Emby Theater + MadVR black screen / refresh rate change

stettler

stettler

Hello,

I know there was already several posts on that subject in the past but I am (again) totaly unable to get automatic refresh rate change of the monitor to work correctly with ET and Madvr.

I tried various combination of ET and Madvr settings but none seems to work reliably.

Summary:

When enabling "switch to matching display mode" in MadVR and listing the available display mode, the video play with a back screen (sound but no video and no MadVR OSD displayed but MadVR running). This exact same setting work without any problem with PotPlayer or MPC-HC

When enabling "switch to matching display mode" in MadVR" and not listing any available display mode, the display rate switch correctly on the first video played only. It doesn't switch on the next video, even when playing again the exact same video. (Ie: Display rate: 1080p60 -> start to play movie: display rate change to 1080p24 -> stop movie, display rate change back to 1080p60 -> start to play again the same movie: display rate stay at 1080p60) Restarting ET is not enough to fix it. Need reboot computer (and then it will work for the fist video played again).

Detail:

ET: Enable monitor refresh rate to match video

MadVR: Enable Switch to matching display mode + list display modes madVR may switch to

Result: the display switch refresh rate and the video start playing but the screen is black. The MadVR OSD doesn't even display but Madvr is running as can seen in the icones trail by reducing the window.

Using the exact same setting in PotPlayer or MPC-HC works everytime without problem

ET: Disable monitor refresh rate to match video

MadVR: Enable Switch to matching display mode + list display modes madVR may switch to

Result: same as 1. (display refresh rate change, black screen)

MadVR: Enable Switch to matching display mode but don't list display modes

Result: Video is displayed but display refresh rate doesn't always change (for the same video!). For example, my desktop refresh rate is 60Hz. I start to play a movie, it change to 24p. I stop the movie, the display change back to 60Hz. I start again the same movie but the display rate stay at 60Hz.

Restarting ET is not enough to get it working again: I need to restart the whole computer.

MadVR: Disable Switch to matching display mode

Result: Same as 3. The display rate change correctly for the first video played but then it doesn't change anymore until computer is restarted (even if playing again the same video)

PS: When I say "black screen", I mean the video is black but the ET interface still come-up

PS: OS: Win7, GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050TI, default desktop refresh: 60Hz, Connection: HDMI, Display device refresh: 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59, 1080p60

I had similar results using Intel GPU or using a totaly different display so I kinda doubt it's coming from that. Especialy has PotPlayer and MPC-HT don't have any problems when specifying the list of display rate available in Madvr.

Edited by stettler

Still have this problem myself occasionally. I've listed a whole range of valid display modes in MadVR, and while most of the time it will change correctly, occasionally it won't, and I get the black screen problem but with audio. When it *doesn't* work, I noticed that the refresh rate does change, but there's no video. If I come back out of the playback, back to ET, the refresh rate is *still* 24hz, I then have to quit ET, and reset the refresh rate correctly in Windows, before restarting ET.

stettler

I always get the black screen (but the refresh rate change correctly) when I specify display modes in MadVR. And that happen only with ET, not with PotPlayer or MPC-HC so I am pretty sure my list is correct. (And my TV or beamer show the correct mode)

I made more tests with other settings:

On a LG 4K TV, if I enable monitor refresh rate to match video in ET and disable "switch to matching display mode" in MadVR, that seems to work correctly. If I connect the same computer to a Panasonic FHD beamer, it works for the first video played only and then it always stay at the desktop refresh rate (60Mhz)

stettler

Ok, I made more test and the problem is coming from a combination of GPU (drivers) and display device.

If, in madVR, I enable switch to matching display mode and list the display modes, I nearly always get a black screen, whatever monitor refresh rate to match video is enable or not in ET. The only setting that seems to work is to disable switch to matching display mode in madVR and enable monitor refresh rate to match video in ET.

Here is the result, using exactly the same computer. I didn't changed any setting between the tests:

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 TI (latest drivers)

Display: LG 4K TV (hdmi 2.0a)

Result: work ok

Display: Panasonic beamer FHD (hdmi 1.4)

Result: Switch only for the first video played

GPU: Intel HD Graphics from CPU

So the combination that cause problem is Win 7 + Nvidia + Panasonic beamer

I noticed that Nvidia controle center is reporting "1080i 1920x1080 (native)" even if it is set on "1080p 1920x1080". I assume that it is somehow releated to the problem. I have no idee why the Nvidia driver is reporting native for 1080i while still listing, and accepting, 1080p (which the Panasonic beamer handle fine).

I always get the black screen (but the refresh rate change correctly) when I specify display modes in MadVR. And that happen only with ET, not with PotPlayer or MPC-HC so I am pretty sure my list is correct. (And my TV or beamer show the correct mode)

I made more tests with other settings:

On a LG 4K TV, if I enable monitor refresh rate to match video in ET and disable "switch to matching display mode" in MadVR, that seems to work correctly. If I connect the same computer to a Panasonic FHD beamer, it works for the first video played only and then it always stay at the desktop refresh rate (60Mhz)

I have a Radeon 7750 with older drivers, but they've always been rock solid with MPC-HC, inc refresh rate switching. This PC is *only* using for media playback (dedicated HTPC), so it's optimised for that.  It's connected to a 4k Samsung TV. I'm going to try your suggestion to see if that helps.Worth a shot. 

swhitmore

If you're using Nvidia GFX cards, try this setting.

Go to the "Adjust desktop color settings" section and change "Content type reported to the display" from "Auto-select (recommended)" to "Desktop programs".

58c757e5278f8_NvidiaAVRHDCPFix.jpg

• 1 month later...