channel groups!

vb-hosting

EODCrafter

You have been "Future Release" this topic for 5 Years...I call bullshit...Still love Emby, but come on.......Don't insult our intelligence.

Edited by EODCrafter

kikinjo

Why?

Post of the year in a good way, because u told it like it is. Feature that is "premiere" feature and costs money hasn't been touched for 2+ years. There are hundreds of post where premiere users are demanding improvements in live tv feature and channel management. Seems to me that is most important to rearrange same screens in emby 3-4 times in a year than to fix almost unusable "premiere" feature called live tv.

Im not proud of it but i felt like it was time. If you going to charge for a product listen to your customers. Its not about what YOU want but what your paying customers want. Thats how i feel about it. Not just a product like emby but any product for that matter. And if the seller cant provide the service what happens? You go somewhere else right? Welp thats what i did and for free. Seems to me that i read somewhere in past posts that luke did not want to cater to iptv or any kind of illegal use. Perhaps this had something to do with it i dont know.

While it is true we do not want to promote illegal streaming, that has nothing to do with this particular feature - which is also useful for any situation with a large number of channels.  The issue is the scope of the work involved and the fact that Live TV is not the only thing Emby does. In fact, it isn't even the major thing that Emby does - but it is an important feature and we will improve it continually.

While it is true we do not want to promote illegal streaming, that has nothing to do with this particular feature - which is also useful for any situation with a large number of channels. The issue is the scope of the work involved and the fact that Live TV is not the only thing Emby does. In fact, it isn't even the major thing that Emby does - but it is an important feature and we will improve it continually.

Ok thats fine and dandy. No disrespect but people dont want excuses they want answers. So far you guys have not given anything but excuses. What people want to know is when can they expect this feature to be implemented? Take a rough guess. These are paying customers mind you

maegibbons

Hi

I do feel that this topic needs to be de-coupled from the overall channel management/live tv improvements discussion.

This can be regarded as an intermediate step before a full live tv revamp. I.e. build the tabbed web based guide first using the group tags in m3u. Follow this through in to the apps.

Full blown channel management/live tv improvements can come afterwards and the needs of this may be further exposed by the work in dealing with channel grouping.

Whilst i understand it needs to be developed for all clients, the starting point must be server/web based and that shouldnt be the hardest thing in the world to implement. It is just tabbed grouping.

We just want to see SOME progress!

It has been too long.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 3

I agree. Its not as hard as they are making it out to be especially after years. Ive been around alot of developers over the years tested for alot of them including nextpvr (only because emby didnt offer the groups so i contacted sub at nextpvr he busted out a working temp fix in like 2 hours) Im no coder but how hard can xml parsing be? Test a debug version , then upload to github with a new version number and build instructions for those who are savy enough to build and test it. Testers report results good or bad. When results and goals are met announce a new public build and hype the hell out of it. Not that hard!

BillOatman

I agree. Its not as hard as they are making it out to be especially after years. Ive been around alot of developers over the years tested for alot of them including nextpvr (only because emby didnt offer the groups so i contacted sub at nextpvr he busted out a working temp fix in like 2 hours) Im no coder but how hard can xml parsing be? Test a debug version , then upload to github with a new version number and build instructions for those who are savy enough to build and test it. Testers report results good or bad. When results and goals are met announce a new public build and hype the hell out of it. Not that hard!

The code you see on github, with the exception of plugins, is not current. Emby proper went closed source some time ago.

One of the devs above mentioned a bit about the process, and that live tv isn't the top feature to them in Emby.  That probably accounts for the delay more than anything else.  There are only a few developers, and the backlog as it is commonly referred to (prioritized list of features) probably has features in other areas of Emby prioritized higher than live tv features like channel groups.  That's why the "someday" responses.  It's on the list, they just can't say when it will be high enough in the backlog to get done.

That's an advantage of open source, if you get people with the right skill sets who want a feature, it can happen.  But open versus closed source for Emby has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads.

Edited by BillOatman

Well either way open closed , coding is coding. Throw out some NDA’s get it tested. I still havent heard even a rough guess when this may be implemented. Q3,Q4, next year, 2 years, when man? Its very simple! You know what? Forget it! Well paying customers i tried to get you guys some answers. Answers they obviously wont give for whatever reason. I feel like they are just blowing smoke so ill just take my business elsewhere. I dont have time or patience for this. Im out, bye!

Edited by racerx

kanipek

It would be helpful if there was a road map that we could all see detailing what is being worked on and what is next and so on.

I don't expect to see that but it would help the end users/testers understand the plan going forward.

From the outside looking in I do not understand a lot of the recent changes. Many of these a new or relatively new requests and

yet they get implemented fairly quickly while longstanding requests like Channel Groups and Channel Management (end of 2019 I am looking at you @@Luke https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63725-multiple-live-tv-tuners-double-channels/page-1) are ignored(apparently).

It seems just a little I don't know the word to describe it - Schizophrenic?

Please tell us what the plan is now, tomorrow, next week, next month and so on. Sometimes things crop up and things get shifted around - life is funny that way and I am sure we can all understand that "deadlines" change.

But as we sit right now we are all left to wonder. 

Spaceboy

While it is true we do not want to promote illegal streaming, that has nothing to do with this particular feature - which is also useful for any situation with a large number of channels.  The issue is the scope of the work involved and the fact that Live TV is not the only thing Emby does. In fact, it isn't even the major thing that Emby does - but it is an important feature and we will improve it continually.

a little more foresight here and someone at emby may have recognised the opportunity associated with the final nail in the coffin of WMC this month and the exodus of the last few users. some basic live tv functionality implemented in 2019 and a few carefully place posts over at The Green Button and you could have won yourselves a boat load of new subscriptions.

but that ship has now sailed

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

@@Pseibold the first post in this thread was in 2017. No its not going to happen or it would of been done already. Read the thread

Using that logic, nothing new is ever going to happen again, for anything, ever... :)

d00zah

Using that logic, nothing new is ever going to happen again, for anything, ever... :)

Careful! Someone is gonna quote that & throw it back at you someday... selectively edited, of course. :D

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, probably not.

The current way to do this is to assign a tag to every channel you don't want the person to see.  Then you use the hide tag feature of parental restrictions for this user.

8 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, probably not.

The current way to do this is to assign a tag to every channel you don't want the person to see.  Then you use the hide tag feature of parental restrictions for this user.

I can do that I guess. is there a way to edit channels in mass? 

If they come from an m3u file you could add a group to the channels.

m3u groups become Emby tags on import.

If these channels come from a hardware tuner there really isn't an easy way to do this unfortunately.

@cayars thanks for the reply. for now I solved the issue by creating a strm file that points to the feed in the m3u and added to the library and only granted that user access. sloppy and no guide data but its a work around

For a single channel or handful if guide isn't needed strm can work for sure.

You may also want to test using the IPTV plugin as well which you may like better as you can grant access to this pretty easy for different users.

12 minutes ago, cayars said:

For a single channel or handful if guide isn't needed strm can work for sure.

You may also want to test using the IPTV plugin as well which you may like better as you can grant access to this pretty easy for different users.

yeah, doesn't seem to offer anything more than my current work-around though. 

• Agree 1