Roku Beta: Cannot access additional parts of split movie

bardmaster

bardmaster

I could be missing something, but I followed the directions on https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming for naming multiple parts of a movie - in my case, two DVD discs for The Lord of the Rings trilogy.  At the end of the first video, it LOOKS like Roku is trying to do something, as there is a flash of a few scenes that were just played, but then it just stops and goes back to the main screen for the movie.  I have attached logs.

On the web client, I can see an "additional parts" below the main film metadata, as shown in the screenshot below.  But there is no such option in the Roku Beta.  Plus I was under the impression Emby would simply continue playing with the second video, but perhaps I am mistaken.

I've also attached a screenshot of my naming convention.  Based upon no metadata files having been created for the second disc, that suggests the naming is not the problem?

Somebody kindly advise what I'm missing, thanks!

(ps I know I can merge the two files, but something odd happens with the video for the second part when I use the normally reliable mkvtoolnix, so I decided to try the stacking option out!)

server log.txt

ffmpeg-remux.txt

post-206588-0-25017200-1494902670_thumb.jpg

post-206588-0-61818100-1494902673_thumb.jpg

bardmaster

OK fair enough.  But is this the expected behavior, @@Luke?  Do you need to exit the first part and open the second part separately?  Or is the video stream supposed to continue unabated into the second+ part?

Do you need to exit the first part and open the second part separately?

No, but it's a cheap starting point that at least allows you to play it. There is a reason why this particular use case is not yet perfected across all Emby apps. We certainly want to do that, but then we look at the low usage rate and that's why it keeps getting bumped down priority lists. Eventually we will get there but for best possible experience we still would suggest just joining the files.

This feature is present in the blue neon app on roku. Fullly automatic sequential multi-part playback, or selectable screen to choose which additonal parts to play individually/inorder/shuffled. The caveat with this is the runtime and other things shown on the items detail screen will only take into account the first part.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

o7mickey

Inhave know idea what you're referring to with "blue neon" app. I have both the beta app and the app from the Roku store. Both look exactly the same. Neither support what you say it does. I have too many files that are split that never had to be joined. It is too tedious. It's even more frustrating that every other main platform except Roku has no problem with this. It's infuriating that there is no real concern to resolve this any time soon. I'm pretty sure the "lack of usage" has everything to do with the ones who would use this have given and gone to Plex, even if they have to pay for it as it is inexpensive, is better than no support at all, with admitted less and less concern, and is something I will most likely end up doing myself.

• 1 month later...
bmhanson

Just adding my vote into this.  I am assuming this is the same issue I am having with a multi-part home movie.  i was going to create a post about my issue when I searched and saw this.

I have been playing with adding our home movies on Emby and noticed the problem.  Shows and plays the first part and does not even show the other parts for me to be able to select them separately to play.  I would have been OK with that as a work around, but the fact that it only shows the 1 part makes it unusable at the moment.  

Does work fine on the web page access and Android, but not on Roku or Windows Theater.  I have not tried any other apps yet.  I think the only ones I could check are Fire TV and iOS.

Just adding my vote into this.  I am assuming this is the same issue I am having with a multi-part home movie.  i was going to create a post about my issue when I searched and saw this.

I have been playing with adding our home movies on Emby and noticed the problem.  Shows and plays the first part and does not even show the other parts for me to be able to select them separately to play.  I would have been OK with that as a work around, but the fact that it only shows the 1 part makes it unusable at the moment.  

Does work fine on the web page access and Android, but not on Roku or Windows Theater.  I have not tried any other apps yet.  I think the only ones I could check are Fire TV and iOS.

Hi.  Can I ask why these are in multiple parts as opposed to combining them as a single file or making them actual individual videos?

bmhanson

Hi. Can I ask why these are in multiple parts as opposed to combining them as a single file or making them actual individual videos?

Because the source media was split into multiple parts and that was the way it ripped. I jyst had bit combined it. I can so it is not insurmountable as an issue, but it not working was not expected and I was curious if it was my issue or a bug so I went looking.

Edited by bmhanson

Okay, thanks.

I guess these were videos that were transferred to DVD by a service or something?

Waldonnis

The extended editions of LotR movies are all on two discs each, so they would be two files when ripped from the source discs.  They can be combined cleanly, but it would have to be done manually (I did so several times...don't ask why  :P ) and I can see why many would prefer to just leave them as two files rather than going through that.  The upside of combining them is that, with a little trimming, it's nice to eliminate the "several seconds of nothing" that heads/trails each file.

The upside of combining them is that, with a little trimming, it's nice to eliminate the "several seconds of nothing" that heads/trails each file.

You also get proper run time display and progress reporting in the interface of all apps.

This will get into the app but, with as easy as it is to combine files and never have to deal with the above issues, it just isn't needed by very many people.

bmhanson

I guess these were videos that were transferred to DVD by a service or something?

Old dance recital. This us how they put the DVD together. Not the way I would have done it, but there ya go.

Basic support for this (the parts will all play sequentially but the runtime and resume may not work exactly like you want it to) will be in the next release of the app.

I still suggest combining the parts if at all possible for a much better experience :).