Budget Rack Planning

BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

Okay...

So I'm doing it.

I'm going to start rebuilding my system in a rack setup.

I want to do this as budget conscious as possible.  I've been scouring craigslist and ebay for deals and I've found that for the basic setup, it's hard to do much better than new.  I was able to pick up a couple things for work that were headed for the trash, so that helps.

For the rack, I think I will go with the StarTech 25u adjustable unit.  I can get something for $50-$100 less, but it is either lower quality, or fixed depth.  I think this unit will be a good balance of quality and function.  I don't think I want to skip too much on the foundation.  I can get enterprise stuff cheaper used, but it is all 42u and I really don't want that in my basement:

$250 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O6GNLQE

For the case, I'm going to go with a Rosewill (shorter depth) and a couple of 4 in 3 hotswap bays. Currently I use a simple 5 drive raid, so that gives me a little room to grow in my main system.  I'd go with a different bay, but they are so expensive.  I don't do a lot of drive swapping, so I was thinking the Rosewill units would suffice.  If I need to go beyond that in the future, I can always add cases or NAS since I will have plenty of room in 25u.

$80 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055EV30W

2 x $50 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGZ42SM

The rest of my components I will put on shelves (2 of them free from work) for now and upgrade as I find deals.

What are your thoughts on this as a base?

Where do you go to find the best deals on rackmount hardware (new or used)?

Anything you would do differently to start? 

Thanks for humoring me.

So it's going to be a little bit less "budget" than my current rack...  Which is just a small wire shelf with all my crap on it.

:)

Edited by BAlGaInTl
  • Like 1

aptalca

I have this norco case and I love it: https://www.amazon.com/NORCO-Rack-Mount-Server-Chassis/dp/B001NOA2B4

I bought 3 used 5in3 hot swap enclosures and put in 15 drives

I kinda wish I got the norco rpc-4224 which comes with 24 hot swap bays built in, but it's not really a budget case

Edit: just realized your rosewill is a shorter depth version. Norco has one as well: https://www.amazon.com/Norco-RPC-431-NORCO-Rackmount-Components/dp/B012UNOZ28

Edited by aptalca

BAlGaInTl

I have this norco case and I love it: https://www.amazon.com/NORCO-Rack-Mount-Server-Chassis/dp/B001NOA2B4

I bought 3 used 5in3 hot swap enclosures and put in 15 drives

I kinda wish I got the norco rpc-4224 which comes with 24 hot swap bays built in, but it's not really a budget case

Edit: just realized your rosewill is a shorter depth version. Norco has one as well: https://www.amazon.com/Norco-RPC-431-NORCO-Rackmount-Components/dp/B012UNOZ28

I looked at that Norco case, but it only has 3 x 5.25 drive bays. The Rosewill is the only smaller one I found that has 9.  I plan on putting  in the two 4 in 3 (5 in 3) if I could find good ones, and using the remaining for a 3.5/2.5 hot plug for backup and maybe a DVD.  I could always add another backplane if I wanted too... 

My server MB is mitx, so any case is going to give me plenty of room.

Which 5 in 3 did you use?  Where did you find them?

I use that rack, and it works well for me. EBay is a good place for used parts, like switches.

That is what I've heard about the rack.  I could go cheaper... but I'm not sure if I really want to in the long run.

I have the same idea on the used parts.  I've seen plenty used on CL and ebay.  The problem with the racks and chassis, is that it seems any deal you may get is negated by high shipping costs.  So I figured I might as well get those.

Another option is to hold off on the hot swap bays and just use the bays that come with the Rosewill until I find a better deal.  I lose the hot swap initially, but like I said... I don't swap very often.

mediacowboy

I don't look at hot swap as how much I swap drives but how easy to upgrade. Say you fill all your drives but want to upgrade or install a new drive. Now you have to power down the system and install it and turn it back on. With hot swap you just slap it in and done.

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

I don't look at hot swap as how much I swap drives but how easy to upgrade. Say you fill all your drives but want to upgrade or install a new drive. Now you have to power down the system and install it and turn it back on. With hot swap you just slap it in and done.

I look at it the same...

I don't have any immediate plans for an upgrade... but you never know.  :)

CBers

I bought my rack off of GumTree for £80.

