channel groups!

vb-hosting

vb-hosting

any idea when this may happen? i got a massive list on iptv that are group on plex but emby it shows all channels.

the favourites are decent options its just there are some dirty buggers who made adult there top choice..

let me know if anything is in the pipeline..

or even if i could duplicate the iptv plugin so i can do it that way.

thanks Jon

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have like 3800+ IPTV channels. Can we please get channel groups implemented to separate out sports from movies and movies from documentary channels? Its really hard to go through all those channels 5 at a time on the screen. My IPTV provider already has them grouped for us but emby apparently does not recognize this. Also the ability to assign/edit epg guide data (schedules direct) for individual channels on the server?

Edited by racerx
  • Like 1

It's something we'd like to do in a future update. Thanks.

like how soon roughly? near future? a year? 6 months? Is there a roadmap you guys are following? Can you link it to me? I mean lets be real here for a second. NextPVR does all of this already and it is free. Emby is not. The ONLY thing emby has that nextpvr does not is the fact i can run it on linux. So based on what you say here is going to be the difference in a lifetime membership to emby or no membership at all. So please take my question seriously as we are dealing with REAL money here and not just some kid asking stupid questions. I am 50 years old. Thank you for your reply in advance. And merry xmas to you guys BTW. 

EDIT: I found emby on github https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/2646

Labeled as enhancement? Ummm....

Edited by racerx

Tomek_etz1

Hi guys

I would love to get this future working.

Right now using 6000+ IPTV list and its impossible to use It like this

Kodi, Plex and otyer IPTV dedicated software see groups by country or type.

Thank you guys for your hard work.

Happy New Year

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on this ?

Or is this being planned to be be released, with the revamped channel manager.

• 1 year later...
tldspectre

It's planned for a future update, thanks !

Well, it's March 2019 and I don't see any support for channel groups yet. I was considering replacing NextPVR with Emby, but this is the biggest hurdle keeping me from switching. I also like that NextPVR groups your recordings by show as well - I haven't seen this capability in Emby yet (although I admit I've limited experience with the recording feature in Emby). I really like certain features in Emby (like voice search support for the Android client version) but having to wade through a channel lineup of over 1000+ channels is deal killer... 

• 9 months later...

well, its Jan 2020 and i still see no channel groups ;) PLS MAKE IT, should be an easy task!!

And live Radio group also

Edited by Gee1

Spaceboy

I actually agree with this. Channel management has mostly been solved by xteve and is adequate for the time being. But the lack of support for groups (also enabled by xteve) is a serious shortcoming

• Like 1

aspdend

I actually agree with this. Channel management has mostly been solved by xteve and is adequate for the time being. But the lack of support for groups (also enabled by xteve) is a serious shortcoming

+1 from me on this as well - groups would make life so much easier and LiveTV more useable

• Like 1

They arent going to do it or they would of done it by now. This is something that could be implemented over the course of a weekend. I call bs. But thats ok they didnt get my money either so their loss

• Like 2

EODCrafter

FREE TV Headend + FREE Kodi is Better than Emby....Sad.

Edited by EODCrafter

Also nextpvr is free and there is a plugin for kodi. So there you go have fun

Edit: Turns out nextpvr v5 has been made for different operating systems. Check out their forums. No need to pay for emby

Edited by racerx

BillOatman

They arent going to do it or they would of done it by now. This is something that could be implemented over the course of a weekend. I call bs. But thats ok they didnt get my money either so their loss

I agree it is very nice to have channel groups.  I also use TiviMate on my shield for live TV and having groups available makes it a far superior interface to navigate than Emby's. In fact I pretty much never watch live TV with Emby now.  But I keep it active for my kids who watch outside of my house. I also keep the channel count to a couple hundred on Emby via xteve, for TiVimate I just let them all through since it is easy to navigate and put the couple hundred in the favorites group.

However over a weekend?  I think you are underestimating the work effort just a tad :)  Server changes on say Windows server, yeah a couple days isn't unreasonable.  But you have the other server types, plus the server is the easy part.  Each client would need to modify their UI to present the groups somehow.  Add in reasonable unit testing time, and beta test time with bug squashing ... per client ... and you get a much different effort level.  

• Like 2

However over a weekend? I think you are underestimating the work effort just a tad :) Server changes on say Windows server, yeah a couple days isn't unreasonable. But you have the other server types, plus the server is the easy part. Each client would need to modify their UI to present the groups somehow. Add in reasonable unit testing time, and beta test time with bug squashing ... per client ... and you get a much different effort level.

Sub over at nextpvr added groups in one day. so yeah I know its possible. Seeing as how this feature has been in request for over 2 years i would say you have to want to do it. Clearly they do not. But hey if you want to continue to pay for it when there is a free multi platform and imo better solution go for it. Edited by racerx

At the time Next pvr added channel groups, it was one standalone windows application. We have apps that run on phones, tablets, desktops, smart TV's, etc. We have to plan the user interface impact that channel groups would have on all of those form factors, devices, etc. And then of course execute it, and all of that is not something that can get done in a weekend. We're working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible.

• Like 1

At the time Next pvr added channel groups, it was one standalone windows application. We have apps that run on phones, tablets, desktops, smart TV's, etc. We have to plan the user interface impact that channel groups would have on all of those form factors, devices, etc. And then of course execute it, and all of that is not something that can get done in a weekend. We're working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible.

Well luke in all honesty that may be true. But in the time people have requested this feature nextpvr has also done everything you mentioned in your post as well and then some. You guys STILL havent and you guys are charging money for this. Am i right or wrong?

kikinjo

Post of the year, already.

Edited by kikinjo