Hey Emby time for catch up with Plex

SHSPVR

SHSPVR

It look like Plex get down dirt is now directly support 3rdparty ATSC hardware like AVerMedia and Hauppauge TV tuner even a across the pond for DVB-C, DVB-T, or DVB-T2 formats, and just heard that they add the WinTV-quadHD to mix

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

It look like Plex get down dirt is now directly support 3rdparty ATSC hardware like AVerMedia and Hauppauge TV tuner even a across the pond for DVB-C, DVB-T, or DVB-T2 formats, and just heard that they add the WinTV-quadHD to mix

I have had a Hauppauge PCIe tv tuner DVB-T card running with WMC/mediabrowser and now emby for years??
  • Like 1

SHSPVR

I have had a Hauppauge PCIe tv tuner DVB-T card running with WMC/mediabrowser and now emby for years??

That fine but your stuck with Windows 7 for that and what Plex has plans you will not need any 3rdparty tools add on.

Edited by SHSPVR

PrincessClevage

That fine but your stuck with Windows 7 for that and what Plex has plans you will not need any 3rdparty tools add on.

Currently running window 10 creators update (WMC port for win 10) ServerWMC and latest Emby

Spaceboy

Currently running window 10 creators update (WMC port for win 10) ServerWMC and latest Emby

this is true but who wouldn't appreciate native support for tv cards? I already had to use a hack to get channels and epg into wmc and it was never stable. And now I am still fighting but failing to get Emby to play nice with my tv provider through a different 3rd P service. So much so that I've had to use iptv as my main tv source. But I would appreciate the chance to get my tv cards working with Emby Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 1

PrincessClevage

this is true but who wouldn't appreciate native support for tv cards? I already had to use a hack to get channels and epg into wmc and it was never stable. And now I am still fighting but failing to get Emby to play nice with my tv provider through a different 3rd P service. So much so that I've had to use iptv as my main tv source. But I would appreciate the chance to get my tv cards working with Emby

I think going forward the future will be i.p based cards, although it would be nice as you say. Currently I have no issue with epg and live tv using Emby Theater (desktop version) and also an xbox1, iOS , android and ET windows store clients.

SHSPVR

I think going forward the future will be i.p based cards, although it would be nice as you say. Currently I have no issue with epg and live tv using Emby Theater (desktop version) and also an xbox1, iOS , android and ET windows store clients.

As long as your ISP doesn't have data cap then that is fine but for rest of us we don't have other option

PrincessClevage

As long as your ISP doesn't have data cap then that is fine but for rest of us we don't have other option

i.p based card = network TV tuner card connected to your home network (no wan traffic at all) Edited by PrincessClevage

SHSPVR

i.p based card = network TV tuner card connected to your home network (no wan traffic at all)

They are called Network-Attached TV Tuner as you said i.p based cards which cover a lot device even right to your phone.

Why would I buy an HDHomeRun CONNECT or EXTEND 2-Tuner ATSC when we can get WinTV quadHD and 2 more tuner for same price or less

And best the parts is it can be build in all one box

CBers

Plex Live TV isn't available for all platforms as yet.

I believe it only works on the Android TV and iOS currently.

It is still in beta, so they'll have loads of teething troubles.

I do like their ATV interface though.

SHSPVR

Plex Live TV isn't available for all platforms as yet.

I believe it only works on the Android TV and iOS currently.

It is still in beta, so they'll have loads of teething troubles.

I do like their ATV interface though.

The info is out date you may read thru some of this CBers

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/230456/dvr-function-for-pci-cards/p1

CBers

The info is out date you may read thru some of this CBers

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/230456/dvr-function-for-pci-cards/p1

Isn't that about different tuners?

I was talking about Live TV and DVR in general.

In this video (1m 25s), Plex state that you can only watch Live TV and configure the DVR on Android TV and iOS.

SHSPVR

Yes I guest that the case I don't have access right but I hope to soon

But from what I got so far Windows and Linux is also support where before it was only NAS device.

BAlGaInTl

I think Plex is "catching up" with Emby on Live TV, not the other way around.

Live TV is one of the main reasons I left Plex for Emby.

PrincessClevage

In this video (1m 25s), Plex state that you can only watch Live TV and configure the DVR on Android TV and iOS.

Gee they make it sound super terrific Tv

CBers

I think Plex is "catching up" with Emby on Live TV, not the other way around.

It sure is, but they may have features that Emby could add/change/update.

SHSPVR

In this

(1m 25s), Plex state that you can only watch Live TV and configure the DVR on Android TV and iOS.

Keep in mind that all just start on June 1 with beta that why most of the post are June 1 and up it on Plex Pass subscriber forum from I have been get from my source

SHSPVR

I think Plex is "catching up" with Emby on Live TV, not the other way around.

Live TV is one of the main reasons I left Plex for Emby.

How do you fig that when Emby doesn't support any other TV tuner directly with out 3rdparty add like NextPVR and so on

Gee they make it sound super terrific Tv

So true even I wasn't all that impressed at first

Edited by SHSPVR

BAlGaInTl

It sure is, but they may have features that Emby could add/change/update.

Agreed.

I know it's a huge deal, and Emby might not be big enough to drive a lucrative deal... but I think it's going to hurt a lot that the EPG is a separate purchase/setup on Emby.  Yes, Emby is still cheaper, but if you get a lifetime license, your guide data is going to close that gap in a couple years.

I really wish Emby could find a way to integrate that.  I know... that's a tough mountain to climb without the critical mass that Plex has.

How do you fig that when Emby doesn't support any other TV tuner directly with out 3rdparty add like NextPVR and so on

So true even I wasn't all that impressed at first

Because until a few days ago, Plex didn't have Live TV at all.  Therefore it's the one that was catching up in my mind.

