Ideas on Emby VM's

tymanthius

tymanthius

So I have emby running in an LXC container on proxmox.  It has access to all 4 cores, which are single threaded (Quad core Intel Core i5-6600K).  I'm not overclocked at all.

I am begining to get enough simultaneous users that sometimes it has trouble. Rarely, and only w/ 4k content so far.

But, I was wondering if it would be worth spinning up another VM for emby and see if that helps?

I would think not, as it's the same physical CPU *UNLESS* splitting the cores, 2 per vm, would make it more efficient.

But it's always good to ask around to see what people have tried/discovered.

Guest plexman

In my case, I have the same CPU as you (well i5-6600 without "K") and I have Emby dedicated with VAAPI HW Acc. I can tell you that the server is capable of transcoding up to 5-8 simultaneous 1080p without any problem. I think it is capable of more but never went so far. So the point is, I recomend you to use a dedicated machine for maximum perfomance, and max simultaneous streams. In addition if you have an SSD, you'll see the server flying.

In the case you want to keep your container setup, try giving the container 8 cores, I don't think having two parallel containers will be more efficient. LXC manages itself to give core and process priority to what it's needed, in my opinion there is no point on splitting containers.

Regards!

tymanthius

I'd give more cores, but if you look at the stats, it's a 4 core processor w/o multithreading.  I don't see how adding fictional cores would work.

And you're right about it running 1080p streams just fine.  It's ONLY 4k content, and even then, only if it's doing a lot of other work too.  

My other thought is to run as 2nd emby server w/ one of the 'junk' computers I have just for me. ;)