Restore User Data - Emby Migration - Clarification

ashbinder

Happy2Play

How does that work if I move the file to another folder?  I'm assuming the metadata is named the same as the file, so I would just move it at the same time.

Emby would just need to run a library scan to update the database with the new location.

So to confirm my understanding, that means if I want to go down this route now (i.e. go into my library and enable saving the metadata with the media), I basically have to start my library from scratch again, right? Because everything is currently in that custom path, it's either that or manually move everything to where the media is saved, which is a pain if your library is a large collection and spread over multiple drives like mine.

If you have all the information in a custom path now and change the option to save with media, nothing changes for previous media metadata.  It only affect newly added media and everything gets stored with media.  You have to Refresh your libraries if you want all old media to have metadata with media instead of in the custom path.

• Like 1

ashbinder

Thank you!  You've been exceptionally patient with my questions and it's been helpful!  Although I wish I could have got this backup to work manually, appears I've gained some new insight into how this works.

Much appreciated!