4k High CPU and studder, Plays fine in browser

pir8radio

pir8radio

Emby Theater consumes 100% CPU when playing this video, all ET Options set to auto (though I did try every conceivable option), when playing in ET I get stuttery video, and audio leaves movie behind.  Audio seems to play fine while movie stutters and plays slow.   Bitrate set to 4k 120mbps,  If I open a browser (EDGE) the same movie at 4k 120mbps plays fine only consuming 3% CPU.  Any ideas?

VideoCodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level150
Resolution3840x1600
Aspect ratio2.40:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate50931 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p10le
Ref frames1
AudioLanguageeng
CodecTRUEHD
Layout7.1
Channels8 ch
Sample rate48000 Hz
Bit depth24 bit
DefaultNo
TitleEng Dolby Atmos TrueHD 7.1 @ 5205 kbps

Guest asrequested

It's 10bit, and you have 6th gen intel, correct? Are you using MadVR and enabled 10bit playback?

AdrianW

It's 10bit, and you have 6th gen intel, correct? Are you using MadVR and enabled 10bit playback?

I wonder if this is a similar issue to what I've been having with hevc and some 30/60fps content.

Does enabling or disabling 10bit playback increase performance? 

JeremyFr79

I have found that ET and 4K is just not something you should expect to work at this time.  I switched to Kodi for the Front End on my 4K machine and haven't looked back.  Until the dev's feel like giving us control of the codecs used by ET, I wouldn't expect much.

pir8radio

I don't really play around with the ET settings much because I'm a computer/network guy lol I don't know much at all about all of the video "stuff".    I have video renderer set to auto and hardware acceleration mode set to auto.  if I click the madvr button at the bottom of the video settings page the only option i have is "Smooth motion mode" and it is set to none.  I cant seem to find any settings that show 10bit anything.

this box has a gen4 in it..  i3-4170T

Edited by pir8radio

Guest asrequested

I don't really play around with the ET settings much because I'm a computer/network guy lol I don't know much at all about all of the video "stuff".    I have video renderer set to auto and hardware acceleration mode set to auto.  if I click the madvr button at the bottom of the video settings page the only option i have is "Smooth motion mode" and it is set to none.  I cant seem to find any settings that show 10bit anything.

this box has a gen4 in it..  i3-4170T

That's not going to cut it. You could try setting HW acceleration to none, but I think you're going to have some problems. Try playing it with kodi, like Jeremy

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

So this isn't a 4K file, but here's a comparison between Emby Theater desktop and Kodi's GPU usage. Theater player needs a bit of work. I'm testing on an i5 6500.

The file

58e19c76deb2e_Snapshot_576.jpg

Played with Kodi

58e19ca868f49_Kodi.gif

Played with Emby Theater

58e19ce2e5f97_EmbyGPU.gif

A little update. I was using MadVR, above. This was with EVR renderer. There's still a noticeable difference in GPU utilization.

58e19f6a5f772_ScreenCapture_3.gif

Edited by Doofus

pir8radio

That's not going to cut it. You could try setting HW acceleration to none, but I think you're going to have some problems. Try playing it with kodi, like Jeremy

<_<   I like ET, and was trying to avoid kodi....   Any things kodi doesn't do better than ET?  I guess i'm looking for "cons" to using kodi.

Guest asrequested

<_<   I like ET, and was trying to avoid kodi....   Any things kodi doesn't do better than ET?  I guess i'm looking for "cons" to using kodi.

It's just the player. Maybe better memory management? Kodi is obviously well established, but I much prefer Emby.  But if people are wanting to use small boxes for playing 4K HEVC with theater, some changes need to be made, I think. It's clearly having a bit of a conniption. 

pir8radio

It's just the player. Maybe better memory management? Kodi is obviously well established, but I much prefer Emby.  But if people are wanting to use small boxes for playing 4K HEVC with theater, some changes need to be made, I think. It's clearly having a bit of a conniption. 

what do you mean its only the player?  Like I can use kodi as an external player within ET?  Cuz im installing kodi and syncing it up right now lol.

JeremyFr79

what do you mean its only the player?  Like I can use kodi as an external player within ET?  Cuz im installing kodi and syncing it up right now lol.

KODI with Emby is just another Front End for Emby.  In my scenario is actually works better for me no matter what as I use ServerWMC for Live TV and Kodi directly interfaces with it without reliance on Emby and as such I get a far superior experience using live TV with Kodi.  My own experience with Kodi (once getting past a little learning curve) has actually been awesome.  I'll never move away from Emby, but Kodi is a much more mature front end with or without Emby behind it.  I've really been happy with it and it solved all my playback issues I was experiencing with ET, I can't say there is really any downsides in my experience with it, but with everything YMMV.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

I was testing with Emby for Kodi, but it all uses the same player. Looking at the GIFs I made, Kodi uses twice as much memory. That has to be a factor, don't you think? Kodi uses the full bandwidth of my GPU while Theater uses just over 50%. That can't be a coincidence.

I meant how the player functions.

pir8radio

Thanks guys, Ill do some testing and see if my results jive with your testing..   However its going to be a while, I opted to include my music library.. lol sooo its going to be syncing for a while...

AdrianW

I've been using MPC-HC as an external player for ET - advantage is that it can play 60Hz and x265 (no idea about 4K) without dropping frames, disadvantages - ET hasn't been coded to properly communicate with external players - so no playback progress is reported back to Emby.

Guest asrequested

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what the GPU HW acceleration usage would be when playing that file using LAV with Windows Media Player, using these settings

58e2ff89adacd_Snapshot_579.jpg

Here is the result. Notice a similar amount of memory and bandwidth to kodi are used. Although, in this case, HW acceleration appears to bite off chunks, rather than a continuous stream. I wanted to rule out that the issue was with LAV. I also tested using DXVA2copyback. The result was the same.

58e2ffc53c4d4_ScreenCapture_4.gif

So somehow we need to get Theater to utilize all of the available HW acceleration. I think then this issue will be mostly, if not fully resolved.

UPDATE:

I was playing it with a small window. Increasing the window size causes a steady HW decoding stream 1050MHz, instead of the intermediate decode seen in the GIF. 

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Problem solved (I think). I added HEVC to hardware codecs

<HwaEnabledCodecs>
      <string>H264</string>
      <string>VC1</string>
      <string>MPEG2</string>
      <string>HEVC</string>
</HwaEnabledCodecs>

And now look at the result

58e30bb639b92_ScreenCapture_5.gif

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Nice find !

Something needs adjusting, though. Skipping around with the progress bar causes pixel blocking. It recovers fairly quickly, but I don't get the same thing happening in other players. This was happening before I added HEVC to the HW acceleration. I'm waiting to see if others see it, too, before I start a new thread.

JeremyFr79

@@pir8radio and @@JeremyFr79, you guys wanna test this?

I'm out of town on business for the next week so no way to test this until at least Friday :(  But I did try that with ET when I was doing all my testing and still couldn't get reliable hardware decoding with KabyLake

Guest asrequested

I'm out of town on business for the next week so no way to test this until at least Friday :(  But I did try that with ET when I was doing all my testing and still couldn't get reliable hardware decoding with KabyLake

I should have mine by the weekend. I'll test again, then.

pir8radio

Problem solved (I think). I added HEVC to hardware codecs

<HwaEnabledCodecs>
      <string>H264</string>
      <string>VC1</string>
      <string>MPEG2</string>
      <string>HEVC</string>
</HwaEnabledCodecs>

what xml are these settings in?  My ET Config has no HwaEnabledCodecs section.

EDIT: nvrm found it.

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

no improvement for me...  But my issue might be CPU....