Emby Server - Implement daily usage time limit. - Parent Control (?)

bric

I was searching to see if this was implemented and this comment encapsulated my idea fairly well.

I enjoy being able to control during which hours viewing can occur each day. I would now like to take that to the next level by defining how much time can be spent.

Ideally, it should track the time videos are playing (difference between when they start/stop) and not simply the length of the video(s).

I wonder if this type of control has been considered.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3

• 6 months later...
BAlGaInTl

Maybe it could be done if someone would write a plugin?

What type of device are you considering blocking?

It might be a better idea to get a robust router that properly supports those kinds of things.

• 1 year later...
doug.dimick

I'd also like to see this, similar to Screen Time. For example, I provide a 6-hour window during which my kid can use Emby, but I definitely don't want them using it for all six hours. Baseline functionality there would be a new field on the user Parental Control screen where one could define a maximum minutes of usage per day. Any device used by that user would count against the time quota, and playback would stop when the quota is reached.

The suggestion to do this at the router is interesting, but not practical to implement. A router doesn't have any knowledge of how many minutes of playback have occurred.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
Jbbrack03

I'll throw in my vote for this too. Right now I have to restrict the entire Emby App on my daughter's phone via Screen Time so that she doesn't watch it non-stop. It would be nice to be able to put a time limit on each category. If this was implemented I would put a limit on TV/Movies while leaving Audiobooks unrestricted.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
realbout

This feature is sooo much needed.

In my case not only for videos but also for audiobooks. Simply, for all types of media is a daily use-time limit very usefull. 

Please add it to emby - this would be awesome!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
feerlessleadr

Adding my vote for this as well. This would be a killer feature for emby and really useful for my kids. 

• 9 months later...