Secondhand server (HP Proliant DL160 G6)  was £80 on eBay.

BAlGaInTl

This is my HTPC case. It might be a good fit for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002N84NDC/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, that would work, but I would like one with 10 hot swap bays then.  That would be plenty of room for me to grow.  Shipping kind of kills it though.

I bought my rack off of GumTree for £80.

Secondhand server (HP Proliant DL160 G6)  was £80 on eBay.

So similar to Craigslist here.  I've seen a LOT of racks here, but almost all of them are 42u or they are a shallow depth for wall mount and audio equipment.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Yeah, that would work, but I would like one with 10 hot swap bays then. That would be plenty of room for me to grow. Shipping kind of kills it though.

So similar to Craigslist here. I've seen a LOT of racks here, but almost all of them are 42u or they are a shallow depth for wall mount and audio equipment.

They have one with 10

http://www.ipcdirect.net/4u-server-rackmount-chassis-with-10-hot-swappable-drive-bays-rpc-450th/

But you can add another hotswap bay, later. That's what I did. I bought a used one on Amazon.

BAlGaInTl

They have one with 10

http://www.ipcdirect.net/4u-server-rackmount-chassis-with-10-hot-swappable-drive-bays-rpc-450th/

But you can add another hotswap bay, later. That's what I did. I bought a used one on Amazon.

That's certainly a nice chassis...

Why do so many use Norco over other options?

It would run me around $100 more for the Norco over the Rosewill, but I would gain 2x hot swap bays.

hmmm....

aptalca

I think norco is a better quality than rosewill.

You can check out the hardware sections of the unraid forum. Someone listed three 5in3 enclosures for sale there and I jumped on it.

Plenty of folks building huge servers over in the unraid forum

Guest asrequested

Norco is much better than roeswill. My though was to buy a good chasis because it's the foundation. I didn't want futz with stuff that didn't work right. The only thing I changed were the fans in cages. They're noisy, so I put better fans in them.

CharleyVarrick

Powering down a computer to replace or add a hard drive doesn't seem like much work to me, but as I keep reading about convenience of hot swap,

can anyone explain the difference in systems that permits hot swapping vs standard that can't?

CBers

Powering down a computer to replace or add a hard drive doesn't seem like much work to me, but as I keep reading about convenience of hot swap,

can anyone explain the difference in systems that permits hot swapping vs standard that can't?

Powering down a PC/server that may have been up for months, could be a problem when powering up again due to the PSUs not having to provide the same load.

Whenever we do major server changes at work, the first step is always a reboot to ensure 1) the PSU is OK and 2) the server boots OK.

So having hot swap disks, is an advantage, where possible.

CharleyVarrick

If I were to buy one of these things these days, I'd probably go with a Norco too. I've seen another brand mentionned here that intrigues me tough (Lin Li, I believe).

But if you order a Norco, a close inspection and thorough testing is a must. I've seen numerous customer reviews that received DOA.

And the stock chassis fans need upgrading (noise/performance). After all, you're going to fill this thing with lots of expensive hard drives, you want them nice and cool.

CharleyVarrick

Powering down a PC/server that may have been up for months, could be a problem when powering up again due to the PSUs not having to provide the same load.

Whenever we do major server changes at work, the first step is always a reboot to ensure 1) the PSU is OK and 2) the server boots OK.

So having hot swap disks, is an advantage, where possible.

Hi @@CBers,

what I meant to know was what's different inside a hot swap system form a regular pc for instance.

I wouldn't dare disconnect or connect a hdd from my tower while it's running, but what makes it possible in hot swappable? 

Edited by jlr19

BAlGaInTl

So here's another possibility...

Spied this on Craigslist this weekend...

an HP 10622 22u enclosed rack with what looks like a couple sets of rails as well.

Asking price was $200.

I asked, but the seller isn't flexible at this point, plus I would have to pay tax.  Factor in gas to go and get it and I'm probably looking at $250.

It isn't in perfect condition... the rear doors are misaligned, but can close/latch.  Not a huge deal.

Thoughts?

Is it worth the same cost as the new open rack?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/bfs/6098291017.html

CharleyVarrick

I looked at that Norco case, but it only has 3 x 5.25 drive bays.

Why do you say "only 3x 5.25 bay" ?

