BUG: Wrong file selected - unnecessary transcode

legallink

legallink

@@ebr and @@Luke Thanks for looking at this. I'll supply fresh logs. My most recent test shows that it isn't resolved with whatever fixes may have been applied but I'll see if testing tomorrow brings a surprise.

And yes, this is an mkv example, and I'm using that one simply because it is one of the examples that is consistent and repeatable in a contained environment.

And you are correct. There is no sync copy. I'll dive into one isolatable problem at a time. Wrong file selection was where this started but I'll tackle that another time.

Edited by legallink

Right so that means with the mkv there will always be an ffmpeg process spinning up on apple devices, no matter the bitrate setting.

legallink

@@ebr attached are fresh logs.  Hopefully they are clear/clean of the previous issue.

@@Luke I'm aware of the ffmpeg process spinning up no matter the bitrate setting.  I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why transcoding vs. just container swap, all other things being exactly equal.

The issue is still persistent in that it transcodes when it can, and if it can't it direct streams....which seems to be the opposite logic it should apply?

The bitrate streaming is set to 40mbps for both users.

I have also updated to 3.2.12, and for some reason it created duplicate log files for the transcode and remux, so I have posted both log files for thoroughness.

There is another modern family stream going on at the same time.  I apologize for that cluttering the server log.

Appreciate your time @@ebr and @@Luke.

remux 2.txt

remux 1.txt

transcode 2.txt

transcode 1.txt

server log.txt

legallink

@@Luke I see that.  Is there a reason it transcodes in one instance and direct streams in the other?  Aka, your response seems to indicate that it cannot direct stream, which it can, which is why this thread is started.

I think the issue is that the documentation we have says it shouldn't work via direct streaming but, perhaps it actually does.  The app is paying attention to what is documented to work but, when you set the server to disallow transcoding, it bypasses this decision that has been made by the app.

We can experiment with reducing some of these requirements with the caveat that we may have to re implement them if others start to have problems.

legallink

thanks @@Luke and @@ebr  So short answer, it shouldn't direct stream, but it is, so take that benefit, but don't expect it.  Appreciate diving in.

Edited by legallink