New Emby and all songs in one folder 150 limit

PC Nerd

PC Nerd

Hi all,

The latest version of Emby for music rocks (just updated it from the preview and the wife and I are loving it)...

Thanks so much for all you guys do, this is truly like having a juke box built right into my roku... adding to the queue, playing songs randomly and just wiping the queue are excellent. It would be nice to remove a song from the queue if possible but I am not complaining at all about that.

One question though, I have all of my music in one folder for Emby to index (about 1000 songs so far). I am guessing not how Emby is designed to be used but before I start organizing into folders for artist album etc I am wondering if Emby could/should just work this way or not? - I thought it did at first but as I was going through my list of songs I got to number 150 and it didn't show anymore, the list just stopped ... is this limitation by design due to how I structure my music library or a "bug"?

Thanks again.

Regards,

PC Nerd.

skidmarks

Someone will have to chime in with the answer you are looking for.  But if you are just starting to build your library do yourself a huge favor (i learned the hard way) and take the time to put your media in order.  It will become a nightmare to wait until your libraries become larger.  Emby will recognize all of your music and will make it much easier for you to keep track of your libraries.

Artist name/album/song  if you do not have full albums i create a album called singles and drop the music files into that for each artist.  Then number each track.

You may already know this, and am in no way trying to step on your toes.  Just trying to be helpful!

PC Nerd

Thanks tons (no offense taken at all, appreciate your concern on that) for the suggestion Skid and clearly I may need to do that but I prefer not to do all that work if I don't have to and see if Emby will work for that... I like the option of just going through and seeing single songs instead of the multiple "clicks" for Artist, then album then song. It makes creating on the fly queues much more like just scrolling through a list of random songs and adding them as the mood strikes. I may do what most media browsers/media servers require on another drive over time though.

Hopefully someone at Emby can answer my OP.

Thanks again.

PC Nerd

You have what is known as a single various artists album, aka, all audio files in a single folder called /mp3 or something.

This will work to shuffle, instant mix, go into artists. But it will not work correctly for studio or genre. It might not work correctly for artists depending on the app. Some apps do not like to display track level items, and are designed around displaying by album when in the artist/studio/genre viewpoint.

So yes, in short what you have will work. But all the tracks will be assumed to be part of an album at the same time. The music artist assigned this album will be the first artist alphabetically from all the tracks. This isn't optimal, but it is what it is when you organize how you are. There are compromises you have to make.

Edited by speechles

PC Nerd

Hi ebr,

At my house ... <sorry bad joke> :oP ... It actually happens everywhere I want to view the songs. As a starting point when I open the app (Home) then select the folder or the "icon" that shows a basic image of some of the artists in that location. It opens to what I am guessing it considers as the album. All of my songs are just indexed from a single folder called music on my server. Hopefully thats the info you're looking for but if not just holler back and I may be able to attach some pictures if the forums will let me...

Thanks.

PC Nerd.