Playback stalls, screen turns gray

adam1010

adam1010

This appears to only happen with my Fire TV app -- I've never seen it with my Android TV app.  (Although I am using the Fire TV outside of my home network, which I don't do with the Android TV app)

Randomly (on average probably once an hour) while watching an episode, the screen turns gray, audio stops, and the app becomes unresponsive. Going back to the Fire home screen and re-opening Emby just results in a black screen -- I have to reboot the Fire completely to get Emby to open properly.

After the last occurrence I enabled Debug options and sent a log file to the developers (May-28 11:17 AM US-Eastern). I was able to do so without rebooting the device and instead doing a Force Close on Emby to allow it to re-open.

EDIT: I sent a 2nd log file to developers May-28 11:58 AM US-Eastern)

Edited by adam1010

The video player (in this case VLC) is crashing.

Can you please play one of the items that causes the problem just for a few seconds and then back out and send the log?  I just want to try and determine why VLC is being used since we favor the other player heavily now.

Thanks.

adam1010

@ebr  The video doesn't crash in the same place each time. Once I reboot the Fire and resume the video it plays fine (even if I rewind and replay the same part I was watching). And then after a reboot I usually don't experience the issue for at least 20-30 minutes.  It's happened to me a few dozen times in the last week, across many different TV shows/episodes.

I do have the VLC app installed on the Fire, but I don't use it (so I'm happy to uninstall it if you think it could be related).

Let me know if you still want more logs sent.

Edited by adam1010

You don't have to cause the crash.  Just play something that previously caused it.  I just want to look at the decision logic for why it is choosing to play the item in VLC in the first place.  Thanks.

adam1010

Got it. I updated the VLC app and then played 30sec of video in Emby.

Report Sent:  May-28 2:21 PM US-Eastern

Did you play one of the items that previously caused this problem?  Because that item played in the internal player while your crash was happening in VLC.

BTW - your separate install of VLC on the device is completely unrelated.  The app has a version built in.

adam1010

I'm not sure what episode I was watching the last time it crashed. Can you look in either of my initial crash reports and PM me the episode info?

I'm not sure what episode I was watching the last time it crashed. Can you look in either of my initial crash reports and PM me the episode info?

Unfortunately, the log doesn't go back that far.

adam1010

@@ebr It happened twice more last night so I sent two more log files. I wrote down the video name for these two so let me know how I can help.

Please play one of those items again but just for a few seconds and then back out and send the log.  Thanks.

arrbee99

Sounds similar to what happened to us last night. Daughter was using Emby on a Wetek Play 2S we have and Emby was fine (for one Harry Potter Bluray rip). Think its an old Emby version 1.3.16 maybe.

Watched a different film (Harvey), also bluray rip on 2nd gen FireTV using latest test version. Just stopped after a while with stuck image I think. Pressing Home and trying again didn't help. Clearing cache worked though.

Will try to send a log if I can ever get near the TV.....

Also weird (one off) - it played right to the end of Harvey, then immediately replayed the last scene and credits, then repeated just the credits, then repeated the last 10(ish) seconds of the credits, then stopped.

adam1010

@ebr  As requested, I played a few seconds of one of the videos I experienced the issue with and then sent a log file (May-29 10:00pm US-Pacific)

Also weird (one off) - it played right to the end of Harvey, then immediately replayed the last scene and credits, then repeated just the credits, then repeated the last 10(ish) seconds of the credits, then stopped.

@airbee99 What version of the app did that happen with?  Also, what version is your server?

@ebr  As requested, I played a few seconds of one of the videos I experienced the issue with and then sent a log file (May-29 10:00pm US-Pacific)

"A Bug's Life"?

@@ebr Yes, that's my report (different IP than the others).

Okay, well that played in the internal player as well so we might be looking at two different issues.

adam1010

@@ebr Ok. Once the gray screen appears I am having to go into the Android system menu and Force Stop Emby before returning into it to send the logs. I'm not sure if that's affecting what information is sent -- would it help if I didn't Force Stop and instead pulled the log files off the file system while it was in a crashed state? (If so, please send me instructions for doing so).

The crash has happened on multiple TV shows and movies so it doesn't seem to be an issue with a particular video file.

Is there a way for me to force the use of the internal video player to see if the issue resolves itself?

There is no other reasonable way for you to get the logs.  The next time it happens, note the exact time and report here.  Maybe we will get an automatic log.

If you turn on the Debug Options in the settings, the OSD will tell you how the item is playing.  If it says "Direct/V" it is in VLC.  Just about anything else will be in the internal player.  So, if you just note what this says for each item you play, you will know which one it was in when the crash occurs.

Thanks.

arrbee99

@airbee99 What version of the app did that happen with?  Also, what version is your server?

FireTV is 1.4.6a, server 3.2.17.18 (updated to 17.20 since). Win 10 PC and via ethernet.

Edit - might be version before 1.4.6a, may have updated overnight.

Edited by arrbee99

FireTV is 1.4.6a, server 3.2.17.18 (updated to 17.20 since). Win 10 PC and via ethernet.

Edit - might be version before 1.4.6a, may have updated overnight.

Can you try playing the same item with 1.4.10 when you get it?  If possible, play it in the exact same way - meaning if you resumed from a certain position, do it again or if you seeked a bunch do it again and, if not, don't :).

arrbee99

Just sent a log of Harvey doing its thing again, still on 1.4.6a and 3.2.17.20. sent at 6.19 NZ time - user Family.

I know its not what you asked for but might be useful for something.

Also, doesn't do this when played straight in VLC. Also its the only film I've seen that does this, but then again, its probably the only film I've played on FireTV that has actually been left to get to the end of the credits.

Will try again when 1.410 appears.

Just sent a log of Harvey doing its thing again, still on 1.4.6a and 3.2.17.20. sent at 6.19 NZ time - user Family.

You are talking about the re-playing at the end?

You should have had 1.4.10 available by now - but maybe Amazon is slow all the way on the other side of the world :).

arrbee99

You are talking about the re-playing at the end?

You should have had 1.4.10 available by now - but maybe Amazon is slow all the way on the other side of the world :).

Yep, the replaying at the end.

...will check again to see if its turned up, though technically seeing as we're ahead of you and you're probably still on yesterday, we should get updates a day before you actually release them, I think, or is it the other way round .....

...will check again to see if its turned up, though technically seeing as we're ahead of you and you're probably still on yesterday, we should get updates a day before you actually release them, I think, or is it the other way round .....

LOL