Which distro for stability in Intel HD HW acceleration?

blj

As my topic states, i could use some advice from concerning which Linux distro, would be best to handle Intel HD GPU Assisted transcoding. I should mention this is on an Intel J3710 Chipset.

Personally i would prefer to run FreeBSD, but from what i can tell, intel HD support isn't quite there yet (not on the newer chips, anyway).

My alternative to FreeBSD would be Debian, but somewhere i read that Ubuntu might be better suited.

Anyways, if anyone have som advice it would be great.

Regards,

Brian.

mastrmind11

As my topic states, i could use some advice from concerning which Linux distro, would be best to handle Intel HD GPU Assisted transcoding. I should mention this is on an Intel J3710 Chipset.

Personally i would prefer to run FreeBSD, but from what i can tell, intel HD support isn't quite there yet (not on the newer chips, anyway).

My alternative to FreeBSD would be Debian, but somewhere i read that Ubuntu might be better suited.

Anyways, if anyone have som advice it would be great.

Regards,

Brian.

You're not going to get support for QSV in any distro w/ a kernel > 4.1 I believe, other than RHEL and CentOS... unless you build and compile a custom kernel that includes the Intel SDK stuff.  

puithove

You're not going to get support for QSV in any distro w/ a kernel > 4.1 I believe, other than RHEL and CentOS... unless you build and compile a custom kernel that includes the Intel SDK stuff.  

True, but any distro will have VAAPI built-in which can also be used.  It's just a matter of having driver support.  If you have newer hardware, you might need a distro that's more up to date.  While I don't have much experience with Debian, they're usually slower (more stable) to pick up new stuff unless you're running one of their testing branches.  Ubuntu would likely have newer drivers, but doesn't necessarily mean it's better for your use case.

Personally, I'm using VAAPI just fine on Archlinux (my preferred distro for home) on Kaby Lake with.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, i think i've looked into one of debian's newer branches and they might have support. And i was btw, thinking af VAAPI and not QSV. 

Hmm, just saw Debian 9 was released.. Anyone knows if it is supporting newer intel chipset / gpu's?

I can't find the info on any of their wiki's, this linux thing is exciting to work with, but a hassle to get info on hardware and driver support, and what possibilities there is to manually install driver in the various systems... 

b0mb

I'm running Emby on OMV 3 with backport Kernel on an Apollo lake celeron with VAAPI working ;-)

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 3 mit Tapatalk

Edited by b0mb

I'm running Emby on OMV 3 with backport Kernel on an Apollo lake celeron with VAAPI working ;-)

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 3 mit Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback !

Huberer

For me VAAPI is also working. You can see in my sig my server. First it didn't work, even I've updated to the latest Intel GPU-driver (v1.8.1) for Debian 8 (OMV v3 with backport kernel).

But fortunately I found this how-to and with the description, beginning with "Check which ffmpeg version is installed..." (I've already emby server beta and ffmpeg installed) I could solve this issue.

So my recommendation goes to Openmediavault v3 with backport kernel. But with this how-to I guess you can also use GPU-transcoding with other Linux distros as well. 

What is important to this how-to. The user "emby" has nothing to do with the user you setup during installation of emby. Leave the how-to like that and just follow the steps there (nothing to change).

hmm, again great replies, thanks.. Made me consider OMV 3 for homeserver solution, with backport 4.9 kernel...

My original plan was to handle the home server solely through ssh and manually configure everything by hand. The goal while doing this, was to learn a little more Linux.

Huberer

With OMV v3 you have both of two worlds. A GUI for setting up the server (which was very good for me as I'm also a linux noob) and still some ssh things to handle which you can't with GUI. E.g. there's no (latest) Ember package for OMV. So you can install it via ssh. There's a good how-to here in the forum. Unfortunately the link to the direct description is down at the moment. But go to Debian and choose which version you want to install. I'v chosen Emby server beta and there you need Debian 8 description. 

hooray4me

I've cycled through almost every flavor of Ubuntu with a million different drivers. The best setup that has worked for me is Ubuntu 17.10 using vaapi and the i965-va-driver from deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu artful main universe (1.8.3 version). This has given me the best transcoding results with the least artifacts.