Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

K1ng_Lear
On 6/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, Dibbes said:

Amazon Prime already has this. Not sure how they're doing it, but I was re-watching some episodes of House on Prime and it gave me the option for every episode except the first of the season...

You can‘t compare it with prime or Netflix, because those guys know exactly where it starts and end. EMBY have to detect it by itself because every use have a different library. I think the thing Plex has done was really genius. Nothing else is this a nice to have feature but it don’t compensate all the things which made me switch over from plex to EMBY. (e.g. plex concentrated to much on third party stuff like tidal and web bullshit, in plex I  never can’t customise the look like on EMBY, plex support is unfriendly, plex is incredibly slow)

Edited by K1ng_Lear
  • Like 2

Dibbes

You can‘t compare it with prime or Netflix, because those guys know exactly where it starts and end. EMBY have to detect it by itself because every use have a different library. I think the thing Plex has done was really genius. Nothing else is this a nice to have feature but it don’t compensate all the things which made me switch over from plex to EMBY. (e.g. plex concentrated to much on third party stuff like tidal and web bullshit, in plex I  never can’t customise the look like on EMBY, plex support is unfriendly, plex is incredibly slow)

I wasn't comparing, I was just pointing out that Prima has this when a few days back rechigo said it didn't...

I agree with you on the rest though! I gave Plex a bit of a try in December, but really disliked it.

biggcriz

If its too complex I would love to just have a box for intro start and finish that I could manually add values. You could even make a wizard where you mark the start and end of the intro for the first episode (of the season or series) and then it would automatically pull up that section on the following episodes with a start and end marker that you could adjust (perhaps a timeline with two sliders?). I would assume most files would be close unless they have cold opens. I am not a coder and that maybe way more complex than its worth but just thinking out loud. That being said I feel like I could buzz through my shows pretty fast with something like that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
heciruam

In addition skip intro I would also like to see:
- Skip recap
Which could be combined with the intro if they are back to back. Obviously this has to be edited by every admin manually.
- Skip outro

Some shows have an outro, which is followed up by some more content and at last there is a title scroll or logos till the end. I would like to be able to skip the outro, then watch the little ending before I jump to next episode.

Edited by heciruam

• 2 months later...

I think it would be a good idea  to add it

But probably will be better if add the option to manually add The time of skip intro 

Example :. That i can add.  Times like this. 

Set TV show intro: ( for season or at least for tv show) 

Start: 1m 15s

End: 2m 5s 

I dont talk about to put it for all tv shows as no all tv shows start intro at same time ( some tv shows has a part of the episode before intro. Or come with ( previously on ..... Resume of last episode ... And with that it would be more time as normally take ). 

When we download episodes from internet we could check that some episodes bring with resume of last episode  not all episodes bring that. 

Another is. in some tv shows probably intro is about 1:10 or 1:20.minutes of   Duration.   But in others it takes untill 2 minutes  . Then we could calculated that watching first episode and taking the exactly time that intro took it 

Seasons: usually in every tv show the intro change when a new season arrive. .. different time to start and end. (Is not the same intro  on each season ) 

Thats my suggestion .... Thanks for read 

• 2 weeks later...
MajesticMaerlyn
On 21/05/2020 at 05:37, ebr said:

Has anyone actually tried it or just going from their marketing announcement?

I use it, it works well. But it does need to detect it for each title (scheduled task) for it to appear.

It functions like Netflix as far as user experience 

MindBullet

Hey guys!

I was thinking about this feature as well and I'm running a Plex Server with my Emby server. Plex recently introduced the skip intro feature and it's detecting intros as a pre-processed task which you can set like you would set a thumbnail extraction task. I love this feature so much and would even love it more on Emby. I'm too less of a tech-guy to say how they do it, but it has to analyse the episodes somehow and then put markers where the intro starts and stops.

Would love to see this on Emby as well, considering this thread is 3 years old already and has quite some good feedback

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 9:20 PM, Midaz said:

Any update about this feature request ? 

It's something that we're interested in for future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

whiteowl3

In the absence of publicly available data to this effect, somebody, somewhere is going to have to start with a contributor-network style plugin that scrapes data back from clients as they set the correct values in their servers, and with people bailing on Plex, nobody on earth is in a better position to do that than you are, luke.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 1:33 PM, Luke said:

Yea it's a good idea.