I will agree that Plex is supporting more hardware at the moment.  But even from their own page, the HDHomerun (which Emby fully supports) is still the best choice for cross platform compatibility.  Plus, Plex is still missing some critical features that I have been using on Emby for months now.  Until things like viewing on all platforms and pausing live TV are available in Plex (and I'm sure they will be) they are still trying to play catch-up on features.

Certainly we will have to see where things go, but I've watched both projects closely.  I did a lot of research/testing before switching to Emby.  The overall development of Emby is on a much more pleasant pace.  Because it's a smaller and open project, it can pivot and adapt more quickly.  The developers are open about what's going on, and make an effort to stay on parity or surpass other projects. 

Edited by BAlGaInTl
  • Like 1

clarkss12

The only thing Emby needs is, closed caption for the live and recorded streams.  Haven't tried the Plex live TV yet, but I am wavering between the HDHomeRun app and tvheadend, which both have closed captions.  I prefer Emby, but lack of closed captions (CC), will cause it to be tossed aside.

BAlGaInTl

The only thing Emby needs is, closed caption for the live and recorded streams.  Haven't tried the Plex live TV yet, but I am wavering between the HDHomeRun app and tvheadend, which both have closed captions.  I prefer Emby, but lack of closed captions (CC), will cause it to be tossed aside.

I've never used the closed captioning for live TV. 

I used to run TVHeadend first with Kodi, then with Emby.  I just wanted to get away from multiple applications cobbled together for my solution.  Is this a feature request that's been asked for?

SHSPVR

Because until a few days ago, Plex didn't have Live TV at all.  Therefore it's the one that was catching up in my mind.

I will agree that Plex is supporting more hardware at the moment.  But even from their own page, the HDHomerun (which Emby fully supports) is still the best choice for cross platform compatibility.  Plus, Plex is still missing some critical features that I have been using on Emby for months now.  Until things like viewing on all platforms and pausing live TV are available in Plex (and I'm sure they will be) they are still trying to play catch-up on features.

Certainly we will have to see where things go, but I've watched both projects closely.  I did a lot of research/testing before switching to Emby.  The overall development of Emby is on a much more pleasant pace.  Because it's a smaller and open project, it can pivot and adapt more quickly.  The developers are open about what's going on, and make an effort to stay on parity or surpass other projects. 

But I have been telling Emby guy that for a long time that they all should have done direct tuner support to more then one device in the first place then they would all had the upper hand in the long run in the first place ho what do I know, I think there still market for it, If SageTV hadn't been sold off to Google it would have been king now and in a way it still is but not with it UI, but because MS was banking steaming wow guest what it all back fire on them when they stop doing any more work on WMC.

While true they both have there up and downs

Agreed we need watch the projects closely 

But I'm right there a good chance that min ISP are going bring data cap in to play this year if not next year or start drive the price thru roof end with low tier or back old school tech like DSL, And with Pai at the helm of the FCC, it's only going to get even worse.

Oh there one other possible is Phone way of donning thing a setup amount of data after they lower your speed just like on Phones that really suck big time.

Edited by SHSPVR

BAlGaInTl

But I have been telling Emby guy that for a long time that they all should have done direct tuner support to more then one device in the first place then they would all had the upper hand in the long run in the first place ho what do I know, I think there still market for it, If SageTV hadn't been sold off to Google it would have been king now and in a way it still is but not with it UI, but because MS was banking steaming wow guest what it all back fire on them when they stop doing any more work on WMC.

While true they both have there up and downs

Agreed we need watch the projects closely 

But I'm right there a good chance that min ISP are going bring data cap in to play this year if not next year or start drive the price thru roof end with low tier or back old school tech like DSL, And with Pai at the helm of the FCC, it's only going to get even worse.

Oh there one other possible is Phone way of donning thing a setup amount of data after they lower your speed just like on Phones that really suck big time.

But that's a two edged sword.

If you try to support multiple direct hardware devices from the beginning, the development takes much longer to complete, and you limit other features.  I would venture a guess that's it's exactly what happened to Plex.  There is a reason why the HDHomerun was tackled first in Emby I'm sure.  They are already designed to stream the data over a network.  A local hardware based solution is not, which presents a much more difficult problem to solve.  Then you have to apply that solution across multiple interface and hardware solutions.

I think Emby made the right decision to focus on one device first, and instead provide (mostly) full functionality rather than deploying a half-baked solution with lots of hardware support.  But we can agree to disagree on that.

SHSPVR

There should be no reason for Emby not to support after all it embedded in the ts steam just with like with Hauppauge TV Tuner.

Yes it disappoint there only a few DVR/PVR that can directly support that.

I just wondering if maybe Emby has not found a good way to re-embedded back in to convert steam.

SHSPVR

But that's a two edged sword.

If you try to support multiple direct hardware devices from the beginning, the development takes much longer to complete, and you limit other features.  I would venture a guess that's it's exactly what happened to Plex.  There is a reason why the HDHomerun was tackled first in Emby I'm sure.  They are already designed to stream the data over a network.  A local hardware based solution is not, which presents a much more difficult problem to solve.  Then you have to apply that solution across multiple interface and hardware solutions.

I think Emby made the right decision to focus on one device first, and instead provide (mostly) full functionality rather than deploying a half-baked solution with lots of hardware support.  But we can agree to disagree on that.

That because all of hard work is all ready done for them which much diff from the IPTV x264/265 hardware encoder.

Multiple interface and hardware solutions are same across Windows DirectX and Linux V4L2 it matter of pin device name

Be side they don't need support all the hardware solutions out there just two flavors of top sell brands model one USB and PCIe that way people have option