Can you explain why you'd need more (I am very noob at this)

BAlGaInTl

Why do you say "only 3x 5.25 bay" ?

Can you explain why you'd need more (I am very noob at this)

If you buy a case and hot-swap bays separately, you have to look at that.

Each multi 3.5 hot-swap bay (typically) takes 3x5.25 external bays.  I could put all of my drives (5 disk array) in 3x5.25, but that would not give me any room to grow.  I really want something with 9x5.25 that are accessible externally.

I think I'm seriously leaning towards the Norco RPC-450th now.  That has 9x5.25 external bays.  6 of them are populated with 5 in 3 hot-swap bays/backplanes.  That leaves 3 bays to put in other stuff.  Initially, it will be a DVD and maybe a backup drive, but eventually I could throw in another 5 drive backplane.

If you look up the Norco RPC-450, RPC-450fh, and RPC-450th, all will become clear... I think...

Same case with varying amounts of hot-swap bays.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

CharleyVarrick

I really want to understand and learn.

You want more 5.25 bays, but you're going to fit them with 5.25 to 3.5 adapter

Why not go straight for more 3.5 bay?

Also you mention buying case and hot swap bays separately.

Again I'd like your take on the pros and cons of this approach over "all in one" (like rpc-4220 or rpc-4224)

BAlGaInTl

I really want to understand and learn.

You want more 5.25 bays, but you're going to fit them with 5.25 to 3.5 adapter

Why not go straight for more 3.5 bay?

Also you mention buying case and hot swap bays separately.

Again I'd like your take on the pros and cons of this approach over "all in one" (like rpc-4220 or rpc-4224)

A few reasons.

1. Size - Most of the cases I'm looking at aren't quite as deep.  I don't need something that houses a giant (EEB) motherboard... Even thought the Norco rpc-450 also does... my server MB is currently mitx.  That being said, the 4220 and 4224 are pretty good as far as depth goes... still a few inches deeper than the 450.

2. Flexibility - Initially, I would like a couple of 5.25 bays available for accessories that I already have.  Neither the 4220 or the 4224 will offer that.  Plus, it opens up some bays for future upgrades with 2.5" drives.  (although I would probably buy a smaller case in that situation).

3. Cost - Pretty self explanatory

4. Power efficiency - So the 4220 and 4224 are severe overkill for me.  I don't see myself ever running that many drives.  Certainly I could (I have about 30 or so enterprise drives)... but I would much rather upgrade periodically with large drives than to keep adding drives.  Plus you would then run in to the added cost of controllers etc.  My MB already supports 12 drives, so a couple for the OS and then 10 left over for storage arrays and pools.

5. I like to buy them separately because I can always move the bays to another case if I like. 

Those are just some things that I thought of off the top of my head.

Edited by BAlGaInTl
  • Like 1

BAlGaInTl

So here's another possibility...

Spied this on Craigslist this weekend...

an HP 10622 22u enclosed rack with what looks like a couple sets of rails as well.

Asking price was $200.

I asked, but the seller isn't flexible at this point, plus I would have to pay tax.  Factor in gas to go and get it and I'm probably looking at $250.

It isn't in perfect condition... the rear doors are misaligned, but can close/latch.  Not a huge deal.

Thoughts?

Is it worth the same cost as the new open rack?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/bfs/6098291017.html

Does anyone have any thoughts on this rack vs. a new open one?

Guest asrequested

I was looking at similar racks when I was researching for mine. I chose the one o have for two main reasons. Price and that I could adjust the size. The enclosures were deeper than I wanted. I like open frame, because I'm always messing with my setup.

• 3 months later...
BAlGaInTl

So I've made some progress... Here's what I have so far

- 1 x half height rack cabinet (Compaq). It's an old one but sturdy. It won't win any beauty pagents. It came with 2 sets of rails and 2 shelves - $50 locally
- 2 x additional shelves - $Free - They were throwing these away at work
- 2 x generic cable management - $Free - also being thrown away from work

The part are mismatched in color, but that isn't the end of the world. If it bugs me, I can paint it... but it's going in the basement anyway.

So far I'm in to it for $50.

I'm still drooling over cases. I'm thinking of sucking it up and getting the Norco RPC-450TH, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Always looking for a deal.