Drive pooling

Guest asrequested

CBers

EDIT: I just thought of a valid reason to have drive letters assigned.

You may want to add something big to your pool, and you know you have a drive that's 90% free, so you click open that drive, then drop your big files in the funky folder (called PoolPart...blablablabla). Content is instantly pooled, but you did get the opportunity to choose in which specific drive.

Else you drop your files in the pool drive and then its the software that decides in which drive it actually writes

Not recommended by DriveBender, but as you're using DrivePool................

Can you not have a landing zone disc in DrivePool?

CharleyVarrick

I wouldn't know, and I dont have a SSD to spare for this purpose, but I was referring more to drive balancing, which can be fully automatic, or manual, or somewhere in between.

Happy2Play

In all fairness, they don't need to have letters assigned, it works both ways.

As with many things in life, I think I prefer to have a choice, but that's just me.

But again, I would be really worried if I had many users (or just one other for that matter) playing with those drives and folders

EDIT: I just thought of a valid reason to have drive letters assigned.

You may want to add something big to your pool, and you know you have a drive that's 90% free, so you click open that drive, then drop your big files in the funky folder (called PoolPart...blablablabla). Content is instantly pooled, but you did get the opportunity to choose in which specific drive.

Else you drop your files in the pool drive and then its the software that decides in which drive it actually writes 

Having a drive with 90% free space, the odds are all data will go directly to that drive until balancing happens or it has the same amount of free space as the other drives.

Not recommended by DriveBender, but as you're using DrivePool................

I have a large drive that half the drive is in the pool and half outside the pool as Computer Backups don't really like being spread across the pool.

CharleyVarrick

Having a drive with 90% free space, the odds are all data will go directly to that drive until balancing happens or it has the same amount of free space as the other drives.

Definitely, buts its nice to have manual control too. You might want to do your own manual balancing, I always prefer to have more options than less...

I just figured how balancing works in DP, quite intricate and smart and personalize-able to your heart's content.

I have a large drive that half the drive is in the pool and half outside the pool as Computer Backups don't really like being spread across the pool.

Why? Isn't it just another drive (albeit a huge one) to your backup software? 

Happy2Play

Why? Isn't it just another drive (albeit a huge one) to your backup software? 

Never really dug into it but OS backups would get corrupted spread across multiple discs.

CharleyVarrick

Update: I've been using DrivePool (along with Scanner) for 10 days and I have to say I'm impressed as its been rock steady reliable for me. Works out of the box, easy to figure out (intuitive), I have 3 weeks left to my trial period, and they're making it hard to say thanks but no thanks.

I might just want to throw DrivePool a little curve and see how it reacts. I'm gonna shutdown that server and physically remove a hdd. Then fire it back up again and see how it handles a "disk gone south"...

Swynol

I recently did the remove a drive trial. The pool informs me there's a drive missing, it then goes into read only mode. If you have the files duplicated then all will be read only.

As long as the drive goes back into the same bay it all goes back to normal after drivepool does a check on all drives and data. Took about an hour for me 30TB pool.

If the drive goes back into another bay, drivepool fails to see it. I had to assign the missing drive a drive letter before drivepool would see its new location. Once DP did it's checks I was able to remove the drive letter again.

PenkethBoy

by moving the disk location it gets a new address so DP sees it as a new drive - not sure why you would need to give it a new drive letter before it sees it though - did it not appear in the drive list at all?

CharleyVarrick

If the drive goes back into another bay, drivepool fails to see it. I had to assign the missing drive a drive letter before drivepool would see its new location. Once DP did it's checks I was able to remove the drive letter again.

@@Swynol

I was following you just fine up to this. What do you mean by "another bay"? To me, bay is just the exact physical location within a computer, why would it even care about that? If I replace the drive gone south with a new drive to the same pool, I should be alright, no?

I noticed Stablebit Scanner has an info column "Bay", but mine show all blanks.

I have a desktop, not one of those rack things like Norco RPC-4224 for instance, those kind do work in "rows of hdd", don't they?

Edited by jlr19

Swynol

by moving the disk location it gets a new address so DP sees it as a new drive - not sure why you would need to give it a new drive letter before it sees it though - did it not appear in the drive list at all?

ye thats right. i thought DP only looked for the poolpart folder. if i dont assign the drive a letter then DP just says that drive is missing, i tried a re-measure and nothing. As soon as i give it a letter and re-measure DP sees it fine.