I wrote a little python app that will take a source audiofile or a video with start, end params and return where it matches in other video files. Let's say the office has a 30 second intro, you find where it is in an episode and then pass that parameter in for all office episodes. It will tell you on each episode where to skip 30 seconds.

1 hour ago, dotcom said:

I wrote a little python app that will take a source audiofile or a video with start, end params and return where it matches in other video files. Let's say the office has a 30 second intro, you find where it is in an episode and then pass that parameter in for all office episodes. It will tell you on each episode where to skip 30 seconds.

What if all you have is a single episode?

4 hours ago, dotcom said:

Want to share with us so we can play with it?

2 hours ago, Luke said:

What if all you have is a single episode?

Well, how probably is that? Even if it happens, skipping the intro once isn't really a pain, it's more of a pain when you have to skip it over and over again while watching a complete show...

This would be an awesome feature for user experience...

samuelqwe
31 minutes ago, neik said:

Well, how probably is that? Even if it happens, skipping the intro once isn't really a pain, it's more of a pain when you have to skip it over and over again while watching a complete show...

I just watch to chime in and say, I agree with that. If I have to skip the intro once or twice it’s not a huge deal, but if I’m binge watching a show or it’s something that I watch very frequently, then that’s when I would like to be able to skip the intros.

• Like 2

Ever noticed how Netflix will not give the "Skip Intro" option on the first episode in a series, it will only allow intro skipping for all following episodes.

I think that if Emby were to handle it the same way, it would eliminate issues of having only one episode, should any arise.

Netflix's intro skip isn't perfect either.

However, creating a community API, which allows people to submit their intro configurations would be a good idea.

Calculate duplicate submissions and find an average time for each episode in a series. (big job you say?... probably... ;) but video backdrops does it).

The fact that some shows will recap prior to the intro would also have to be taken into consideration.

Something like this seems like a small enough bit of data to handle an online resource. (this is just a made up  example...)

{
SeriesName : "Star Trek: The Next Generation",
SeasonIndex: 2,
EpisodeIndex: 2,
IntroStart: "00:00:05:00",
IntroEnd: "00:00:30:00"
}

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chef said:

However, creating a community API, which allows people to submit their intro configurations would be a good idea.

I really don't think we could (or should, rather) do that.  Right now we send absolutely no information about your media anywhere outside of your network.  Even as an "opt-in" feature, this would just open the door for people to think we're doing malevolent things with knowledge of their media.  I don't really want to crack that door open.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ebr said:

I really don't think we could (or should, rather) do that.  Right now we send absolutely no information about your media anywhere outside of your network.  Even as an "opt-in" feature, this would just open the door for people to think we're doing malevolent things with knowledge of their media.  I don't really want to crack that door open.

Fair enough!

Then follow the example of the competition and add a similar feature. 😉

7 hours ago, ebr said:

I'll stop writing a service... :)

19 hours ago, neik said:

Want to share with us so we can play with it?

This would be an awesome feature for user experience...

I understand. He wrote a script based on the requirement of having a theme song. I'm not sure if we'd want to be dependent on that or not.

samuelqwe
4 hours ago, Luke said:

I understand. He wrote a script based on the requirement of having a theme song. I'm not sure if we'd want to be dependent on that or not.

I would think that shows with intros would pretty much all have theme songs or distinctive audio during that intro. Therefore, depending on a theme song would most likely work fine for the most part.

The only thing you wouldn’t be able to identify easily with this method are recaps, but I think those are generally less common or happen just before the intro, so you could probably give a per show toggle to treat anything before the intro as skippable in that case.

6 hours ago, samuelqwe said:

Therefore, depending on a theme song would most likely work fine for the most part.

The issue is that the method depends on you having that theme song in your library.

If I watch an episode of Young Sheldon, I usually only have to press the "skip forward" button once to skip the intro, but Star Trek,  is always twice, doesn't matter which Trek series it is.

I wonder if looking at Networks, is an option? Sitcom comedies usually have a short intro, whereas HBO,  All Access, or even Netflixs will have longer intros.