Second try with Emby - hints, questions and enhancement request

Motorradfahrer

Motorradfahrer

Hi,

I made during the last weeks a second try if Emby could be interesting for me because I am using two Raspberry Pi with LibreElec/Kodi. I have used for that test a indipendent third Kodi installation at Windows.

It was easy to add my music library with mp3 files based on complete CD's but I need a while until my Singles are displayed in the wanted way. Instead of organizing them with aphabetical folders  I have now one single folder for them to get them displayed with Emby the way like I expect it.

I was disappointed that movie sets are not imported from the nfo files because I did spend a lot of time in the past to organize the Kodi database with my movies describtions to get them displayed all in German language and have a common scheme for the names of the movie sets as well and did edit all of the imported movie set names from IMDB. I was during my tests able to import new movie sets with the help of the Emby plugin Auto Box Sets but need to modifiy again many names of the movies sets  to have a common scheme. I don't know if Emby just ignore existig movie sets at existing Kodi nfo files at import or is not aware of the new naming conventions. Please have as well a look at my TMM thread at kodi.tv http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=292734

I mention this because I have noticed Emby does update existing nfo files at access following the old naming conventions regarding movie sets. TMM is after my hints updated and now able to import movie sets following the old and the new naming conventions. I would like to see Emby does it make easier for users and import movie sets as well.

I am still not satisfied regarding movies which exist only at DVD or Bluray and are added with help of dummy files at the database. For example "96 Hours (2008).bluray.disc" or "Atomic Train (1999).dvd.disc".

Emby does import them well at the database and display at Emby server a message to use the disk when I try to start those files but when I do the same at the Kodi client I get a message that the file does not exist and the question if I want to remove it from the database which is nonsense.

To allow you a better picture of the situation, I am using at the Emby Kodi addon the settings for using smb and the native paths at Kodi 17. Emby is installed at a Synology NAS.

djhifi

Regarding media files besides physical disks, I don't see any enhancement requests but rather some inexperience on your behalf, which is totally normal, since you're new to this software:

1 - EDIT: Regarding physical disks try to use instead "96 Hours (2008)".

1.1 If it still doesn't work, have you considered makinfg those encodes yourself, in order to pass them to your digital library? It's so much easier. That or finding them elsewhere (even easier). These are 2 workarounds, ofc, but you would never have to grab those DVDs again. And in my opinion cuts you so much time :)

1.2 For the rest of the digital collection use as a folder name the same convention as above and "96 Hours (2008),mkv/avi/mp4/whatever" as filenames.

2 - Still regarding digital collection, dont import nfo's. EMBY server doesnt deserve trash outputs from bad softwares such as TMM. Seriously man, just dump right now any form of media manager besides EMBY if you really want to fully adopt it. EMBY is centralized on EVERYTHING. And by doing that dumpage, you will save yourself loads of time, if not now, surely in the future.

After that and after the correct rename of your entire collection (honestly it should always have been named as in number 1), run a library sync. Dont forget to choose if you want nfo files stored locally or central -> I use mine centrally because locally is not also bad for your HDDs lifetime as well as for your KODI cache.

The scrape wont catch them all correctly, but if I was able to have over 5000 movies 100% right in my actual database, you surely can with yours as well.

3 - If you would like to display in your kodi skin which files are HDTV, BLURAYS, WEBDL's etc, you actually can (depending on the skin). The best of them is AEON MQ7 and all you have to do is rename the folder (and only the folder) of the movie like this: "96 Hours (2008) - WEB" or "- BLURAY" etc etc. So, this has nothing to do with either server or addon app's.

4 - You wont have any problem in movie sets after you made points 1 and 2 (dont forget that movie year and name have to match themoviedb API - it always had anyway-). Also, if you want movie set scraping, enable it server side prior to scanning the collection and after installing box sets.

5- Dont place movies from collections inside a single folder but instead create individual folders (named accordingly to point 1)

6 - I use the exact same structure you do (emby server on a synology and 3 emby/kodi machines) and I have ZERO problems with all the stuff youve written.

Write me back if you need further assistance.

I have used a lot of systems since 2010 when I initiated myself onto the NAS and media streaming stuff. Until Ive found EMBY :) Settle with it. Its the very best you will find anytime soon.

PS: I refrained from helping on the music part as I dont use it and never did.

Edited by djhifi

Emby Tower

@djhifi:

1) He's talking about integrating physical discs into the library (no ISOs)! His wish is to get a prompt to insert the disc he want to play. Emby Server itself is able to do this and also Kodi itself, but Emby via Kodi says that there is nothing and wants to delete the entry!

djhifi

@djhifi:

1) He's talking about integrating physical discs into the library (no ISOs)! His wish is to get a prompt to insert the disc he want to play. Emby Server itself is able to do this and also Kodi itself, but Emby via Kodi says that there is nothing and wants to delete the entry!

OK, my bad I think then. By the way I wasn't mentioning ISO's as well, I don't have any. I have actual vídeo files (over 5k of them). But I got it now.

I wasn't aware it wasn't supported in the Addon, altough the user might be better off finding those encodes elsewhere or making them.

I just don't use physical disks anymore (either BD or DVD) so I was really unaware of such problem with the addon. I always thought it worked.

Altough he could try to edit the dummy files to the naming conventions I've suggested anyway.

Motorradfahrer

@XBMC Workstation

Thank you very much for helping to explain the remaining issue.

@djhifi

using the extensions .bluray.disc and .dvd.disc is following the Kodi naming conventions and the reason why Kodi itself and Emby server are asking for the physical disk:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Media_stubs

When I remove for a test the extension as you have proposed ("96 Hours (2008)") both does no longer detect the offline media. I already have encoded a couple of DVD but encoding BD is not an option for me because of the size even if it would be more comfortable..

Based on my tests the issue is related to the Emby Kodi addon and should be ideally fixed there..