[Ubuntu] Downloading "missing" subtitles always takes a while

BloodyIron

BloodyIron

I'm pretty sure I've given my Emby enough passes to say with confidence I should have my subtitles for my media. But it still takes like 30+ minutes to "download missing subtitles". Something's not quite right here. Is there anything I can do about this?

Every time it will continue to check for videos that don't have subtitles, and this process requires contacting an external service which will take time.

BloodyIron

Yeah but a bunch of other scheduled tasks do too, such as Refresh People, doesn't it? (Refresh People took 55s last time it ran)

The reason I raised it is because Downloading missing subtitles seemed to be taking much longer than I would anticipate since it's scanned plenty before, at the time it was taking 20-30+min, but as I check it right now the last time took just under 6min, so I'm not sure what to say here.

Every time it will continue to check for videos that don't have subtitles, and this process requires contacting an external service which will take time.

Maybe in one instance the opensubtitles server was under heavy load so it was responding slower.

BloodyIron

Certainly likely. Should I report back if I see "long delays" more often? :)

Maybe in one instance the opensubtitles server was under heavy load so it was responding slower.

BloodyIron

Alright then! Currently it seems to be taking ~5min which... omg is just fine lol. Thanks for your support as always d00d :D

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...
BloodyIron

Hi Emby peeps (Hot Hand Luke maybe?)

Yeah, my Emby keeps taking ~35min to download subtitles, but I'm not adding new media frequently at all, so I don't know why most of the times it's taking so long.

What info should I submit to help here? Just the Emby produced server logs or what?

Other tasks can complete plenty fast, so I don't see this as a storage performance issue. Sometimes this task completes in a more reasonable timeframe. I just think something's not quite right here. Hopefully we can stamp this out, together :3

Nothing, it is probably normal. Remember that it will check open subtitles for every video that doesn't have subtitles, and it will do this every single time the task runs. My advice is adjust the schedule to have it run less often, and then you will probably not be as concerned with how long it is taking.

BloodyIron

Well I might do that, but why do we want the task to re-check videos that don't have subtitles already for it? That sounds redundant.

Nothing, it is probably normal. Remember that it will check open subtitles for every video that doesn't have subtitles, and it will do this every single time the task runs. My advice is adjust the schedule to have it run less often, and then you will probably not be as concerned with how long it is taking.

The last time we optimized the task to not recheck videos, that drew complaints from a different set of users. I will let @@heula explain this.

BloodyIron

Hmmm, curious.

The last time we optimized the task to not recheck videos, that drew complaints from a different set of users. I will let @@heula explain this.

@@heula can chime in, but the answer is that people upload subtitles to open subtitles all the time, and users want to be able to get the new subtitles.

heula

People can upload there finisht (Dutch) subtitles att all time. I have set mine to interval every hour to check for new subtitles so when new subtitles are uploaded it only takes maximum a hour to have them.

Before it did check previous checked videos after 7 days I thought. That was not exeptible for me so I asked Luke to bring it back to as it was and that is working like a charm for me.

It doesn't butter me how long this process takes because I don't notice it. I just see my new subtitles available from time to time.