Upgraded Server - used db backup to restore - missing TV settings?

gleep52
Go to solution Solved by CBers,

gleep52

Does a restart happen during the restore process?

Yes I believe so - at the end.  Only takes a few seconds.

Happy2Play

That seems like a pretty poor setup if that's not saved and restored on the new system.  Why does it even need to do a full library scan?  Can't that be part of the backup to avoid this whole mess?

If you want you backups to potentially be Gb in size, then sure just backup the server folder (my people folder is 52Gb alone).  The media are assigned new id numbers with every database build.

Happy2Play

Like this.

Where the "User" above that section selected also?

gleep52

Yes, tried it both ways.

And like I said - I still have the old server if there is a way of copying all that data over??

CBers

In the last few weeks, I have used the backup/restore plugin to fully restore users and WATCHED STATUSES etc., when moving 2x Emby installs to new servers for myself and a family member. I never had a problem.

WRT the initial setup before the restore, Emby is designed to be installed as a new installation, hence the wizard. I found it easier to install afresh, add your libraries, run the library scan then do the restore.

I also pre-created the users before the restore.

gleep52

If you want you backups to potentially be Gb in size, then sure just backup the server folder (my people folder is 52Gb alone).  The media are assigned new id numbers with every database build.

How can I salvage my old data?  And if the id numbers are different on each database build - how is the watched progress restored that way?

gleep52

In the last few weeks, I have used the backup/restore plugin to fully restore users and WATCHED STATUSES etc., when moving 2x Emby installs to new servers for myself and a family member. I never had a problem.

WRT the initial setup before the restore, Emby is designed to be installed as a new installation, hence the wizard. I found it easier to install afresh, add your libraries, run the library scan then do the restore.

I also pre-created the users before the restore.

I'm glad to hear it worked for someone - but it's not working for me.  Setting up the libraries would take a lot of time, not to mention the 10+ hours it takes to scan the libraries.  I only have 7 users so that's not bad, but the restore part DID work on recreating the users.  :)

CBers

Watched Status is stored per user, so create your user(s), then restore user A to user A, or even user A to user B.

gleep52

Watched Status is stored per user, so create your user(s), then restore user A to user A, or even user A to user B.

The users are created, and every user had their own watch progress I need to restore.  Restoring them after they are created does not fix the problem.  

Happy2Play

How can I salvage my old data?  And if the id numbers are different on each database build - how is the watched progress restored that way?

As Luke mentioned they are tracked by tmdb/imdb ids for watched status because itemids change with every build, and provider metadata ids (almost) never is never does.

CBers

What do you mean by "Setting up the libraries would take a lot of time"??

Library Scan length depends on the size and complexity of your libraries.

Did it take 10 hours on the old PC as well?

gleep52

Since I have the old server, surely there is a way to copy or move the data to make it a perfect match no?

Happy2Play

As Luke mentioned they are tracked by tmdb/imdb ids for watched status because itemids change with every build, and provider metadata ids (almost) never is never does.

Since you say the plugin is not working and you have the old database, maybe export the userdata table from the old database and import into the new database.

Edited by Happy2Play

gleep52

What do you mean by "Setting up the libraries would take a lot of time"??

Library Scan length depends on the size and complexity of your libraries.

Did it take 10 hours on the old PC as well?

I have about 20TB of files - thousands of TV shows, hundreds of movies.  It only ran periodic scans and it was months ago when I first set it up.  I let it run overnight and it wasn't done in the morning, so I'm guessing yes it took a long time.  

• Solution
CBers

Since I have the old server, surely there is a way to copy or move the data to make it a perfect match no?

You could install Emby on the new PC, then shut Emby down and copy everything over the top, bar the system folder, providing the library paths would remain the same.

It's not a supported method, but it might work for you.

• Like 1

gleep52

Since you say the plugin is not working and you have the old database, maybe export the userdata table for the old database and import into the new database.

if you're talking about the db browser method in the backup wiki - as I stated to Luke - I already tried that.  All is does is erase my favorites and watched status progress to a brand new user.  

gleep52

You could install Emby on the new PC, then shut Emby down and copy everything over the top, bar the system folder, providing the library paths would remain the same.

It's not a supported method, but it might work for you.

Everything except the system folder?  

Happy2Play

Someones steps need explaining step by step then as I have just did both processes per the wiki without issue.

gleep52

Special thanks to CBers - copying everything from my old %appdata% folder to the new one minus the system folder appears to have worked perfectly.  It is now reprocessing a library scan, people scan, and guide data.

Even my recorded series schedules are remembered!

• Like 2

Happy2Play

Special thanks to CBers - copying everything from my old %appdata% folder to the new one minus the system folder appears to have worked perfectly.  It is now reprocessing a library scan, people scan, and guide data.

Even my recorded series schedules are remembered!

Basically the same as the db listed in wiki for manual backup process, but doing the whole folder adds some extras.

gleep52

Copying all files also restored my custom images to my libraries.  The backup plugin doesn't back those up either.

Happy2Play

Copying all files also restored my custom images to my libraries.  The backup plugin doesn't back those up either.

Something in the restore process is failing on your setup then as library images are part of the restore process.

gleep52

Well if you have any questions you want to ask so we can troubleshoot how to fix it for others - I'm here.  I am running server 2016 now on the new server... I wonder if that has something to do with it?