OT: Catalog Video Files Found on USB Drive

Latchmor

Latchmor

Hi all, anyone know of a small app or script that you can run on a directory that will list/export the contents to html pages so you could use the resulting files to browse directories and play the files?

The files are all mp4/aac so if it listed them 1 video per page with <video src="Name Of File.mp4" controls preload="metadata"></video> so they are embedded in the page that would be great! I could perhaps allow the user with this drive to run the app/script every time a new directory/video is added and it would create updated html files.

I can do html/css myself so it's no big deal, just trying to save some time by getting the donkey work done quickly and I'll 'tart up' the files. I guess I'm trying to create a Portable Media Browser!!!  :P

Cheers

Latchmor

AdrianW

You can always open a CMD window, and type this (assuming E: is your USB drive):

E:

dir /b > listing.txt

Which will create a file called listing.txt containing all the file names.

tree /A > tree.txt

would give you a tree listing.

Edited by AdrianW

Latchmor

Thanks guys. After searching for a while I decided to create a vbscript based on some others I found and a lot of trial and error!

I run the script from the folder with all the MP4s and it creates an html page for each MP4 with the MP4 embedded and it also creates a contents/menu page with links to the individual pages. Working ok so far but I'm still tweaking adding some CSS and Company Logo etc.

Cheers