79 replies to this topic

#41 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4601 posts
  • Local time: 11:25 PM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

Thanks. The app did turn on the subtitle track at initial playback. I cannot explain why the Roku player isn't actually showing it to you...

Its simple. Captions must be enabled first. The embedded roku dialog has captions on/off at top in both of its forms, original and newmodel.

In the original form, you have: captions on/off, caption track, audio track.

In the new newmodel, you have: captions on/off, audio track, night listening, and accssibility at the bottom. Hidden inside the accessibility menu is the captioning track selector where this can be changed.

You cant trap * on new models, because it already is doing this. New models have both dialogs, I can make it show either the old or new dialog on my ultra. Using roUniversalControlEvent doesnt seem to allow trapping the roku dialogs when using *, you can trap one or the other, not both.

Also note, you have to literally dump the contents of the embedded core routines from bslCore.brs to debug console in order to see/know all the control events, such as the a and b gaming buttons, and our friend the * asterisk button. I am guess you already know this? Maybe use A button to change caption tracks, and the B button to change audio tracks? That would be entirely possible, and still let the normal roku dialogs have the * button.

Edited by speechles, 30 March 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#42 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45278 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 AM

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

Its simple. Captions must be enabled first. The embedded roku dialog has captions on/off at top in both of its forms, original and newmodel.

I realize that.  The app turns that option on whenever a subtitle track is selected.  Otherwise, none of our subtitle selections would be working.

Also, his subs wouldn't start working just by pausing and restarting.

Something strange here is going on and I'm not sure yet if it is something under the app's control or not.

#43 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4601 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

@ebr re-read my post above, made some edits.

On roku3 choosing subtitle doesnt turn them on for me, but does on the roku ultra. The roku3 has issues for me in that it cant select using the embedded roku dialog the internal SSA correctly unless they are the default track, seems to work fine with external SRT. One starts to think, roku isnt interested in putting older devices top priority.

If I instead, choose audio&subtitles first before playing with the old app, I can select anything and it just works. There is no possibility to change on-the-fly once this is done though. So caveat, but this does work around the problem. This is why I suggested the new app add this pre-play chooser, so that until roku gets their shit together, people stop thinking its an app problem.

Also, try using your premier, and press * during play, choose accessibility and then a non default caption track. It will respawn the video player. When he presses pause and then plays again, it must simulate to the roku this was done.

Edited by speechles, 30 March 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#44 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45278 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

It may be some sort of timing that I have to play with in relation to setting these options.

Using my Roku 3 I can make it work sometimes and fail sometimes.  I'll have to try some stuff to work around it and see if I can get it to be reliable on both platforms.

#45 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4601 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

@ebr, offtopic but.. what about gaming buttons to change subtitle/audiotrack? A button brings up change caption track, B button brings up audio track. This way you dont need to be concerned, how or why, at the moment using * as custom. If you already use roUniversalControlEvent to detect keypresses, that would be the way to go. Even though, some models lack gaming buttons, the roku 2/3/4/ultra have them. For these people, you could make use of those buttons, they just go unused otherwise..lol

... And it looks like external srt work because they force a video player respawn, transcoding and all. I bet if one codes subtitles changes to always respawn with resume from same point then internal non-default would work too.. hmm... Might play with things and get back to you.. heh

Edited by speechles, 30 March 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#46 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45278 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

The issues with using those buttons are 1) the newer devices don't have them (at least my Premiere doesn't) and 2) a new user would have no idea they work that way and will still press * to try and change options.

#47 tyr_88 OFFLINE  

tyr_88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Local time: 12:25 AM
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

The issues with using those buttons are 1) the newer devices don't have them (at least my Premiere doesn't) and 2) a new user would have no idea they work that way and will still press * to try and change options.

Ok I have a few issues would you like me to start own thread or post here?

Couple bugs it seems on displaying

Edited by tyr_88, 31 March 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#48 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45278 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Ok I have a few issues would you like me to start own thread or post here?

Please create new posts - one per issue.  Thanks!

#49 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45278 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

Koleckai - please test out the sub switching in the next beta version.  I tried something and would like to see if it helps.  Thanks.

#50 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45278 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

Also, I think I've figured out a hack to get the * key trapping working like I want it to on both levels of firmware, so try that out too.

#51 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4601 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

Also, I think I've figured out a hack to get the * key trapping working like I want it to on both levels of firmware, so try that out too.

Roku is becoming very strict about hacks like this in their public facing store. As a private app this works, as a public app which shows on roku store on roku devices your app will be denied, just be aware. P__x had same problem, and uses the normal down press + audio/subtitle icons to accomplish this. You cannot override global captions, nor work outside the box.

Edited by speechles, 03 April 2017 - 04:34 PM.

#52 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45278 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

Roku is becoming very strict about hacks like this in their public facing store. As a private app this works, as a public app which shows on roku store on roku devices your app will be denied, just be aware. P__x had same problem, and uses the normal down press + audio/subtitle icons to accomplish this. You cannot override global captions, nor work outside the box.

Yeah, I wondered about that. I guess we'll see.

If that is their stance, they really should design their dialog to be a bit more straightforward and less confusing. 

#53 Koleckai Silvestri OFFLINE  

Koleckai Silvestri

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 3768 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

Koleckai - please test out the sub switching in the next beta version.  I tried something and would like to see if it helps.  Thanks.

What version is that?

#54 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45278 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

What version is that?

#55 tyr_88 OFFLINE  

tyr_88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Local time: 12:25 AM
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

I bumped my system back to last month backup and put beta server on seems to be working good

BETA nor Stable shows my playlist via Roku the folders always there open it get 0 of 0

I will mess with it some more tonight just getting meta caught up

#56 Koleckai Silvestri OFFLINE  

Koleckai Silvestri

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 3768 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

I've finally been able to work with this. Not trying to switch subs just get the default ones to play. They still do not show unless I pause the show and then play again. Any episodes after that will show subs. Every other channel (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, Playstation Vue, Crackle, Etc...) installed in on the Roku shows subtitles properly.

#57 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45278 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

None of those other apps are dealing with the same type of media we are.

The fact that simply pausing and re-starting the video makes it start working tells me it is some sort of issue with the player itself as in it simply isn't recognizing what we are telling it to do until you restart it.  The thing is, I artificially paused and re-started the video in the last update to see if I could cause this manually.  I guess it didn't work.

#58 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4601 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:08 PM

@ebr are you pausing/unpause via functions, or using the roku ECP to send emulated keypresses? Using ECP this should work, using functions may not.

https://sdkdocs.roku...ypressKeyValues

Edited by speechles, 17 April 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#59 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45278 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:14 PM

I've finally been able to work with this. Not trying to switch subs just get the default ones to play. They still do not show unless I pause the show and then play again. Any episodes after that will show subs. Every other channel (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, Playstation Vue, Crackle, Etc...) installed in on the Roku shows subtitles properly.

When you get another chance, can  you please submit another log from the app so I can try and trace exactly what is happening?  Thx.

#60 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131121 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:43 AM

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

In order to get subtitles to display most of the time, I have to hit *, see if it the subtitle is selected (it usually is), then hit Okay. Then pause and restart playback. Only then will the subtitles appear. My user is set to always display subtitles.

@mediacowboy ?

@Sammy ?

@bardmaster ?

@Farfignugget ?

@Clark ?

@flcruising ?

@farside847 ?

@econ ?

@nagetech ?

@bungee91 ?

@pir8radio ?

@Jdiesel ?