Kodi suddenly not connecting to server

nonstatic

redaktorn

Hi alexr,

May I ask what skin you use?

I tested now the with Estuary (Kodi new standard skin) and it works much better when using both addons.

(Fix is still needed)

Had just a smal script problem on first start but now runs smothly.

Have restarted several times now with no problem.

Exit without any problems also (just a little slow - around 20 sec)

My old favorite skin Aeon Nox is the one making most problem when running both addons.

It has not been updated since November 2016 what I can see. So probably that is not the cause to the problems.

But for sure it seems to need an update so it can run smoothly like Estuary.

But again - why does one skin work better than another?

I am really confused....

All the Best

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I use Estuary on Kodi 17.3

Skin calls scripts at different times depending on what it's showing you. Something is triggering extended script early on.

alexrw

I use Estuary on Kodi 17.3

Skin calls scripts at different times depending on what it's showing you. Something is triggering extended script early on.

... and that should still be ok :) thanks for looking into it!

Edited by alexr

redaktorn

Titanium ... tried so many (including the new ones in 17), always came back to Titanium :)

OK - Thanks for reply.

I have very little experience from Titanium myself. But I know it is a good and very competent skin.

I have mainly used Aeon Nox lately but I am slowly moving over to the new skins like Estuary.

Now I probably hurry up with that since it seems to solve this problem. 

nonstatic

OP here, apologies for not contributing to this discussion, was tied up with work for a long while.

I am indeed using Aeon Nox skin, and disabling Extended Script does fix the problem!

Happy someone figured out the issue, I figured it was some strange conflict because the problem started when I was still running 17.0 and there had not been any recent Emby updates coinciding with the problem.

I don't even know what Extended Script does, so I guess I won't miss it. :)

Tried some other skins, but didn't like anything else I tried enough to keep it.

Cheers!

Edited by nonstatic

alexrw

Extended Script hasn't been updated since December, and it worked just fine with Emby until 2 weeks ago for me.

nonstatic

Extended Script hasn't been updated since December, and it worked just fine with Emby until 2 weeks ago for me.

All I can say is that is that disabling the script makes Kodi call the Emby server reliably again.  But if something can be done on the Emby side and they need more logs, I can try to help.  For me, the problem started 4 weeks ago, and I know that nothing major had been updated then.  Unless I didn't notice some other script auto-updating at that time, I have no idea why this started. 

alexrw

Yes, what we're all saying is that neither kodi or extended script (or the emby kodi add-on for that matter) have been updated, yet the problem suddenly started happening ...

It is now reproducible though. Any progress, @@Angelblue05?

Edited by alexr
  • Like 1

redaktorn

Hi,

According to my testings it is the older skins like Aeon Nox that has the problem.

In the older skins conflicts appear between Kodi Emby and Extended Script.

Problems started when Kodi updated to version 17.3 at 24 May.

When using the new standard skin in Kodi (Estuary) it works fine - also with the stable version of Kodi Emby.

(Only thing that needs to be done is the "fix" from Kodi forum for Extended script)

My theory is that something changed in Kodi version 17.3 that some skins were prepared for and others skins not.

I don't think Emby programers can solve this problem.

It has to be solved either by people updating the "older skins" or revoking the change that was made in Kodi version 17.3. 

For the moment I am actually running both addons without problems in the Aeon Nox skin.

But that is after a complete new installation of Kodi with all settings and installations done in Estuary skin.

And when Kodi system was ready I changed skin to Aeon Nox and everything works fine in that skin also.

However if I make changes in Aeon Nox I sometimes get the problem back.

If I then undo the changes and make them in Estuary instead it works fine to later go over to Aeon Nox again.

All the Best

Edited by redaktorn

alexrw

I can confirm (like others did in this thread) that in my case I had not updated Kodi from 17.0 installed back in February, nor Extended Script, nor the Embi addon in Kodi. The problem started happening all of sudden for me a couple of weeks back without me changing anything at all. It was almost certainly caused by an auto-update of something else, and I suspect Emby server.

Edited by alexr

Angelblue05

This whole situation makes no sense. It can't be Emby, otherwise it would fail even after you disable the extended script, yes? I won't have the chance to look into it until Wednesday.

Edit: I've installed Aeon Nox and the extended script on Kodi 17.3 and I am able to reproduce this. It seems to also hang Kodi when shutting down.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Can someone who has this issue test the following: In the emby for kodi settings > advanced > Add a 5 seconds delay to startup, and let me know if it loads correctly then?

I think it's a timing issue with loading widgets, at least that's what I'm getting looking at kodi log with debug on.

Edited by Angelblue05

alexrw

Can someone who has this issue test the following: In the emby for kodi settings > advanced > Add a 5 seconds delay to startup, and let me know if it loads correctly then?

I think it's a timing issue with loading widgets, at least that's what I'm getting looking at kodi log with debug on.

Just did this. Seems to work. Relaunched Kodi twice, both addons still working. Will test on my htpc too but I expect it will work just as well (same setup)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Thanks! It seems widgets try to load at the same time the emby for kodi add-on is loading in Aeon Nox (Estuary I do not see this issue). Maybe some sort of conflict with querying the video database at the same time. I'll see if it's something we can improve upon, but at least for now you have a temporary solution until I have the time to really look into it.

Edited by Angelblue05

redaktorn

Very Interesting,

I recreated the problem with Aeon Nox and Extended Script and tried the 5 second delay.

And it works fine. No problem with Kodi Emby or Extended Script.

Also tried 2 second delay but it does not work.

Changed to 3 second and it works fine.

So some skins need minimum 3 seconds delay.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I don't think the issue is related to script.extendedinfo. I uninstalled it and am still getting the same behavior where it doesn't load without the delay. The last line in the log is always

02:35:19.735 T:16356   DEBUG: Skin Helper Service --> Ended Background worker... 

Looks like the conflict might be with skin helper service. Anyone can confirm?

With the delay, this is the last line right before the delay ends:

02:19:03.264 T:7672   DEBUG: Skin Helper Service --> Started Background worker...
Edited by Angelblue05

redaktorn

Hi Angelblue,

Luckily I had my test version still active so I could test your latest idea.

However it does not help.

I uninstalled Skinhelper service.

Set Emby back to 0 seconds delay in Aeon Nox skin.

And problems are back. Started 3 times and all of them failed to load Kodi Emby.

All the Best

Angelblue05

Yep thanks for replying. Seems to be working fine here with skin helper enabled. Weird that it didn't work the first kodi restart after uninstalling extendedinfo. Anyway, I'll have more time tomorrow to look into this.

Edited by Angelblue05

Ok guys, I had removed all my add-ins about 2 weeks ago and everything started to work again but today it started happening again! :(

The thing that was changed was, when I started a movie a popup came up to install a add-in script.extendedinfo. I removed that add-in and all  was good again! yeaay.

Hope this will help others.

gr

a sorry I see that this already has been solved by others :P

Edited by lok1
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Yes you could also keep extended script if you add a 3-5 second delay to emby for kodi (addon settings > advanced). It just seems to conflict, unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to look into what is causing the conflict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk