On Debian Jessie with latest updates Emby process does no stop gracefully

Charlo

Charlo
Hello,

using the latest versions (if I mistake not from 3.2 onwards) of Emby on Debian Jessie, if I use the command "systemctl stop emby-server" Emby does not stop gracefully and "Main" process remains alive.

The only way to stop Emby is killing the process with the "kill" command.

This problem is related to how systemd stops the processes and probably in the last updates you have been changed the start script "/usr/bin/emby-server" or systemd unit configuration file "/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service".

Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you for your wonderful work.

Carlo

gstuartj

It works fine for me. I also run on Debian Jessie with the latest updates. No leftover processes.

Edited by gstuartj

Charlo

Hi, can you please provide the emby server log? You can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks !

Ok luke,
this is my setup:
Debian Jessie (OpenMediaVault 3)

I installed Emby via the apt package manager from your default repository from which it was also installed mono.

FFMPEG installed from the repositories of Debian backport Jessie (current version 3.2.4).

The file system permissions are configured correctly.

Data Directory is located in its default location "/ var / lib / emby-server".

Outside the lan emby can be reached via nginx configured as proxy with ssl certificate issued from letsencrypt.

This morning I tried removing and reinstalling Emby with the commands "apt-get purge emby-server", "reboot" and "apt-get install emby-server" but I have not solved; Emby always remains running.

I attach the following files:
- Last Emby log;
- The output of the command "pstree" before and after execution of the command "systemctl stop emby-server";
- the output of "systemctl -l status emby-server" before and after execution of the command "systemctl stop emby-server".

From the output of pstree please note that before "systemctl stop emby-server" "Main" process is regularly under "su" process.
After after attempting to stop, "Main" process is directly connected to "systemd" process at top of the list.A very strange thing.
Seems like systemd stops only the main process "su" but not the sub-processes that become orphans and remain active.

Thanks for any help
Carlo

server-63624131992.txt

pstree_pre_systemctl_stop_cmd.txt

pstree_post_systemctl_stop_cmd.txt

systemd_log_status_pre_stop_emby-server.txt

systemd_log_status_post_stop_emby-server.txt

Edited by Charlo

CBers

Might be worth posting the output from

ps -ef before and after the systemctl command.

Charlo

Is that a rogue ffmpeg process still running?

There are no orphans FFMPEG processes.

Emby works perfectly and when a transcoding or remux are required, FFMPEG processes are opened and then closed regularly.

The log files and output of the commands I have attached before, were created by me after restarting the system without any user online.

Carlo

Charlo

Probably I have found the cause of the problem.

I have performed tests on my virtual machine in which is installed the same OS (Debian Jessie - OpenMediaVault 3) with the same and identical configuration that I have on the production server from where I extrapolated the log file and outputs of commands sent before.

The only difference with my production server is that the apt packages of the official Debian repositories were updated two months ago.

I installed Emby from scratch on this virtual machine and the command "systemctl stop emby-server" runs properly stopping regularly all Emby processes.

The problem with the stop of Emby processes happens after I updated, on virtual machine, following Debian packages from the official repositories to latest official versions (released about a week ago) with the command "apt-get upgrade":

bind9-host

libbind9-90

libdns-export100

libdns100

libirs-export91

libisc-export95

libisc95

libisccc90

libisccfg-export90

libisccfg90

liblwres90

linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86

linux-libc-dev

login

passwd

I can assume that the problem is due to upgrades of packages "login" or "passwd" that cause some interference with Emby systemd configuration or its startup script "/usr/bin/emby-server".

For safety, I tried to simulate the same procedure on another virtual machine with Debian desktop.

THE PROBLEM SHOWS UP AGAIN AS SOON AS I INSTALL THE ABOVE UPDATES via "apt-get upgrade".

So probably the problem will present itself on any Debian Jessie system as soon above packages will be updated!

Indeed, please note that the output of "systemctl -l status emby-server" (that I enclose again) after the execution of the command "stop systemctl emby-server" present at line 10 a strange error that could be logically related to the problem:

"March 03 10:47:18 carlo to [987]: + ??? root: emby"

It might help if someone that has installed Emby on Debian Jessie can test if the problem exists after an upgrade of packages with command "apt-get upgrade."

I attach following files:

- output of command "apt-get upgrade" of updated packages;

- output of command "apt-cache policy <UPDATE PACKAGES>" to see new version number of updated packages.

Probably is needed to check the compatibility of the boot routine of Emby (systemd unit file or the use of "su" in Emby script) with this particular official update packages.

I hope that now the situation is more clearer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carlo

apt-get_upgrade.txt

apt-get_upgrade.txt

systemd_log_status_post_stop_emby-server.txt

Edited by Charlo

gstuartj

Could this be an OpenMediaVault specific problem? I haven't experienced it on regular, vanilla Debian.

As a workaround I suggest you try installing the Docker plugin for OpenMediaVault, then installing the Docker version of Emby. It will keep Emby separate from the rest of your OpenMediaVault system and will probably avoid this issue. You'll also get the stability & security benefits that come with running the service in a separate container.

Charlo

Could this be an OpenMediaVault specific problem? I haven't experienced it on regular, vanilla Debian.

As a workaround I suggest you try installing the Docker plugin for OpenMediaVault, then installing the Docker version of Emby. It will keep Emby separate from the rest of your OpenMediaVault system and will probably avoid this issue. You'll also get the stability & security benefits that come with running the service in a separate container.

Hello,
according to my tests this morning, the problem should not be related to OpenMediaVault.
As written earlier, after detecting the problem on my physical server, I tried Emby either on OpenMediaVault VM or on a just installed Debian genuine desktop VM.
The problem is always presented in both cases as soon as you update the system with the mentioned packages.

With further analysis I did today, I think with a good chance, that this problem is caused by the updating of "login" package passed to version 4.2-3+deb8u3 about one or two weeks ago.

"Login" package just contains the Debian's "essentials" executables as "login" and "su" which is particulary used by the Emby start-up script.

More datails:

With my tests, I can guarantee that before the update I have never had any issues regarding abnormal shutdown of Emby processes.

To test my theory, I invite all of the users of Emby installed on Debian Jessie OS to update the system with "apt-get upgrade", and to check if the malfunction of abnormal shutdown comes out.

Hoping to find a solution, thank you
Carlo
Edited by Charlo

• 1 month later...
Animosity022

I don't have an upgraded system, but the stop command doesn't shutdown at all for me.

I was searching for a proper shutdown command other than just killing out the processes.

root@plex:~# systemctl status emby-server
● emby-server.service - Emby Media Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2017-04-05 18:33:33 EDT; 13s ago
  Process: 4865 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 5124 (su)
   CGroup: /system.slice/emby-server.service
           ‣ 5124 su -s /bin/sh -c umask $0; exec "$1" "$@" emby -- 002 env MAGICK_HOME=/usr/lib/emby-server MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu/EmbyMagi...

Apr 05 18:33:33 plex systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
Apr 05 18:33:33 plex su[5124]: Successful su for emby by root
Apr 05 18:33:33 plex su[5124]: + ??? root:emby
Apr 05 18:33:33 plex su[5124]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby by (uid=0)
root@plex:~#
root@plex:~# systemctl stop emby-server
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2017-04-05 18:33:51 EDT; 3s ago
  Process: 5278 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 5124 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start (code=exited, status=223)
 Main PID: 5124 (code=exited, status=223)

Apr 05 18:33:33 plex su[5124]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby by (uid=0)
Apr 05 18:33:51 plex systemd[1]: Stopping Emby Media Server...
Apr 05 18:33:51 plex systemd[1]: emby-server.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=223/n/a
Apr 05 18:33:51 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Emby Media Server.
Apr 05 18:33:51 plex systemd[1]: Unit emby-server.service entered failed state.
root@plex:~# ps -ef | grep emby
emby      5143     1  0 18:33 ?        00:00:00 /lib/systemd/systemd --user
emby      5145  5143  0 18:33 ?        00:00:00 (sd-pam)
emby      5147     1  8 18:33 ?        00:00:02 /usr/bin/mono-sgen --optimize=all /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
root      5345  1359  0 18:34 pts/2    00:00:00 grep emby

I just shut it down from the GUI and then it starts up without a problem.

Charlo

I don't have an upgraded system, but the stop command doesn't shutdown at all for me.

I was searching for a proper shutdown command other than just killing out the processes.

Active: active (running) since Wed 2017-04-05 18:33:33 EDT; 13s ago
  Process: 4865 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 5124 (su)
   CGroup: /system.slice/emby-server.service
           ‣ 5124 su -s /bin/sh -c umask $0; exec "$1" "$@" emby -- 002 env MAGICK_HOME=/usr/lib/emby-server MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu/EmbyMagi...

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2017-04-05 18:33:51 EDT; 3s ago
  Process: 5278 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 5124 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start (code=exited, status=223)
 Main PID: 5124 (code=exited, status=223)

Apr 05 18:33:51 plex systemd[1]: Stopping Emby Media Server...
Apr 05 18:33:51 plex systemd[1]: emby-server.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=223/n/a
Apr 05 18:33:51 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Emby Media Server.
Apr 05 18:33:51 plex systemd[1]: Unit emby-server.service entered failed state.
emby      5143     1  0 18:33 ?        00:00:00 /lib/systemd/systemd --user
emby      5145  5143  0 18:33 ?        00:00:00 (sd-pam)
emby      5147     1  8 18:33 ?        00:00:02 /usr/bin/mono-sgen --optimize=all /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
root      5345  1359  0 18:34 pts/2    00:00:00 grep emby

I just shut it down from the GUI and then it starts up without a problem.

Hello,
After a long analysis, I solved the problem by removing (or by commenting) the line:

session optional pam_systemd.so

in file:

/etc/pam.d/common-session

Comparing the above file with the original version shipped in Debian Jessie, it seems "probably" a modification made from an old version of OpenMediaVault installer.
The option interferes with PAM authentication that is used by the executable "su" which is used in Emby startup and shutdown script.

Now, when I stop service, it always return error in systemd the log:

"Unit emby-server.service entered failed state."

but at least the demon stops properly and does not restart by itself.

With this, I hope I have helped you.

Animosity022

Nice find!

That does seem to stop the server and it remains failed for me as well. 

I can confirm after that it seems stopped and I think I see the same error that you do.

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2017-04-06 07:39:50 EDT; 4s ago
  Process: 6805 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 4066 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start (code=exited, status=160)
 Main PID: 4066 (code=exited, status=160)

Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager. Duration: 2.6E-05 seconds
Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup
Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup. Duration: 0.003739 seconds
Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding
Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding. Duration: 5E-06 seconds
Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, All entry points have started
Apr 06 07:39:50 plex systemd[1]: Stopping Emby Media Server...
Apr 06 07:39:50 plex systemd[1]: emby-server.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=160/n/a
Apr 06 07:39:50 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Emby Media Server.
Apr 06 07:39:50 plex systemd[1]: Unit emby-server.service entered failed state.

Charlo

Nice find!

That does seem to stop the server and it remains failed for me as well. 

I can confirm after that it seems stopped and I think I see the same error that you do.

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2017-04-06 07:39:50 EDT; 4s ago
  Process: 6805 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 4066 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start (code=exited, status=160)
 Main PID: 4066 (code=exited, status=160)

Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager. Duration: 2.6E-05 seconds
Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup
Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup. Duration: 0.003739 seconds
Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding
Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding. Duration: 5E-06 seconds
Apr 06 07:38:28 plex emby-server[4066]: Info, App, All entry points have started
Apr 06 07:39:50 plex systemd[1]: Stopping Emby Media Server...
Apr 06 07:39:50 plex systemd[1]: emby-server.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=160/n/a
Apr 06 07:39:50 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Emby Media Server.
Apr 06 07:39:50 plex systemd[1]: Unit emby-server.service entered failed state.
Yes, yours is the same situation.
I get the error but the demon stops properly.

Animosity022

It seems that the shutdown of the server by using the child pid of the running process causes the main process to exit out with a bad return code:

root@plex:~# systemctl status emby
● emby.service - Emby
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/emby.service; disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-04-06 09:21:56 EDT; 2min 49s ago
 Main PID: 31806 (su)
   CGroup: /system.slice/emby.service
           ├─31806 su -s /bin/sh -c umask $0; exec "$1" "$@" emby -- 002 env MAGICK_HOME=/usr/lib/emby-server MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH=/u...
           └─31824 /usr/bin/mono-sgen --optimize=all /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-ser...

Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManagerEntryPoint. Duration: 0.003...seconds
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: ...seconds
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager. Duration: 2.7E-05 seconds
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup. Duration: 0....seconds
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding. Du...seconds
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, All entry points have started
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
root@plex:~# pgrep -P 31806
root@plex:~# kill 31824
root     32266 27149  0 09:23 pts/1    00:00:00 vi emby-server
root     32732 27058  0 09:25 pts/0    00:00:00 grep emby
● emby.service - Emby
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2017-04-06 09:25:33 EDT; 11s ago
  Process: 31806 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start (code=exited, status=143)
 Main PID: 31806 (code=exited, status=143)

Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager. Duration: 2.7E-05 seconds
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup. Duration: 0....seconds
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding. Du...seconds
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, All entry points have started
Apr 06 09:25:33 plex su[31806]: pam_unix(su:session): session closed for user emby
Apr 06 09:25:33 plex systemd[1]: emby.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=143/n/a
Apr 06 09:25:33 plex systemd[1]: Unit emby.service entered failed state.

I just made a simple systemd script to play around with and it starts and stops it, but ends in failed state just like the included script.

[Unit]
Description=Emby
After=syslog.target network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start
TimeoutStopSec=20
Restart=on-abnormal
GuessMainPID=no
KilLMode=control-group

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Charlo

It seems that the shutdown of the server by using the child pid of the running process causes the main process to exit out with a bad return code:

● emby.service - Emby
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-04-06 09:21:56 EDT; 2min 49s ago
 Main PID: 31806 (su)
           ├─31806 su -s /bin/sh -c umask $0; exec "$1" "$@" emby -- 002 env MAGICK_HOME=/usr/lib/emby-server MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH=/u...
           └─31824 /usr/bin/mono-sgen --optimize=all /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-ser...

Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManagerEntryPoint. Duration: 0.003...seconds
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint
Apr 06 09:21:59 plex emby-server[31806]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: ...seconds
root@plex:~# pgrep -P 31806
root@plex:~# kill 31824
root     32266 27149  0 09:23 pts/1    00:00:00 vi emby-server
root     32732 27058  0 09:25 pts/0    00:00:00 grep emby
● emby.service - Emby
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2017-04-06 09:25:33 EDT; 11s ago
  Process: 31806 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start (code=exited, status=143)
 Main PID: 31806 (code=exited, status=143)

Apr 06 09:25:33 plex su[31806]: pam_unix(su:session): session closed for user emby
Apr 06 09:25:33 plex systemd[1]: emby.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=143/n/a
Apr 06 09:25:33 plex systemd[1]: Unit emby.service entered failed state.

I just made a simple systemd script to play around with and it starts and stops it, but ends in failed state just like the included script.

[Unit]
Description=Emby

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start
TimeoutStopSec=20
Restart=on-abnormal
GuessMainPID=no
KilLMode=control-group

[Install]
The problem could be in the script "/usr/bin/emby-server" and its use of executable "su" that interacts with mono runtime.

In first lines of the script is specified that it was modified for CentOS/Fedora and I suppose that was adopted also in Debian, probably without any further changes

Different versions or configurations of systemd and PAM Auth in two OS may be the cause of the problem.

Unfortunately I do not have much time to carry out further tests.

I look forward to other ideas about it.
Edited by Charlo

Animosity022

I put together just a rough systemd script that works with start and stop status. I would need to pretty it up but this seems to work ok.

emby.service script

[Unit]
Description=Emby
RequiresMountsFor=/media

[Service]
User=emby
Group=emby
Environment=MAGICK_HOME=/usr/lib/emby-server
Environment=MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu/EmbyMagick-6.9.6/modules-Q8/filters
Environment=MAGICK_CODER_MODULE_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu/EmbyMagick-6.9.6/modules-Q8/coders
Environment=MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=500
Environment=MONO_GC_PARAMS=nursery-size=512m
Environment=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mono-sgen --optimize=all /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
TimeoutStopSec=20
Restart=on-failure
GuessMainPID=no

[Install]

Environment is passed:

root@plex:~# strings -a /proc/3345/environ
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
HOME=/var/lib/emby-server
LOGNAME=emby
USER=emby
SHELL=/bin/false
MAGICK_HOME=/usr/lib/emby-server
MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu/EmbyMagick-6.9.6/modules-Q8/filters
MAGICK_CODER_MODULE_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu/EmbyMagick-6.9.6/modules-Q8/coders
MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=500
MONO_GC_PARAMS=nursery-size=512m
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu

Output looks like:

root@plex:/etc/systemd/system# systemctl status emby
● emby.service - Emby
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/emby.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-04-06 14:07:39 EDT; 1min 25s ago
 Main PID: 3345 (mono-sgen)
           └─3345 /usr/bin/mono-sgen --optimize=all /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-serv...

Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManagerEntryPoint. Duration: 0.005496 seconds
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: 8.... seconds
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager. Duration: 2.7E-05 seconds
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup. Duration: 0.00... seconds
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding. Dura... seconds
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, All entry points have started
root@plex:/etc/systemd/system#

And on a shutdown, it seems to close out everything properly with a kill.

root@plex:~# systemctl stop emby
● emby.service - Emby
   Active: inactive (dead) since Thu 2017-04-06 14:07:25 EDT; 2s ago
  Process: 30469 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mono-sgen --optimize=all /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh (code=killed, signal=TERM)
 Main PID: 30469 (code=killed, signal=TERM)

Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: 0... seconds
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager. Duration: 3E-05 seconds
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup. Duration: 0.0... seconds
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding. Dur... seconds
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, All entry points have started
Apr 06 14:07:25 plex systemd[1]: Stopping Emby...
Apr 06 14:07:25 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Emby.
Edited by Animosity022

Charlo

I put together just a rough systemd script that works with start and stop status. I would need to pretty it up but this seems to work ok.

emby.service script

[Unit]
Description=Emby
RequiresMountsFor=/media

[Service]
User=emby
Group=emby
Environment=MAGICK_HOME=/usr/lib/emby-server
Environment=MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu/EmbyMagick-6.9.6/modules-Q8/filters
Environment=MAGICK_CODER_MODULE_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu/EmbyMagick-6.9.6/modules-Q8/coders
Environment=MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=500
Environment=MONO_GC_PARAMS=nursery-size=512m
Environment=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mono-sgen --optimize=all /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
TimeoutStopSec=20
Restart=on-failure
GuessMainPID=no

[Install]

Environment is passed:

root@plex:~# strings -a /proc/3345/environ
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
HOME=/var/lib/emby-server
LOGNAME=emby
USER=emby
SHELL=/bin/false
MAGICK_HOME=/usr/lib/emby-server
MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu/EmbyMagick-6.9.6/modules-Q8/filters
MAGICK_CODER_MODULE_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu/EmbyMagick-6.9.6/modules-Q8/coders
MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=500
MONO_GC_PARAMS=nursery-size=512m
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu

Output looks like:

root@plex:/etc/systemd/system# systemctl status emby
● emby.service - Emby
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-04-06 14:07:39 EDT; 1min 25s ago
 Main PID: 3345 (mono-sgen)
           └─3345 /usr/bin/mono-sgen --optimize=all /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-serv...

Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManagerEntryPoint. Duration: 0.005496 seconds
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: 8.... seconds
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager. Duration: 2.7E-05 seconds
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup. Duration: 0.00... seconds
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding. Dura... seconds
Apr 06 14:07:41 plex mono-sgen[3345]: Info, App, All entry points have started
root@plex:/etc/systemd/system#

And on a shutdown, it seems to close out everything properly with a kill.

root@plex:~# systemctl stop emby
● emby.service - Emby
   Active: inactive (dead) since Thu 2017-04-06 14:07:25 EDT; 2s ago
  Process: 30469 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mono-sgen --optimize=all /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh (code=killed, signal=TERM)
 Main PID: 30469 (code=killed, signal=TERM)

Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: 0... seconds
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Security.PluginSecurityManager. Duration: 3E-05 seconds
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitorStartup. Duration: 0.0... seconds
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Starting entry point Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Core.EntryPoints.ExternalPortForwarding. Dur... seconds
Apr 06 14:06:04 plex mono-sgen[30469]: Info, App, All entry points have started
Apr 06 14:07:25 plex systemd[1]: Stopping Emby...
Apr 06 14:07:25 plex systemd[1]: Stopped Emby.
WOW that's nice.

The statup script of official Emby deb package completely ported to systemd unit file...REALLY A GREAT JOB

Thanks Animosity022.

In the coming days I will test on both my installations of Emby to check how it works.

At first glance I think that is better to remove the line:

RequiresMountsFor=/media

It is usually best to generalize configuration so its installation can be applied to all Debian derivatives.

The mounting point of the external devices varies from distribution to distribution.
For example in OpenMediaVault, after latest updates (one week ago), default mountpoint folder is no longer "/media" but "/srv".

I hope that after test phase this new systemd unit file will be included in the official Emby deb package.

Thanks
Carlo

Animosity022

Ah nice.

Yeah for me "/media" is my Amazon Cloud Drive so I want to make sure that before the server starts up, I have my mount point so my library doesn't get hosed and need a deeper rescan. 

That definitely can come out and to make it nicer, it should probably be a nice file to read in, but I wanted to make sure it works before I cleaned it up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
geaves

@@Charlo @@Animosity022

I just might have a similar issue although I'm running OMV 2 which is Debian Wheezy, whilst I can so some within the OS when it comes to something such as this thread it's a bit beyond me. If I were to replace that script what am I replacing and where and where? That part I can manage  :)

Charlo

@@Charlo @@Animosity022

I just might have a similar issue although I'm running OMV 2 which is Debian Wheezy, whilst I can so some within the OS when it comes to something such as this thread it's a bit beyond me. If I were to replace that script what am I replacing and where and where? That part I can manage :)

Debian wheeze does not use systemd but the old init.d.

This solution is valid for Debian Jessie with systemd and higher.

I advise you to update the OS.

geaves

Debian wheeze does not use systemd but the old init.d.

This solution is valid for Debian Jessie with systemd and higher.

I advise you to update the OS.

Ah!! Thanks, the more I ask the more I learn :) as I installed omv rather than Debian to upgrade the OS I would have to move to omv v3 then?

Charlo

Direct upgrade from OMV 2 to OMV 3 is not well supported.

Is better to reistall from scratch entire OS OMV 3.

In it's forum you Can find step by step guides.