174 replies to this topic

#161 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5300 posts
  • Local time: 11:50 PM

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:57 PM

but with the tone you guys are giving us here, it doesn't seem like its going to be anytime soon.

Do not let the past be any indicator of the future. Anytime soon is not a time frame it is ambiguous. Same as the time frames given to you to implement this feature request.

If you want to argue about time frames pick a date and deadline. Say by this date you will have your cake. When that cake isn't delivered by the date the cake is a lie. We are not liars. We do have cake.

The best managers of projects can only do so much with time. Time is your biggest enemy and largest antagonist. It will always be against you, used to judge you, and used as a gauge of value. But it isn't actually so cut and dry.

What you see isn't half, or a quarter, or even 10% of what is in development. You are privy to just a small opportunity to see/hear some of what there is being worked on because we are honest. But there is competition in this space. We cannot share everything. It is very competitive. If the competition has this in a fairly robust manner than anytime soon will be sooner than you think. You just need patience. Less anger and just be rational and let this just play out and see where it goes. It has a happy ending like all fairy tales. :)

Edited by speechles, 27 August 2019 - 12:00 AM.

#162 wiwolavida OFFLINE  

wiwolavida

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 08:50 AM

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:26 AM

I wonder what comes first. This feature being implemented or me getting ftth and making this feature mainly obsolete...

#163 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5300 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:34 AM

I wonder what comes first. This feature being implemented or me getting ftth and making this feature mainly obsolete...

Such negativity and you wonder why you chase developers away from commenting. It makes them feel they are stepping into dog mess and then leaving footprints of that mess everywhere. Instead try to get them interested in getting this feature implemented. As @nayr has done. Not sarcastically taking cheap shots just for the sake of cheap shots. Part of the solution or part of the problem?

Btw @nayr you are a fine gentleman and worthy of this debate. 

Edited by speechles, 27 August 2019 - 02:35 AM.

#164 daedalus OFFLINE  

daedalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1100 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:45 PM

Such negativity and you wonder why you chase developers away from commenting. It makes them feel they are stepping into dog mess and then leaving footprints of that mess everywhere. Instead try to get them interested in getting this feature implemented. As @nayr has done. Not sarcastically taking cheap shots just for the sake of cheap shots. Part of the solution or part of the problem?

there are people that simply finally have had enough and the devs had put them off

every "cheap shot" just shows how frustrated they are

• SikSlayer likes this

#165 WGB123 OFFLINE  

WGB123

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

Here's some positivity to counteract that negative stuff:  You guys have a great product - so much better than your competition.  Can't wait for this new feature to be rolled out, making Emby even more awesome!

• SikSlayer likes this

#166 SikSlayer OFFLINE  

SikSlayer

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 617 posts
  • Local time: 02:50 AM
  • LocationEast Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:03 PM

Crap, I had a whole long rant about how much I love Emby and all this and I lost it due to a simple mis-click.  :angry: (Stupid auto-save didn't kick in in time)

I wanted to dog pile on the positivity train WGB123 started. I LOVE Emby, I've been using it since before it was called Media Browser in the Vista days. I want to see it grow and improve.

I STILL feel shitty that it took me so long to be a lifetime subscriber. Pretty sure I made a thread on the subject.

I positively HATE that Plex gets the press and love for something you guys pioneered first.

But put simply, your most involved and users and paying customers feel like they are being talked down to. We see feature requests either answered with canned responses, or what comes off as apathy. There (is/was?) a whole thread about it.

But it's speechles's posts that has me posting myself. Please don't think for a second that I and others don't understand where the developers are coming from. It's understandable that you don't want to show your hand before you play the cards (or however the phrase goes), but this HEVC thing is a TEXTBOOK example of what I and others have an issue with. As you say, it's well documented why this feature is needed, but seemingly useless debate comes first for what should have been obvious even when it was first requested.

I trust that HEVC will be implemented as requested sometime soon, but at this point I hope even more so that this issue isn't repeated for AV1 specifically, and that this is a positive learning experience for both users and developers going forward.

PS: I just happened to read more into on the AV1 subject, and I feel I have a more realistic expectation on when it's feasible (more like 2021/2022 than late 2020). I'm also willing to bet Nvidia won't have FULL HW decoding (let alone encoding) on their video cards until MAYBE AFTER their next line of cards on whatever die shrink they go to next. It might be mixed first. By then, Intel might finally get out of their own rut, and have decoding support the year after that.

Edited by SikSlayer, 28 August 2019 - 09:09 AM.

#167 KarlDag OFFLINE  

KarlDag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

Understand what? That @Happy2Play finds it useless?

I dont use Cover Art Plugin, Cloud/Floder Sync, Alexa/Home Integration, LDAP, or Podcasts, I find them useless too.. I paid for a premium subscription primarily for hardware transcoding, which amazingly enough required additional hardware.. its those premium features that support this project right? Is that not why HW transcoding became a premium feature in the first place was to increase subscriptions? is money supporting the project useless? If I give money because of a feature, and that money is used to improve a feature you do use, is it still useless to you?

its low quality posts just like yours @Happy2Play that contribute only to the contention and aggravation in this thread.. yes, we got it.. its a feature that will eventually come, thats been clear for years now.. thank you for your service.

You have a terrible attitude. Your use case is not everyone's, and other people want other things just as much.

Devs said it's coming, if you can't wait then move on.

Edited by KarlDag, 28 August 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#168 daedalus OFFLINE  

daedalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1100 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

You have a terrible attitude. Your use case is not everyone's, and other people want other things just as much.

and just because he has a different use case he's not allowed to be upset for not seeing progress on what he paid for?

he's just a year here and already knows what others know for years

Devs said it's coming, if you can't wait then move on.

we have waited and still wait for partly dead simple things for literally years, i totally can understand him

Edited by daedalus, 28 August 2019 - 10:57 AM.

• SikSlayer likes this

#169 Fratopolis OFFLINE  

Fratopolis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • Local time: 01:50 AM

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

Boohoohooo 😭

#170 byakuya32 OFFLINE  

byakuya32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:22 PM

Is there an update on when this feature will be released so I can convert my videos to h.265?

#171 wiwolavida OFFLINE  

wiwolavida

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:01 AM

Is there an update on when this feature will be released so I can convert my videos to h.265?

The update was: "we might be working on it."

If you only want to convert your videos, you should use handbrake. It supports HW acceleration. You just create a profile and drop your videos in a folder watched by handbrake. It will convert them automatically. It's available for all OS and Docker.

Also this feature is for transcoding your files to offer h265 with a certain bitrate for playback and syncing. It's not indented for reencoding your whole library to h265.

Edited by wiwolavida, 02 September 2019 - 04:21 AM.

#172 neik OFFLINE  

neik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:48 AM

If you could use it for syncing then probably you could also use it for converting as well and therefore it could be used for reencoding. ;-)
  • VirgilFox likes this

#173 ChuckieTodd OFFLINE  

ChuckieTodd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 01:50 AM

Posted Yesterday, 10:13 PM

I see H.265 (HEVC) under Preferred Hardware Encoders.  Does this mean it's been added?

5d882a17c06e9_h265.png

#174 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 136138 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM

No, not yet.

#175 byakuya32 OFFLINE  

byakuya32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:44 PM

Is there a timeline for this feature yet?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Transcode H265

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users