79 replies to this topic

#61 Koleckai Silvestri OFFLINE  

Koleckai Silvestri

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 3768 posts
  • Local time: 04:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

When you get another chance, can  you please submit another log from the app so I can try and trace exactly what is happening?  Thx.

I no longer use a Roku device on my main television due to this issue. I using an Amazon Fire TV and it is better but not perfect. Only about 70% of the episodes with subtitles actually play the subtitles. Most of my subtitles are external SRT format and downloaded by Emby. I don't really care if the content is transcoded or direct streamed. I care that it has subtitles. Content is worthless without them.

The web app and the UWP Theater apps show subtitles 100% of the time when the subtitles exist. It doesn't matter if they are in the container or external.

#62 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2323 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

@mediacowboy ?

@Sammy ?

@bardmaster ?

@Farfignugget ?

@Clark ?

@flcruising ?

@farside847 ?

@econ ?

@nagetech ?

@bungee91 ?

@pir8radio ?

@Jdiesel ?

@vaise ?

Thanks !

Sorry. Been away for a while. I have issues with playback of srt subs as well. Not enough of an issue to quit using it on Roku though as we have 6 of them in the house and take one when traveling to stream from emby to the hotel TV.

#63 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124366 posts
  • Local time: 07:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

@Sammy what exactly is the issue?

#64 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Local time: 06:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

@mediacowboy ?

@Sammy ?

@bardmaster ?

@Farfignugget ?

@Clark ?

@flcruising ?

@farside847 ?

@econ ?

@nagetech ?

@bungee91 ?

@pir8radio ?

@Jdiesel ?

@vaise ?

Thanks !

This is the best I got from a user of mine who I asked to test this (I don't have a Roku), maybe it will help somewhat, but not a direct answer to your question:

So I watched an episode last night. Captions were on as soon as it started (as they were when I started the episode earlier in the day, on a different Roku). 
Pressing star to get the captions menu, it would appear and disappear immediately. After 3 or 4 attempts, the menu would stay up and I could change the setting to off. 
I did not attempt to re-activate them. I guess that would have been more helpful to the forum question. But definitely something goofy about that menu in general. 

#65 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124366 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

Sounds like maybe the remote registered two button clicks and immediately hid the captions menu?

#66 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2323 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

@Luke

No subtitles display for SRT subtitles. Those that are inside the container don't seem to be an issue at all.

Edited by Sammy, 28 June 2017 - 03:22 PM.

#67 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124366 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

@Luke

No subtitles display for SRT subtitles. Those that are inside the container don't seem to be an issue at all.

@Sammy, why do you feel there is no display of subtitles? Have you configured closed caption settings on the Roku?

#68 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2323 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

Yes. I think so. They display when there isn't an independent subtitle file AFAIK. Tell you what, let me look into it a bit more but do you need a log?

TIA

#69 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124366 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

@Sammy how exactly have you configured closed captions on your roku?

#70 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2323 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

@Luke

I'll look when I get home.

#71 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2323 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

I'm not sure if I'm on the beta or on the release version actually so maybe I'm posting in the wrong place. On one Roku the subs played perfectly. On another, not so well.

At first they didn't load but when I exited out the text of the last spoken thing was on the screen when I switched to check out the ip cam plugin. The camera video didn't play, it said "No Compatible Streams" in the center of the screen and had the subtitle text on the bottom of the screen.

I was running out of time to test this while getting the ip cams up and running but I will test more and report back.

#72 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124366 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

@Sammy how exactly have you configured closed captions on your roku?

• Sammy likes this

#73 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2323 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

I'll look into that when I get back home again. Probably tomorrow but I have it set to "on" AFAIK.

#74 Farfignugget OFFLINE  

Farfignugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Local time: 12:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

@Luke, i tried testing this last night. I set roku captions to always on and dashboard to always show. I tried to reproduce the situation where the subtitle is selected but not playing, then select it again, and pause/play. I could never get the subtitle to show... then i discovered i had a few empty srt files and that was why.
So as of right now, the only issue i can see on my end is, even though all settings are on to show subtitles, sometimes i still have to go in and select them to start them. But the sub is never selected AND not playing (except for the empty srt files i had).
I'm going to test tonight again on my roku 3 and i need to find out if the movies that are playing the subs correctly could possibly have internal subs.

Edited by Farfignugget, 30 June 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#75 Farfignugget OFFLINE  

Farfignugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

I'm not sure if I'm on the beta or on the release version actually so maybe I'm posting in the wrong place. On one Roku the subs played perfectly. On another, not so well.

At first they didn't load but when I exited out the text of the last spoken thing was on the screen when I switched to check out the ip cam plugin. The camera video didn't play, it said "No Compatible Streams" in the center of the screen and had the subtitle text on the bottom of the screen.

I was running out of time to test this while getting the ip cams up and running but I will test more and report back.

@Luke, i got this error a ton while testing. I've had it randomly before but i believe i can reproduce this when the subs are on. I was able to continue in the app (with subs off i was never able to do that) so i sent a log.
Server - server
User - Dad
1:31am

Edited by Farfignugget, 30 June 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#76 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Local time: 06:58 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Sounds like maybe the remote registered two button clicks and immediately hid the captions menu?

I can confirm this is likely the case, yes.

I'm told that presses in general (especially d-pad) are bad in the Emby Roku app (his words; again don't have a Roku) in that they register two clicks quite often.

O.T. but, can the button press repeat time be adjusted at all in the app or by the end user to fix this from occuring? 

#77 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124366 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

I will need @ebr's opinion on that. As far as I know it is the system that tells us back was pressed and we simply respond to it.

#78 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 43748 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Correct, we have no control over repeat rate or other remote operation.

Due to the way the Roku handles subtitles, though, we are having to do some trickery to get them to automatically turn on when they should.  It just sounds like, with different firmware versions and maybe just different devices, this trickery is not 100% reliable.

#79 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Local time: 09:58 AM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:05 AM

I cant say i have ever used subtitles.  I tried once for one of the new planet of the apes movies, did not work then, tried to learn ape sign language for a while, then used my PC instead.  Never needed to watch one with subtitles before that or since that.

#80 Farfignugget OFFLINE  

Farfignugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

"tried to learn ape sign language for a while"
+1 for effort

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users