Swynol

@@Swynol

I was following you just fine up to this. What do you mean by "another bay"? To me, bay is just the exact physical location within a computer, why would it even care about that? If I replace the drive gone south with a new drive to the same pool, I should be alright, no?

I noticed Stablebit Scanner has an info column "Bay", but mine show all blanks.

I have a desktop, not one of those rack things like Norco RPC-4224 for instance, those kind do work in "rows of hdd", don't they?

ye sorry to confuse things. on my machine i have 20 hot swap bays. so if i take the drive out of bay 1 and put it back into bay 5 (or any other bay) then DP says the drive is missing even though it isnt. The only way i can get DP to see the change is by assigning it a drive letter, re-measure with DP and then remove the drive letter. if you are removing a bad drive and installing a new drive it doesnt matter. this will only affect if you are moving one good drive from one bay to another. Same would happen if you moved it from one sata connector to a different one.

i recently swapped out 3 bad drives for 3 new drives. very easy to do. I put the new drive in and added to the pool. then clicked remove on the old drive. DP took around 2 hours maybe slightly longer to remove all the data from my duff 3TB to my shiny new 4TB hdd. 

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

I was wondering about this "Bay" column, which, on my system, remains blank. In yours, it does show bay number.

I wish I could add column "s/n"

593bf0204c38a_Capture.png

I was wondering about this "Bay" column, which, on my system, remains blank. In yours, it does show bay number.

I wish I could add column "s/n"

593bf0204c38a_Capture.png

I think it has to do with the controller. Some controllers don't output the s/n resulting in just a drive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: could also be a standard controller driver? Check if you have the actual controller driver.

Edited by PVTD

Happy2Play

Bay requires a little manual intervention labeling your disks (at least for me).  Number should actually be the Windows disk number.  And only way to see s/n is to go into disk details.  A little more manual work your could use custom name and add s/n to name.

593bfba925ec8_scanner.jpg

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

@@PVTD

In DrivePool, when I hover on a disk, I do see its s/n.

@@Happy2Play

I didn't even know you could right click them drivres, but I still think s/n should be one of the available option (without right-clicking).

But your workaround idea to rename a drive from its default name to its s/n is ingenious, so thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

102F outside, the inside walls of my apartment are warm to the touch, and my hard drives are paying the price :/

594726f5f1ee5_Untitled.png

Swynol

ouch that is hot. it was around 30c where i live yesterday, my hotest drive was 41c, coolest was 31c. a big difference between the SAS drives and normal 5400rpm SATA drives.

Guest asrequested

At 30C outside, I can run the fans at 60%, but at 39C, the fans are at 100% with the above result. I'll have to see what I can do about that.

• 2 weeks later...
nagetech

Just wanted to chime in....

I was using Drive Bender for years, but over the last month have migrated over to Drive Pool. Drive Bender did great for me for many years, but as of late, I just feel it has been buggy for me :( Every new release didn't fix my previous issues and introduced new ones.

I was very sad to see it go :(

But will say Drive Pool is Amazing. I do love its simpler interface & overall find it easier to use. Also I noticed a speed gain!

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Out of curiosity has anyone that has moved to pooled drives noticed if Library Scans are fast that non-pooled systems?

I have always been on pooled drives (local to server) and it has always been relatively fast.

I guess the other part of that question would be is a local pool scan faster then a remote scan?

Guest asrequested

Out of curiosity has anyone that has moved to pooled drives noticed if Library Scans are fast that non-pooled systems?

I have always been on pooled drives (local to server) and it has always been relatively fast.

I guess the other part of that question would be is a local pool scan faster then a remote scan?

I think that's going to be a tough comparison, as there have been improvements made in the server, over time. You'd really need two separate systems with the same data and hardware, and run simultaneous scans, with the same internet connection. Damn it! I want to try that. Sounds like fun :D

Happy2Play

Average scans for my pooled servers, both servers use Stablebits Drive Pool.  All data is local on both servers.

Beta Server

595c3048c9653_small.jpg

Stable Server

595c303e19ce6_large.jpg

PenkethBoy

is the difference down to the speed of the cpu's - intel vs AMD (old!) :)

Guest asrequested

Average scans for my pooled servers, both servers use Stablebits Drive Pool.  All data is local on both servers.

Beta Server

595c3048c9653_small.jpg

Stable Server

595c303e19ce6_large.jpg

Mine only takes 1:06, but I have much less data. I also have three separate pools.

Edited by Doofus