Important info about the next server release

Luke

Ok guys the build is up and will be rolled out to you shortly per our staggering schedule. If you all could please help us over the next couple weeks by answering questions related to these changes, it will allow us to go back to doing what I know you want us to do. Which is more features :). So not only here, but on any other sites you may frequent that have media browser discussions. It would be extremely helpful if could help spread the information. Thanks.

• Like 3

There isn't, however I would like for it to be self-explanatory so please let me know if you get tripped up. If anyone would like to write a guide for it, feel free as well.

Starkadius

You would need to setup different media folders with the different media locations and then share only the appropriate ones.

We're working right now on figuring out how to do that so that different users can have different media folders with the same display name.

Grr I am regretting updating to this latest version it has totally changed the way I had setup my media folders which was actually what was as suggested in the Guide as shown in the second image when not using the Default library. As I described in the previous posts but my issue is real now. Now I have to either create multiple "Movie" media folders for example "Movies" for myself with access to all the movies and "Movies-1" for another user with only a select number of folders etc. For the time being I am going to have to block access to mediabrowser to all the users in the house :\

Would it be possible for me to revert back to the previous server version? I took so long to configure the media folders that the cons outweigh the pros for me at this point. I guess I am going to have to create a feature request for what I described unless something is already in the works. Please advise.

Edited by Starkadius

It was a case where simplicity won out over features. We looked at the double checkbox idea you had, but then we realized that that still might not work because if you only have one Movies folder then everybody will be sharing the same images for it.  We also looked at competing products, and they require unique names too. 

Stark - I think you will find it is actually much easier now.  For you, whom already had it all set up, it may mean a little bit of re-work, but after that, it is so much more logical and straightforward than it was before.

Just define all your media folders once, and then select which ones each user can see.  The only tricky part is the issue with wanting different users to have different views of a same-named media folder.  We will continue to try to find a way to deal with that better.  

Luke - your workaround doesn't actually work.  See the report I made yesterday in the dev forum.  The Media Folders need to maintain unique names.

mboehler

I had a little trouble with this new format at first, too.  But this is what I did to fix it.

I had a collection called TV Shows under my daughter's profile that only contained a few cartoons and the like.  Under my wife's and my profile and under my son's, our TV shows collection contained everything that was in my daughter's, and then others as well.  Like this:

Cami - TV Shows

\\diskstation\media\Kids TV Shows

Mom&Pop, and Eli - TV Shows

\\diskstation\media\TV Shows

What I ended up doing with this new format is basically the same.  I made two folders.

TV Shows contains:

\\diskstation\media\TV Shows

Cami's TV Shows contains:

Mom&Pop and Eli have access to TV Shows but not Cami's TV Shows.  Cami has access to Cami's TV Shows, but not TV Shows.

The only difference that can be seen in MB Classic now, is that my daughter sees Cami's TV Shows instead of TV Shows.  And she's actually thrilled that it has her name on it like that.  I might go ahead and create one just for Eli too, so he can have a personalized one.  Even though it will basically contain everything in my wife and mine as well.

Edited by mboehler
  • Like 4

Starkadius

@@mboehler Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately I tend to lean towards the media folder view such as on Media Browser Classic and instead of simply saying "Movies" it will say "[username]-Movies" or whatever the case may be. I want to keep it uniform across all the users. Movies=Movies, TV=TV, Music=Music etc etc.

The only tricky part is the issue with wanting different users to have different views of a same-named media folder.  We will continue to try to find a way to deal with that better.  

THIS. I think this is going to be the proper solution if somehow you guys can get it to use the same name for media folders which is how I had it setup before. I simply don't like having different media names across my users. I have 6 different users that each has cross shared folder locations so imagine having to manage 6 different  "[username]-Movies" media folders. I had done this already before the server update and it took quite a while. I have no problem having to redo this again I just want to be able to use the same media folder name if at all possible.

@@Luke and EBR thanks for trying out the double checkbox idea, at least you made the attempt which is more than I can say for Plex developers  ;). This is why I continue to be fan of MB, you guys actually consider suggestions (when reasonable of course). In a school/corporate environment with hundreds of users I could imagine how having very specific control of media folder shares would have been efficient had it worked.

• Like 1

wallaceff

I'm having trouble getting a profile to populate.

I have the following folder structure

\\tv\media\movies

In this folder are all my movies and a subdirectory called "1.kids" which has kids movies.

I have a user called Media with a profile called Movies that points to \\tv\media\movies.

In media browser, I can go to this profile, and I can also click on 1.kids as a folder in mediabrowser and see a populated list of all those movies.

I thought I would then create a profile called Kids that points to \\tv\media\movies\1.kids

However, in media browser when I click on the kids profile, I get no movies. Nothing.

I tried deleting the profile and recreating it. Nothing.

And checked again that when I go into Movies then 1.kids they are all there.

Can someone tell me what's wrong? Or what log files to find?

It's a different paradigm as before. There aren't user libraries anymore. Now there is one master library that you setup, and then you go into each user account and enable or disable different sections of the library. So the first thing I would do is review your media library setup.

BTW, Luke, did I say I simply love it! Well done buddy for applying that old request, well done indeed.

I workaround the "Movies" matters with simply making another media folder as "Movie" that only have the path for family titles, problem solved :)

\\tv\media\movies

In this folder are all my movies and a subdirectory called "1.kids" which has kids movies.

I have a user called Media with a profile called Movies that points to \\tv\media\movies.

In media browser, I can go to this profile, and I can also click on 1.kids as a folder in mediabrowser and see a populated list of all those movies.

I thought I would then create a profile called Kids that points to \\tv\media\movies\1.kids

However, in media browser when I click on the kids profile, I get no movies. Nothing.

I think your specific issue would have been a problem before and probably still is.  I don't think you can make a sub-folder of an existing media location its own media location.

You will probably need to pull the "1.Kids" folder out of your main movie folder and then add it as a media location to the two different Media Folders.

Airbender

Mine moves the files.

Interesting in mine that did not happen , i aswome we just add the media to liberary and add watch folder and Mb3 does the magic on it own 

Airbender

Hello

It does work and it does move the files wow great work guys , so this option does work for TV shows but not for Mix media or home video but still so cool make life so easy really great work :)

Airbender

Hello Guys

I made a video on howto setup auto-organize option of MB3

However i am not seeing the files getting moved from Temp Folder " Watched" to Liberay folder  "TV Shows"

can someone advise what i am doing wrong ?

Thanks

• Like 2

\\tv\media\movies

It's a different paradigm as before. There aren't user libraries anymore. Now there is one master library that you setup, and then you go into each user account and enable or disable different sections of the library. So the first thing I would do is review your media library setup.

wallaceff

I think your specific issue would have been a problem before and probably still is. I don't think you can make a sub-folder of an existing media location its own media location.

You will probably need to pull the "1.Kids" folder out of your main movie folder and then add it as a media location to the two different Media Folders.

It wasn't a problem before because I had a user called Media and another user called Kids and I only had the ..\1.kids folder assigned to the user Kids which worked fine. But now that all the folders have to assigned as the start and allocated to users, this no longer works. I understand the answer thatbit doesn't work now, just wondering why?

Only problem I had with the server update is that it resorted almost all of my movies with The at the beginning of the title, while I sort them by the name, minus the The. My movie folders are set up Lord of the Rings, The - Return of the King for example, with a sort title in this instance of lord of the rings 3. So, other than having to resort a bunch of my movies (and about 6 hours to scan my library), everything went smoothly.

My thanks to all involved for an excellent program.