Hey Emby time for catch up with Plex

SHSPVR

clarkss12

I've never used the closed captioning for live TV. 

I used to run TVHeadend first with Kodi, then with Emby.  I just wanted to get away from multiple applications cobbled together for my solution.  Is this a feature request that's been asked for?

There has been multiple request for CC, but it just get ignored.   Old people like me, sometimes have a difficulty understanding TV conversations. 

BAlGaInTl

Does Plex live TV support IPTV (m3u)?

I believe they have a bundle (plug-in) that does it.  It may be a community plug-in and not an official Plex feature.

Jdiesel

I believe they have a bundle (plug-in) that does it.  It may be a community plug-in and not an official Plex feature.

Yeah I am aware of the IPTV bundle which is less than ideal and it is just a basic list of current programs. I was thinking more along what Emby does with full guide integration and PVR features.

As far as Live TV goes anything less than a grid view is not sufficient in my opinion. I don't use any hardware that requires third party plugins so I can't comment on that but my experience with the built in Live TV functionality has been great. The option to use PVR backends is a benefit IMO as long as they are continued to be supported and developed.       

CBers

Emby needs a bit more work to fully integrate IPTV sources into it's Live TV.

Jdiesel

Emby needs a bit more work to fully integrate IPTV sources into it's Live TV.

What is it missing? I can't think of anything other than maybe having some options to help manually parse the input m3u/xml.

CBers

What is it missing? I can't think of anything other than maybe having some options to help manually parse the input m3u/xml.

Sorting and numbering within Emby, rather than having to manually edit a potentially large file.

Spaceboy

Sorting and numbering within Emby, rather than having to manually edit a potentially large file.

Also

Handling adding new channels better

Updating channel names

Combining channels with other sources

Better manual assignment of epg

Basically everything wmc used to do

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

How about mini guide (4-6lines picture in picture) when push down arrow on the remote and when selecting guide button guide appears semi transparent with live tv still playing behind guide like used to in WMC .

How about mini guide (4-6lines picture in picture) when push down arrow on the remote and when selecting guide button guide appears semi transparent with live tv still playing behind guide like used to in WMC .

Something like this?

593abf1b64c41_inplaybackguide.png

SHSPVR

Or, perhaps, you'd rather have something like this?

I'm still wait for that Emby for LG Smart TV I perf NoN

Edited by SHSPVR

PrincessClevage

Something like this?

593abf1b64c41_inplaybackguide.png

Looks great, not sure info is needed when using mini guide (4-6lines for quick view, active by pushing down arrow on remote) tho (top right), imo leave live tv full screen and for mini guide just show 4-6 lines (no show info). Pressing full guide button displays semi transparent (live TV running behind) full screen TV guide with info etc (for a more detailed look). Same as WMC ( I think they got it right years ago;-)

Looks great, not sure info is needed when using mini guide (4-6lines for quick view, active by pushing down arrow on remote) tho (top right), imo leave live tv full screen and for mini guide just show 4-6 lines (no show info). Pressing full guide button displays semi transparent (live TV running behind) full screen TV guide with info etc (for a more detailed look). Same as WMC ( I think they got it right years ago;-)

Doesn't the second screenshot I posted basically give you that (but in a program, oriented layout instead of time grid)?

PrincessClevage

Doesn't the second screenshot I posted basically give you that (but in a program, oriented layout instead of time grid)?

Yes but..

1.Images do not show a quick timeline view e.g quick guide to see how what time my fav show starts, pull up quick guide and see on different channel it starts at 7:15 giving me 10 mins to go do something and be back in time

2. Where do you source your images from? All response from the Icetv guys on the icetv thread have stopped so currently some of us do not have tv show images in our epg data.

1.  The first one does and allows you to still see the entire currently playing program

2.  A combination of guide data and our other metadata providers (mostly for movies I think)

PrincessClevage

1. The first one does and allows you to still see the entire currently playing program

2. A combination of guide data and our other metadata providers (mostly for movies I think)

Indeed, I still think mini guide + full guide approach worked well in WMC

Spaceboy

Also no because you are only showing what's on those channels now. With wmc it was a full guide just with fewer rows

• 4 years later...
On 6/8/2017 at 8:19 AM, clarkss12 said:

The only thing Emby needs is, closed caption for the live and recorded streams.  Haven't tried the Plex live TV yet, but I am wavering between the HDHomeRun app and tvheadend, which both have closed captions.  I prefer Emby, but lack of closed captions (CC), will cause it to be tossed aside.

Universal closed caption support is coming: 

SHSPVR
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Universal closed caption support is coming: 

Cool I can't wait

• Thanks 1

BillOatman
On 6/8/2017 at 6:36 AM, BAlGaInTl said:

I think Plex is "catching up" with Emby on Live TV, not the other way around.

Live TV is one of the main reasons I left Plex for Emby.

On 6/8/2017 at 6:42 AM, SHSPVR said:

How do you fig that when Emby doesn't support any other TV tuner directly with out 3rdparty add like NextPVR and so on

IPTV that Plex decided to stop supporting.  That's why I went from Plex to Emby some time back.  

• Like 1

BillOatman
On 6/8/2017 at 11:40 AM, BAlGaInTl said:

Its called xTeVe.  Not a plugin but a independent 3rd party application.  Works great for what it is.  It pretends to be a hdhomerun so it tricks plex into showing IPTV programming.

Edited by BillOatman

SHSPVR
On 12/4/2021 at 3:06 PM, BillOatman said:

IPTV that Plex decided to stop supporting.  That's why I went from Plex to Emby some time back.  

Hope lee Emby will work direct support but I still SOL on Capture card like HD-PVR 2, Colossus 2 so I still have relied on NextPVR as I have cable box.