4k High CPU and studder, Plays fine in browser

pir8radio

Guest asrequested

Damn! I wish I had a 4K TV. I really want to mess with this. Jeremy was having issues, too. Try changing this to 4, also. That should put it in DXVA native

<HwaMode>3</HwaMode>

brad_w

That's not going to cut it. You could try setting HW acceleration to none, but I think you're going to have some problems. Try playing it with kodi, like Jeremy

does 4K content rely heavily on the CPU when using hardware acceleration?  I was under the impression this was pushing the graphics hardware

reason I ask is I've been trying to push the hardware as hard as I can go with chroma scaling algorithms in madVR, but any HEVC content is struggling even on the lowest settings.  I figured a GTX1060 would be able to handle it, but never thought of the CPU..

Guest asrequested

does 4K content rely heavily on the CPU when using hardware acceleration?  I was under the impression this was pushing the graphics hardware

reason I ask is I've been trying to push the hardware as hard as I can go with chroma scaling algorithms in madVR, but any HEVC content is struggling even on the lowest settings.  I figured a GTX1060 would be able to handle it, but never thought of the CPU..

HEVC hasn't been added to the HWA codec list, yet. But you can test adding it in the directshowplayer.xml, yourself.

<HwaEnabledCodecs>
      <string>H264</string>
      <string>VC1</string>
      <string>MPEG2</string>
      <string>HEVC</string>
    </HwaEnabledCodecs>

In addition to that, you would need to enable hardware acceleration in the app's video settings.

pir8radio

Damn! I wish I had a 4K TV. I really want to mess with this. Jeremy was having issues, too. Try changing this to 4, also. That should put it in DXVA native

<HwaMode>3</HwaMode>

During my previous test I tried setting this from the gui by setting hardware acceleration to DXVA, i assume this xml setting does the same as the drop down setting it in the GUI?   If not i'll try using the xml.

Guest asrequested

In the UI there isn't a setting for DXVA2 native, only copyback which requires the GPU to be selected. I'm assuming Babgvant has written that instruction into the XML. DXVA2 native doesn't require that. Setting the number to 4 should use the native setting in LAV. I was just trying to test that option. Can you play 4k 8bit files?

Edited by Doofus

pir8radio

In the UI there isn't a setting for DXVA2 native, only copyback which requires the GPU to be selected. I'm assuming Babgvant has written that instruction into the XML. DXVA2 native doesn't require that. Setting the number to 4 should use the native setting in LAV. I was just trying to test that option. Can you play 4k 8bit files?

no love

pir8radio

Not 8bit either? And could you play it in Kodi?

OH... I didn't try an 8 bit movie, ill have to look one up...   changing HWA mode to 4 didn't do anything.  

Guest asrequested

OH... I didn't try an 8 bit movie, ill have to look one up...   changing HWA mode to 4 didn't do anything.  

Kodi?

In the config file you may also want to set HwaResolution to 7. At the default value, non intel gpu's are excluded from gpu acceleration at 4k resolution. i'll have to ask babgvant about that.

Guest asrequested

Just testing it. DXVA2 doesn't appear to use the HWA at all, with the resolution set to 1 or 7. I watch my GPU and CPU. GPU frequency barely changes, and CPU assumes all the load. Copyback we know works with HEVC in HWA codec list.

UPDATE:

Using edge filters, a little more of the GPU is used, but still only half of the bandwidth, around 600MHz of 1150MHz. But I'm only testing with 1080p 10bit

Edited by Doofus

But you're saying it works on the installed version when manually mucking with the config file?

Guest asrequested

But you're saying it works on the installed version when manually mucking with the config file?

I'll just retest that. BRB

Guest asrequested

Yes.

58e5c891452c3_Snapshot_585.jpg

Guest asrequested

Here are the two configs side by side

58e5ca48c855d_Snapshot_587.jpg

And here is the result playing with the portable

58e5ca885f697_Snapshot_586.jpg

Guest asrequested

but those are not the same. just overwrite it.

That did it. I guess I missed something. This is why I'm not a developer lol

Guest asrequested

Now I see the same system resources being used as I do when using WMP with the installed LAV. 

Any HwaMode less than 0 = Auto. It looks like it works on Auto, then when you try to force dxvanative it doesn't work. I'll have to ask babgvant about that.

Guest asrequested

Any HwaMode less than 0 = Auto. It looks like it works on Auto, then when you try to force dxvanative it doesn't work. I'll have to ask babgvant about that.

But when I set it to 4, it works. You just have to make sure its the last thing you set, and restart the app, or it'll get written over.

Here's the other thing that happens with HEVC playback in ET. It doesn't happen in other players.

58e5d007ad0aa_Capture_27.gif

Guest asrequested

OK that's weird. When I copy my other config file over, it works. But when I use the UI settings and it rewrites the config, it doesn't work. But the copyback works fine

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Oh now I see it! It sets to " -4 "