Do I need to upgrade my Synology 216play to something else?

themimperials

themimperials

Hello everyone!

I have a Synology 216play running my emby server, but it is painfully problematic. I have two usage schemes which I will try to lay out, to see if you can help guide me whether or not to buy a new(better) NAS.

1. Playing content from my NVIDIA Shield, using SPMC with emby in direct mode. This works perfectly fine, never any problems here!

2. Playing content from an iPhone/iPad to a Chromecast. This is VERY problematic. Most of the videos I try to play just completely locks up the NAS. I cannot even access DSM or anything, and if I can, the RAM usage is at 100%, and I can just barely force a reboot to make it work again.

So I would like to solve #2. I only ever use one device at a time, so I would just like to have it so that my NAS can handle any video content, without getting all kinds of killed. I believe it might be related to playing direct vs. transcoding. Since everything works perfectly on my Shield, where I only use direct paths, it must have to do with either transcoding ability or iOS compatibility. Any ideas?

Should I upgrade to a 916+? Or something different?

Any other things I can do to make it work better?

mikeraburn

Do you have access to an android phone /  tablet to test that with your chrome-cast?

My money is on the I devices being the weakest link for your casting issue. 

I have zero experience with apple products and chrome-cast.

I have the DS216play and have ha zero issues with a Emby / Roku setup.

The new Roku Stick is powerful item for it being a stick.

(I do not have money invested in Roku, yet)

themimperials

Nope, no android devices other than my NViDIA Shield. I have an IPhone 7 Plus and iPad Pro, but both of them show this issue.

If it is a device problem on i devices, I just don't get why it entirely kills my Synology, to the point where my NAS is inaccessible completely. Neither my Macs or anything can access my NAS in any way when it is going on. Then usually I can magically access it again the next day, probably since it has given up transcoding.

I just checked and my MacBook Peo can also lay the server down completely if I try to play something off the web interface. Works great with KODI in direct mode.

I really believe that some of my settings must be wrong? Or the 216play is too weak to play anything other than direct?

themimperials

My problems are kind of random, and spreading across a multitude of different files/format. I would like to report specific media issues, but then I need to find a couple of examples that show my issue cases.

But, first of all. It might be too open of a question, but is the 216play a little underpowered to run Emby on it, when the NAS is also doing other stuff? And can I expect a great increase in performance with, say, a 916+?

The 216 may have trouble with transcoding, so in that respect, yes, the 916 would be a better option. If your media will direct play then the 216 should be fine.

solabc16

Hi @@themimperials

Luke is pretty much on the money, if it's transcoding the ST Microelectronics processor (STiH412) in the DS216play is going to struggle.

My preferred approach is to try and find a way to build your system/library so that direct play is possible for you chosen devices.

I do understand that's not always possible and Emby Server's transcoding feature is a great fallback to bridge the gaps where necessary. However, it is CPU intensive, so if you don't have a processor with h/w transcoding support, it's most likely not going to work or certainly not well enough to provide an acceptable viewing experience.

Best

- James

mikeraburn

Chosen devices for DS216 play, ROKU 4 and up.

I had a ROKU 3 setup on one TV that I hadn't even used EMBY on since getting my DS216 play.

Tried EMBY out on the ROKU 3 one afternoon and it seemed EVERYTHING needed to transcode.

Swapped out the ROKU 3 to the ROKU 4 and POOF, all was well. 

Cool advertisement for ROKU, huh?

Also, hardly ANYTHING needs transcoding on my ROKU Ultra.