"#" and "A" missing

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

Alpha picker didn't change yesterday.

@@Luke, I can't swear about it starting yesterday, it might be since 2nd to last update. Then again, I access Emby's web interface each day, many times a day, and this issue literally jumped in my face this morning on my 1st use. That in itself make me think it's related to the last update.

Then again, it might not be the alpha picker itself that's at the core of the change I'm experiencing, it could be a number of things related to page layout, which you know (a gazillion times) more about than I do.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

No, but the retractable header not staying retracted & obscuring the alpha picker was introduced in FF with v3.2.13.0.

I did notice and pointed out this behavior in an earlier post above, but in all honesty I have not noticed if it wasn't already doing it before.

One thing I am 1000% sure is when I land on my movies page (and movies tab), and TV Shows (and Shows tab), I always saw the "#" and "A" at the top of the alpha picker before this morning, without any need to scroll down to get the header out of the way.

Come to think of it, why is this thing even auto-hiding in the first place, it could very well stay put (but would give better real estate below, where it matters, at half it's present height.

5904d6a3a8bfc_Capture8.png

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

I recently read a good web article about the irony of wide if not extra-wide monitors being under used as most web pages are designed in a vertical perspective.

When was the last time you had to scroll a web page left and right (my guess: 12 years ago... ;) )

But we're constantly scrolling up and down. Unless they begin to make vertical monitors the norm, no efforts should be spared in avoiding unnecessary down-scrolling.

Here's roughly what I see from the top edge of my monitor to about mid height:

Firefox itself is wasting one line by not showing the "file edit-view...." just right of the title (shame on them, and on 99% of windowed software)

I am wasting 1 or 2 lines myself with my 2 rows of bookmarks, shame on me, but heck I like it and it's my choice to have this or not.

But those 1 to 3 lines are not Emby's concern. And the browser's top area is displaying meaningful stuff for 80-85% of the real estate.

Now look at the sea of black above the 1st row of shows; My guess is maybe 10% of this precious space is used at the moment.

Everything displayed within the black header (5 rows high) could fit in a single row, with room to spare, with maybe a blank 2nd row after for clarity.

I'd call this room for improvement, if you pardon the pun...

5904e0bd7bcdf_Capture9.png

Edited by jlr19

• 2 weeks later...
CharleyVarrick

Happy to report 3.2.15 fixes my issue 80%* with the header slimmed down

Thanks! 

*80%, as alpha picker now fully displays "A", and the lower third of "#"

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

While on the Header subject, about that toolbox row starting with "1-100 of ...", right now is in the content page itself, so as soon as we begin to scroll down, we quickly lose sight of it.

I am wondering if it wouldn't be more useful if instead, it was lock-fixed into the header, so it would still be usable when we're down to row 2, 3, 12 or lower? The repeat "1-100 of..." at the page's very end would become redundant and could be eliminated.

My 5 cents...  

Now

5916ecf639f67_Capture1.png

How it could look

5916f59c3a349_Capture2.png

Edited by jlr19