RP3 stability issue

tdiguy

tdiguy

Not sure if i am simply asking this little raspberry pi3 to do too much running emby but i seem to have stability issues. Its crashed 3 times that i know of in the 3 days i have had emby installed.

Funny thing is this rp3 has more processing power than the laptop it replaced.

It might also be my setup. I have a rp3 with 2 external usb drives, both externally powered. I suspect 1 of them is backfeeding power over usb ( ok i am pretty sure it is ) because i can unplug power from the pi and it will stay on if this drive is connected.

I put transcoding down to 2 but i wouldnt think it has to do much transcoding since all my movies are mp4. Maybe it would have to transcode live tv from the hdhomerun?

It normally has been coming back on its own. I am working so i have not been able to get down to it when it has stopped and its generally been online when i get home. Lol my wife says its just another thing around the house that clearly does not want to work when she uses it and that its been talking to the printer ( which admittedly does seem to only not recognize ink cartridges when she uses it lol ) 

hurricanehrndz

Transcoding is not recommended with the RPI, especially if you're using the ffmpeg version delivered by us. If you're​ using one that is installed by the distro, sometimes that supports omx decoding which will make things better. You have to also remember that the usb and network share the same bus.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Edited by hurricanehrndz

tdiguy

Transcoding is not recommended with the RPI, especially if you're using the ffmpeg version delivered by us. If you're​ using one that is installed by the distro, sometimes that supports omx decoding which will make things better. You have to also remember that the usb and network share the same bus.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ok, when you say the one that is installed by the distro i am not sure which one you are talking about, is that the install that uses dietpi?

I was going to install dietpi but they currently dont have a image that works with usb.

I will see if i can disable transcoding and see if the family screams about stuff breaking or not.

Its funny too because even though the usb shares the bus with ethernet it still performs better than using the microsd card.

tdiguy

I hope these are the ones that are useful, there are multiple ones that say unhandled in them. I am also working from my cell, so a bit lazy with how many I pulled.unhandled_0a106546-cede-4f3f-95e6-5326c0c7a4fb.txtunhandled_0bc5f388-a663-41ef-8475-91c24a29aad8.txtunhandled_0cbd4d40-f7d4-4d6a-a2f3-dd464f0dee99.txt

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

tdiguy

Ok, i have rebooted now the waiting game and hopefully i wont even know its there other than everything working.

Well i will have to investigate further when i get home. I cant connect now even from inside my home network ( vpn ) 

i am betting its hung up on the reboot because when i try to ssh into it i get no route to host.

Well this is a bit of something i am not used to. It seems the pi can't really tell the difference between a bootable usb drive and a non bootable. I have an external hard drive i store a vast majority of my movies on. When i reboot if this is plugged in the pi cant seem to figure out where the OS is. With it unplugged, no issue at all booting from usb.

Any idea if this would be remedied by using a microsd card or would it happen any way simply because i have usb booting enabled?

Edited by tdiguy

tdiguy

I looked through the syslog yesturday after the rp3 rebooted again. I noticed a tone of messages from the vnc server, by that i dont mean a dozen or so i mean vnc messages were being spammed into syslog. I like having a gui interface to the pi, but i prefer a cleaner syslog over a gui interface and its linux nearly anything the gui can do the cli can do better. So i googled how to shut down the vnc server and it seems to be a little more responsive. Just posting this as a FYI for other rp3 newbs like me because i think this was installed right along in rasberian jessie.

tdiguy

it seems like emby has crashed again. The latest thing i have done with this was making it so that emby ran as if it was pi rather than emby. Is there something else i would need to change or is this not the right approach? I originally saw it was running as emby.

tdiguy

I just saw this error starting emby

Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.

tdiguy

I think this was one of them.

I am wondering if its because of permissions. I just got my redorded tv playback sorted out. I guess doing chown emby on the directory was not enough, i did a chown emby:emby -rh * on the directory for my media and it seems to be playing nice now.

server-log-3.txt

The problem was just starting up too soon after shutting down. The OS hadn't released the port yet. Try rebooting the device when that happens.

tdiguy

Well not sure what happened now but the rpi3 has been totally unresponsive for hours now. 

Which log files are likely to be of the most use? 

Are there instances of emby running on raspbian without much issue?

tdiguy

I still can't reach it remotely. I will have to go down and power cycle it this evening when i get home.

tdiguy

Ok, i did not realize it was on but i found the offending library and turned real time monitoring off. Instead i set up a trigger to run every 2 hours to scan the libraries so hopefully it will scan more frequently than my wife checks for recordings. 

I will see if this helps. Thank you.

Also curious, is there a way to use a schedule for just 1 library?

No there isn't. Just be aware that for RPI a library scan every 2 hours might be a little aggressive, but see how it goes.

tdiguy

I also recently noticed that when emby is recording a show from my hdhomerun it is transcoding. To me this seems weird, i can directplay if i watch the show from the emby app as live tv but to record the show emby is transcoding. Is there a setting that can be adjusted for this so when emby is recording it won't transcode? I imagine it is less resource intensive to record then convert to mp4.