12 replies to this topic

#1 tjlmbklr OFFLINE  

tjlmbklr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:03 PM

This is more a general question since this happens on my FireTV as well my Android app. I have a few series I like to just hit shuffle and let the media gods choose what I watch. I find it has a tendency to play the same files over and over. Some of these series have hundreds of episodes, how does this happen, what dictates this?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 127006 posts
  • Local time: 01:02 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:08 PM

Hi, we're using a random sorting function built into the database. What button exactly are you pressing where you're seeing this? thanks !

#3 tjlmbklr OFFLINE  

tjlmbklr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

Hi, we're using a random sorting function built into the database. What button exactly are you pressing where you're seeing this? thanks !

It's labeled "Shuffle"

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#4 the3dman OFFLINE  

the3dman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 12:02 AM

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but I did not want to start a new one since my issue seems related or the same as the OP's.

I have a playlist of 250 songs (15hrs) all synced for offline play on Android. When I click the "Shuffle" button in the playlist, it always seems to select/play the same 30 or so songs every time. Since most of my car rides are ~1hr, this means I never end up hearing the majority of the songs in my playlist. My workaround (which is not a good one) has been to only pause the music so I can resume where I left off when I get back in the car, but this only helps so much since eventually the app seems to be shutdown by the system from inactivity, or I play other content while not driving which also forces me to stop the music and restart a shuffle when I get back to the car.

Not sure what a fix would be for this except maybe having the app track the number of times a song has been played and have it prioritize songs that have been played less in the ordering process.

I am on Emby 3.0.48 and Android 9

Edited by the3dman, 10 May 2019 - 09:58 PM.

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 127006 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:44 AM

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but I did not want to start a new one since my issue seems related or the same as the OP's.

I have a playlist of 250 songs (15hrs) all synced for offline play on Android. When I click the "Shuffle" button in the playlist, it always seems to select/play the same 30 or so songs every time. Since most of my car rides are ~1hr, this means I never end up hearing the majority of the songs in my playlist. My workaround (which is not a good one) has been to only pause the music so I can resume where I left off when I get back in the car, but this only helps so much since eventually the app seems to be shutdown by the system from inactivity, or I play other content while not driving which also forces me to stop the music and restart a shuffle when I get back to the car.

Not sure what a fix would be for this except maybe having the app track the number of times a song has been played and have it prioritize songs that have been played less in the ordering process.

I am on Emby 3.0.48 and Android 9

We'll look at improving this, thanks.

#6 RobWayBro OFFLINE  

RobWayBro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:06 PM

It seems this can be an issue if content is not added frequently.  I have 4000+ songs and hear the same 100-200.  It does not seem to matter at what start point I use, I hear the same songs over and over.  I have started from the top level Music icon on the Home page, started at a Genre selection, etc.  There are songs I have not ever heard while "shuffling".  I have another thread out there on this as well.  Theater app and Web app are the two I experience this occurring.

#7 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 127006 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

#8 RobWayBro OFFLINE  

RobWayBro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

Question, what is the difference between shuffle and instant mix?

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 127006 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:04 AM

Instant mix will incorporate other library items that are similar.

#10 RobWayBro OFFLINE  

RobWayBro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:31 PM

So if I start an Instant Mix from a Genre, will it cross Genre's?  

I guess what I am most curious about is would using instant mix possibly provide a way to get the items that are "skipped" when using shuffle?

#11 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 127006 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

Items are not skipped when shuffling.

I'll have to review instant mix for genres as is might be the same as shuffle, in which case we should remove it.

#12 RobWayBro OFFLINE  

RobWayBro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

Skip may have been the wrong word, but I have songs in my collection that after many months (years really have never played.  Out of 3800 songs, 221 have never played and I use Shuffle at work almost exclusively, so after 8 hours a day for more then 10 months, I *should* have heard every song in my collection at least once.  

For me the database random sort function just does not seem sufficient, especially with a collection that does not have media added much.  I have not added any new songs in many months.

Music is pretty much the only media I use shuffle to play.

Thanks for listening, and I do appreciate the product and the excellent support y'all give.

#13 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 127006 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

We will look at improving it, thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users