The great Carolina snow storm of 2014

ebr

I drive a FWD FJ Cruiser :).

But, even that is no match for ice.  As long as we stay snow we'll be okay but the next few days as this stuff melts and then re-freezes overnight - it will be very treacherous.

Koleckai Silvestri

Record snow where I live is around 18 inches. That was back in 83-84. Yesterday it was 82 degrees Farhenheit.

politby

Boy am I happy the snow is all melting away now. We've had at most a couple of inches and it did not arrive until Jan.

Last year we had a METER of snow that stayed from late November until March here in Stockholm. I love global warming :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

yardameus

I've just been happy that we are getting highs above 0 F the past few days.  Biggest issue with all the snow in the carolinas/tennessee/alabama areas is that they don't have the proper equipment to salt/sand the roads and clear the snow efficiently, which makes it virtually impossible to drive, even if you know what you're doing.  (Which most of them don't)

• Like 1

pd veeps

@@ebr

We're getting the same storm up here in Connecticut. We got about 10" of snow, then sleet and freezing rain on top. Still freezing rain out and possibly more snow on top. We're usually prepared but the state is running out of road salt so we're in a state of emergency. My wife's a teacher and she's only had to work Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday was Linclon's bday then 2 snow days now.

It's pretty wild how the south is getting a real winter this year. Hope you guys dig out.

trooper11

Well at least for us in east TN, things made a 180 over the course of 1 day.

We literally got 7" here and from Noon to 7pm it was almost completely gone.  The sun was out and temps a bit above freezing was all it took.  That's the first time I've seen it go away so fast :lol:

I would not have minded it sticking around a while, its not like we get snows like this very often.

We are melting quickly here but there is still an awful lot of snow on the ground.  And we will re-freeze tonight making for more icy roads in the am.

Heckler

I'd rather have some snow that the 6 weeks of rain we've had here in the UK... Serious flooding all over the place.

Luckily I live at the top of a hill in my town, so flooding isn't an issue at all... But the winds are.  My fence at the front was destroyed the other day, can't do anything about it. The wheelie bins were turned over and there's rubbish all over the place, as soon as I stand them up, the wind knocks them over again. So I've left them on their sides for now.

Since the new year, we've had two days where there hasn't been heavy rain and high winds... at the moment it's only partly cloudy but the winds are still high... You can hear the remains of the fence being battered about.

• Like 1

CBers

I hear you @@Heckler.

Not sure where you are, but still got strong winds in Kent this morning, although sunny.

Gusts of upto 80mph overnight.

Lost 1 fence panel and a few panes in the greenhouse :(

Heckler

Thankfully I'm further North in East Northants... But the winds are pretty bad, I used to live in Milton Keynes and that was great because we got kinda protected there by the chilterns, snow and extreme winds were quite rare unless the whole country was being affected. Most snow was gone without 48hrs... But the last few years I've seen snow that hung around for weeks here.

But this rain... I thought that 6 weeks of wet weather we had last Spring/summer was bad... It's got nothing on this... It may not be flooding, but you can't walk on anything that isn't paved.

Had about 6 inches on my dock here in New Bern, NC, was gone by thursday morning. The odd thing about winter here in Eastern Carolina is, although the temps are higher than in Anchorage, AK, I feel colder here than I ever did there.

They have a local show on our Public radio station on Fridays, and the subject this week was Snow "Events". Not storms, or snowfall, snow events ... like it's some unnatural phenonemon.

Heckler

My first reaction... was 'We don't need to know that @PBzeer"

Then I read it properly and it said 'dock'

Edited by Heckler
  • Like 2

48 hours later I've still got several inches of snow/ice on my back deck (it doesn't get much sun).

I've been to New Bern PB.  I imagine snow is even more rare there than here but, man, the TV guys went absolutely nuts.  It was all they could talk about all week.

48 hours later I've still got several inches of snow/ice on my back deck (it doesn't get much sun).

I've been to New Bern PB.  I imagine snow is even more rare there than here but, man, the TV guys went absolutely nuts.  It was all they could talk about all week.

In that quanity, I imagine so. Haven't been here long enough to know the history.

Heckler

Was reading an article this morning, a recent study seems to indicate that the gulf stream has shifted further south... which is the cause of the prolonged adverse weather condition we are seeing... and that because arctic temps are rising faster than elsewhere, the gulf stream could stay where it is.

So this kind of weather could become much more common in both Europe and the Americas.., and poor old Britain could see the worst of it due to it's position on the edge of the Atlantic.

No, it's the Gulf Stream. It's what keeps England warmer than the rest of the countries at that latitude, just like the Japanese Current keeps the Anchorage area in Alaska warmer than the northern border states (except western WA)

Interesting.  The two are probably tied together in some fashion in that either one affects the other or they are both affected by the same 3rd factor.  I know the track of the jet stream across the US determines how far down the arctic air is able to reach but it tends to move around on a weekly basis.

Heckler

The mountain ranges that come down from the arctic and most of the way through the US funnel that arctic weather, which is why the mid west and east coasts get much harsher weather than the west coast does. It's why you get harsher winters than we do, inspite of the fact you are at a much lower parallel than the UK.  My cousin is near Toronto, which is on par with the south of France... and gets winters 10 times harsher than we do in the UK.

The problem with global warming... is that we are going to get wetter and harsher winters and not warmer weather... Harsh extremes that we are getting now will only become more common place.

However... there is a counter argument that the Sun which also has seasons of it's own is entering what could be called a winter period. These seasons of solar activity can last decades rather than months, The last time we had these sorts of weather extremes in the UK was back in the early 60's... and life didn't stop, we just got on with it. These solar seasons are theorised to also have an impact on global weather patterns and temps... It's possible that we are seeing a combination of human impact on climate change coupled with a change in the solar season... making things even worse than usual.

The biggest problem places face is a lack in investment in infrastructure... Countries that experience harsh winters are better prepared to cope with it, they've invested in equipment to keep transportation going. Here in the UK it's never been cost effective to prepare in that fashion... Perhaps it's time to change that thinking.