Budget Rack Planning

BAlGaInTl

Guest asrequested

I've got that case. The fans are noise, you may want to change them. Each drive has its own SATA connection, so you'll need make sure you have enough to support them.

BAlGaInTl

I've got that case. The fans are noise, you may want to change them. Each drive has its own SATA connection, so you'll need make sure you have enough to support them.

It will be in the basement, so the sound probably won't matter.

My board has 12 SATA.

The bigger Norco cases are overkill for me. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

It will be in the basement, so the sound probably won't matter.

My board has 12 SATA.

The bigger Norco cases are overkill for me. Any other suggestions?

The only other thing I'd suggest is, as you're not using an enterprise controller card, make sure you have a good PSU. When those drives fire up, they'll pull a bit of juice. With the controller that I have, when I turn on, I can hear the drives having a staggered spin up. So it doesn't stress the PSU. That case is using two separate drive cages and no backplanes. I don't know if your MB controller will have staggered spin up. It might, but be aware of that. Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

BAlGaInTl

The only other thing I'd suggest is, as you're not using an enterprise controller card, make sure you have a good PSU. When those drives fire up, they'll pull a bit of juice. With the controller that I have, when I turn on, I can hear the drives having a staggered spin up. So it doesn't stress the PSU. That case is using two separate drive cages and no backplanes. I don't know if your MB controller will have staggered spin up. It might, but be aware of that.

I'll have to look in to that.  It's handling my 6 drive system just fine right now...

I'm using the ASRock C2750D4I.  Great little board for my needs.

I just looked, and it does support staggered spin up.

Does that just increase the boot time?

Edited by BAlGaInTl

Guest asrequested

No, you boot from one drive and that'll be the first. The rest should be archive. With only 6 drives you shouldn't have any issues.

Guest asrequested

Oh yeah, I should mention that the case isn't all black. It's only black on the front. I doubt that it matters, but the picture on the site shows it as all black. I was hoping it was, but it isn't. And the rails you want to get are http://www.ipcdirect.net/rl-26-heavy-duty-ball-bearing-version-slide-rail/  Be careful when you slide the case in the first time. If  you bend the metal that holds the bearings, the bearings will start falling out and you won't be able to actually get the rails in. My third set had a slight defect that I missed, and I had that issue. I was able to bend the metal back in, and slide the rails in. 

Edited by Doofus

BAlGaInTl

Oh yeah, I should mention that the case isn't all black. It's only black on the front. I doubt that it matters, but the picture on the site shows it as all black. I was hoping it was, but it isn't. And the rails you want to get are http://www.ipcdirect.net/rl-26-heavy-duty-ball-bearing-version-slide-rail/ Be careful when you slide the case in the first time. If you bend the metal that holds the bearings, the bearings will start falling out and you won't be able to actually get the rails in. My third set had a slight defect that I missed, and I had that issue. I was able to bend the metal back in, and slide the rails in.

Case is ordered.

I pot my own together...

Rosewill case

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16811147154

2x Norco SS-500 hot swap bays

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16816133030

I rolled my own to take advantage of the $25 off $200 from Newegg.

Total cost was about $246.

So far I have less than $300 in it.

BAlGaInTl

That's an interesting way to go. For just a little more, you could have got the Norco case.

https://www.amazon.com/RPC-450TH-Server-Rackmount-Chassis-Swappable/dp/B002N818WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502565919&sr=8-1&keywords=RPC-450TH

It doesn't specifically say that the slide rails come with it. You may want to check on that.

I already have several sets of rails.  I'll be able to make something work.

I almost went with the Norco, and I would have if Newegg had it in stock.

• 1 month later...
BAlGaInTl

Well... I had some personal stuff come up and had to put this on hold...

I got the case and backplanes assembled last night.  Unfortunately, the Norco units were in the wrong orientation for the Rosewill case.  Other than that, the design of the case was nice, and I'll probably re-purpose the drive cages and power supply that Newegg threw in. 

Fortunately, the Norco units are well made and I was able to disassemble and re-assemble them in the proper configuration.  Much better than having backplanes that are upside down.  :-)

BAlGaInTl

What did you do with the norco units?

I basically flipped the innards. :)

The external case is a nice aluminum structure with groves that hold the inner cage (for lack of a better description) in place.  Norco designed it such that the case is the same forward backward, and it's symmetrical with groves on both side.  The external screw mounts however are not due to the nature of using an odd number of bays and not every bay had mounting screws.  That coupled with the fact that the Rosewill server case uses a click in rail (not screws) created an issue.  I could install one, but it was offset in the case and the second one wouldn't fit. Or I could install them both, but the trays would be upside down... can't be having that.

So basically, I disassembled it and flipped the inner cage inside the aluminum enclosure and put everything back together.  The first one took some time and thought (and a couple of tries), but the second one was easy.  16 screws total hold the whole thing together.  4 for the front plate that holds the inner cage in place, 4 for the fan assembly, and 4 for the backplane.

Once I got everything switched around, the Norco units are a perfect fit.

Edited by BAlGaInTl