Removing IPs in Logs

Go to solution Solved by pir8radio,

Hey Folks,

Little Question:

Is it possible to disable the logging of IP Address on the server? I have a few mates using it and i kind of feel a bit bad because i get their IP Addresses everytime they login.

So is there any possibility to disable this? or could you kindly point me in the right direction to remove it in the code? :)

I even tried to do a reverse proxy in front of the reverse proxy of my emby server to disgintuish the users ip, but it still gets it.

So if you have any advice, i would be happy :)

Greetings

Why would you feel bad? if someone is connecting to your machine I think the Ip address is something you'd want to be aware of as the administrator of your server.

• Solution
pir8radio

Yea, I think most people will agree with what Luke said, and just having their address doesn't mean you can really do anything to them, or with the address. Every website they/you visit collects the user's IP's.  But if you find you want to put an nginx reverse proxy up in front of it you can make all of the IP's appear as a single fake IP. 

• 2 weeks later...
tymanthius

Where in the logs do I find someone's IP?  As in I want see user Snuffy's IP when he logged in yesterday at 13:03?

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, I think most people will agree with what Luke said, and just having their address doesn't mean you can really do anything to them, or with the address. Every website they/you visit collects the user's IP's.  But if you find you want to put an nginx reverse proxy up in front of it you can make all of the IP's appear as a single fake IP. 

Did exactly this now, with my NGINX Reverse proxy

For everyone else if you want to do this too, just set this two Parameters to a random local IP (Doesnt have to be existing, just valid)

proxy_set_header X-Real-IP 192.168.178.192;
 proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-for 192.168.178.192;

If anyone has an advice if this is bad practice, good ahead and correct me :-)

Final Statement:

My Users are my friends. i trust my Friends. I do not want their IPs show up in my Logs, because i trust them as they trust me.
And if i need to do Server Maintenance, i can still lookup the NGINX Log files.
Edited by cyberplay

pir8radio

Did exactly this now, with my NGINX Reverse proxy

For everyone else if you want to do this too, just set this two Parameters to a random local IP (Doesnt have to be existing, just valid)

proxy_set_header X-Real-IP 192.168.178.192;
 proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-for 192.168.178.192;

If anyone has an advice if this is bad practice, good ahead and correct me :-)

Final Statement:

My Users are my friends. i trust my Friends. I do not want their IPs show up in my Logs, because i trust them as they trust me.
And if i need to do Server Maintenance, i can still lookup the NGINX Log files.

Careful using an internal range like 192.168.x.x  I would ping google and maybe use their address..   Emby tries to force a higher bitrate for local users rather than checking their available bandwidth.    You might find some users complaining of choppy video.  I would use some random external IP if you can.    Within nginx you can choose not to log the ip in the nginx logs.    But if you ever have a malicious user/hacker you wont be able to do any investigating. 

Edited by pir8radio