Playback stalls, screen turns gray

adam1010

arrbee99

Up to version 1.4.14 and Harvey looks all good, non of that repeating at the end.

adam1010

@@ebr I just had three more playback stalls on the same video. I've sent three more log files (between June-4 1:10am US-Central and 1:40am)

The video was playing as "Direct/I" so this appears to NOT be an VLC related problem, but instead an issue with the internal video player.

@@ebr I just had three more playback stalls on the same video. I've sent three more log files (between June-4 1:10am US-Central and 1:40am)

The video was playing as "Direct/I" so this appears to NOT be an VLC related problem, but instead an issue with the internal video player.

I can't find any logs in that time frame...  user and server name?

Thanks.  If you use plain http (instead of ssl) does it not happen?  Is there a proxy of any kind involved?

It seems like the connection is just getting cut off but, since I can't see when it actually happens, I can't be sure.

adam1010

I can't say for sure -- I only use SSL when I'm not at home. Although I haven't seen this issue inside my network (so far) and I think it uses http locally.

It seems like if the app was losing the connection it would show a buffering icon or just exit the video stream -- currently it's crashing the entire app and I have to Force Close it to get Emby to re-open.

Do you have a way of simulating an interrupted connection in your dev environment?

Yeah, I can try just unplugging a cord and see if there is a problem with the app recovering from that.

adam1010

@@ebr I've verified that it is NOT a dropped connection problem. I connected my Fire TV stick to a 4G hotspot so it would use out-of-network SSL. I then played a show and unplugged ethernet from the server.  The video played for a few seconds more and then froze (with the picture still visible). The UI was still working (I could click Enter to bring up the play controls and I was able to click the Back button to return to the Emby menu).

Any other theories we can test?

Edited by adam1010

adam1010

@@ebr Were you able to glean anything else from the error logs? I'm still having trouble with this when I take my Fire TV stick to a hotel or someone's house. I know for sure one of the connections I used was 30Mbit down so it shouldn't be bandwidth related.

Is there a proxy of any kind involved?

There is more to the connection than just download band width on the receiving end of course.  What is your upload speed at home?  Regardless - none of that should cause a crash.

Can you add me as an Emby Connect Guest account (just use "ebr") and then point me to an item that has the problem?

adam1010

No, there isn't a proxy.  I have a residential Fiber connection that typically provides at least 200Mbps upload.

I don't use Emby Connect but I'll PM you some login info.

• 4 weeks later...
wsramahi

Hello , im having same issue, its happening on emby for android and emby theater on MS Surface Pro 4, movies with blue-ray avc format needs transcending, i have an nvidia hardware transcending and its working fine on web streaming from emby and any IOS device including emby for IOS.

i tried all the options i know on the emby for android TV, can you help plz!

server: win 8.1

emby server: 3.2.20.0

nvidia: quadro M2000

nividia Driver: 22.21.13.8205

CUDA: 5.2

CPU: Intel i7 6700

RAM: 16Gb DDR3

HDD: 2xSSD Evo 850 raid 0

Emby for Android TV: 1.4.17g

FFmpeg: 20170613

here is the logs: movie play back time exactly at 2017-06-30 17:53:00.0178 

post-24776-0-56034900-1498833075_thumb.jpg

post-24776-0-55876900-1498833086_thumb.jpg

ffmpeg-transcode-80963b35-70a6-4d7b-bfa3-fffc9c02b1d5.txt

server-63634377600.txt

Edited by wsramahi

Hi there @@wsramahi, please check your in-app quality setting. In this example it appears to be set to 5mbps, therefore it is trancoding because the media bitrate is higher than that. Please let us know if this helps. thanks !

wsramahi

Hi there @@wsramahi, please check your in-app quality setting. In this example it appears to be set to 5mbps, therefore it is trancoding because the media bitrate is higher than that. Please let us know if this helps. thanks !

thx for the reply, yes i am using the 5mb limit to control the bandwidth, i will try to increase it and test, but is it an option to limit user bandwidth even if the media bit-rate is high?  i know it will effect the quality

thx for the reply, yes i am using the 5mb limit to control the bandwidth, i will try to increase it and test, but is it an option to limit user bandwidth even if the media bit-rate is high?  i know it will effect the quality

@@wsramahi Can you explain this question a little bit more? I'm not quite sure what you mean:

but is it an option to limit user bandwidth even if the media bit-rate is high

But now we have a big problem on your hands. You have configured the app at 5mbps. The app is doing what you've asked it to do by transcoding the video to 5mbps, and yet here you are thinking that the app is doing something wrong. How do we correct this?

wsramahi

@@wsramahi Can you explain this question a little bit more? I'm not quite sure what you mean:

but is it an option to limit user bandwidth even if the media bit-rate is high

But now we have a big problem on your hands. You have configured the app at 5mbps. The app is doing what you've asked it to do by transcoding the video to 5mbps, and yet here you are thinking that the app is doing something wrong. How do we correct this?

Ohh sorry for the mixed info i did, what i mean is the 5 mb limit will give me the option to limit the bandwidth yes and also it will require emby to start transcoding, for that i prepared the nvidia card quadro m2000 with unlimited streams, i thought you are fixing my main issue by removing the 5mb, hope i cleared the missed info ,sorry again!.

the main issue is (Playback stalls, screen turns gray) on android TV with transcoding enabled, emby on android tv hangs after around 10 minutes but its working fine on the web browser and emby for IOS, i noticed from the logs an error with the aac, maybe the emby for android tv internal player needs updating or something.

thanks for reply.

Edited by wsramahi

wsramahi

i think there is another thread GPU Transcoding (Intel QuickSync and nVidia NVENC) related to my issue! maybe i have to repost there.

Using hardware acceleration is still considered experimental so it may cause issues sometimes.

However, it might be worth re-trying this with the latest beta of the Android TV app (1.4.21+) as the internal player has been updated.  Thanks.