Black Screen or Sound and no Video using Live TV

Daz42

Daz42

Hi there,

I recently rebuilt my HTPC and reinstalled Emby Server, Emby Theatre, Media Portal's TV Server, MP Extended and the Media Portal plugin.

Since then, I have had no end of trouble trying to get Live TV to work properly. I either get a black screen with sound or video with no sound.

I have tried tweaking the settings in ET but no luck so they are now all back at default. Strangely if I get sound and no video and I close ET, I can catch a glimpse of video as it is closing.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

It's been quite frustrating since this was all working before I rebuilt my HTPC. Live TV has always been an issue for me and I really miss the TV from WMC which always worked flawlessly.

I have attached my ET and Server logs.

theater-63629964720.txt

server-63629963960.txt

ffmpeg-remux-b7de6131-fb87-4d48-953d-423c538dd1ec.txt

Edited by Daz42

Daz42

Hi Luke,

I thought I had, I have attached my logs and described the issue. What else am I missing?

Daz42

Interestingly, if I play any HD TV channel I get video and sounds so it appears to be only affecting SD channels.

Daz42

I am also seeing a Java script error when I exit ET after getting no picture:

A JavaScript error occurred in the main process

Uncaught Exception:

Error: Object has been destroyed

at function. <anonymous>

(c:\Users\Emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theatre\system\electron\main.js:239:32)

Thanks, we're still looking into the video problem but the popup error is fixed for the next update. thanks.

Daz42

Thanks, we're still looking into the video problem but the popup error is fixed for the next update. thanks.

Thanks Luke, is this a known problem - should I stop trying to figure it out because I've spent hours on this!

Corteq

Thanks Luke, is this a known problem - should I stop trying to figure it out because I've spent hours on this!

Well you are not alone with this problem. I use NextPVR, but it behaves exactly as you described for Media Portal. Like you, I have tried many things to fix this but no joy. Live TV works using the web interface, but we never use that as Emby Theatre is a better design for the lounge. This started happening about a week ago so it seems it ties in with recent changes. Definitely nothing you have done. I was expecting to see a lot more people acknowledging this problem as I am sure it can't just be you and me. I'm running Windows 10 ver 1607, tried upgrading to 1703 but that didn't fix this issue and introduced others so I reverted back to 1607. What OS and version are you on?

Let's hope this is resolved soon.

I also agree with your comment about Media Center TV working flawlessly. Emby is way behind on this and feels clumsy in comparison. Other aspects of Emby have improved considerably in recent months so development on the LiveTV side of things may improve too.

Daz42

Well you are not alone with this problem. I use NextPVR, but it behaves exactly as you described for Media Portal. Like you, I have tried many things to fix this but no joy. Live TV works using the web interface, but we never use that as Emby Theatre is a better design for the lounge. This started happening about a week ago so it seems it ties in with recent changes. Definitely nothing you have done. I was expecting to see a lot more people acknowledging this problem as I am sure it can't just be you and me. I'm running Windows 10 ver 1607, tried upgrading to 1703 but that didn't fix this issue and introduced others so I reverted back to 1607. What OS and version are you on?

Let's hope this is resolved soon.

I also agree with your comment about Media Center TV working flawlessly. Emby is way behind on this and feels clumsy in comparison. Other aspects of Emby have improved considerably in recent months so development on the LiveTV side of things may improve too.

I think I have managed to get this working and this is a good reminder to post my findings.

To get rid of the black screen, I removed all external codecs and installed the SAF codecs - I installed saf632 (unlocked). Since then I have not had a repeat of the black screen or missing audio.

One other adjustment, I removed authentication from MP Extended as authentication enabled looked like it was causing issues.

I think the TV guide in Emby has a long way to go. I am still having issues with TV logos vanishing (not restorable from backups) and I have to spend 30 minutes putting them back after some upgrades or after every new channel scan. The guide is unusable since when you are scrolling down you end up flicking backwards and forwards to programs that have already be shown on TV - I am not sure why this changed a few versions ago but I am now going straight to the TV channels to watch TV.

I think TV should be integrated into the Emby solution rather then rely on 3rd party plugins that have to be separately managed - there are too many moving parts involving Live TV. Emby should aim to be 'everything ready' out of the box.

The rest of Emby is actually very good but Live TV really lets it down.