Drive pooling

Guest asrequested

CBers

I think we would have needed at least 3 support tickets actually, there were that many things that didn't work as expected.

1) After install, DB didn't show any of my drives. The only way it would is having to use the wizard

2) DB kept creating a 2nd mount point for one of the source drive

3) We were never able to have the 2 drives actually "merge", one was always beside the pool instead of inside it

If you can check to see if you have any *.SIL files in the C:\ProgramData\Division-M\Drive Bender\Logs folder, can you then raise a Support Ticket using your description above and attach the *.SIL files please.

I assume it was v2.6 that you used ??

It's only just released, so it's possible there's a bug in it.

I had run DB under Windows 7 since it was first released, so it's not an OS issue.

Thanks.

• Like 1

CBers

Yes he was using 2.6

Are you running that ??

I'm still on 2.5.

mediacowboy

Yes. I am running 2.6 on both of my machines and no issues.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

If you can check to see if you have any *.SIL files in the C:\ProgramData\Division-M\Drive Bender\Logs folder, can you then raise a Support Ticket using your description above and attach the *.SIL files please.

Thanks.

Sorry CBers, I've uninstalled it. At this point in time, I stopped beating the dead horse.

I really would have liked it to work out. First time I tried it (by myself), I think I was this close to make it work, but then it litterally went bonkers on me.

Last evening, when I saw how often MediaCowboy was baffled by unexpected turn of events, it seemed like it went from bad to worse, which made me think: OK I screwed up 1st time around, obviously didn't knew what I was doing, but now, 2nd time around with a very capable and experienced Mediacowboy at the wheel, no more luck, hmmm. 

Again, I am not implying its inferior to DrivePool, it just didn't want to play nice with my system, period.

And I reinstalled DP by myself a 2nd time and got it up and running within 10 mins max.

C'est la vie

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

An hour ago Mr Postman delivered the IOCrest 4 Port SATA III PCIe 2.0 X 1 Controller Cards I was waiting for. I installed one of them in my backup "B" server, Windows found the driver and just asked a reboot.

I then connected one of my spare WD 6TB blue, then the big drumroll moment: I fired up DrivePool, it listed the latest drive as available, then I hit "add" and about 3 seconds later, saw my pool drive going from 16.4TB/75% usage to 21.8TB/55% used. Of course it'll take a while for the software to balance it out.

I'm really thrilled at how well it went, and I need to thank all that answered my endless noob questions for weeks, and help me in all kind of way to gain confidence in tackling this project. Heck I didn't even knew Drive pooling software existed 1 month ago. Special thanks to @@CBers and x-tra special heartfelt thanks to @@mediacowboy for trying their darndest to help me join the dark side [:lol:] with DB.

I just have to repeat the same steps on my prod "A" server, and then its phase II: create a 2nd pool for my tv shows and add another drive for them.

Cheers!

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Advice needed from all drive poolers of all allegiance:

The only drawback I have seen so far is Windows searching is expectedly much slower from a pool then from a single hard drive.

Do you guys leave Windows Indexing service running (last checkbox in drive properties)?

I am of the Blackviper (Windows Services expert) school of thought, that is I leave it unchecked on all my machines/disk properties. 

59301309b82f4_1.png

CBers

Advice needed from all drive poolers of all allegiance:

The only drawback I have seen so far is Windows searching is expectedly much slower from a pool then from a single hard drive.

It will be, as it has to enumerate all drives content into 1 list.

CharleyVarrick

It will be, as it has to enumerate all drives content into 1 list.

Obviously, but I seem to experience more than my fair share. If I search 1 6TB drives and results are in within say, 10 seconds, should I expect search results from a pooled drive (4x6TB) to require 4x10secs (around 40 secs). My search results now seem to take 2 or 3 minutes, hence my question about Windows Indexing Service. 

Happy2Play

I added the pool drive letter to windows indexing.

But I guess it depends on your setup also.  Are all you drive exposed with drive letters or hidden and only showing pool drive?

Are you searching the pool drive or a global search from My Computer?

PenkethBoy

i have all indexing turned off for all the pool drives - reason being that when you access the pool via a shared drive - windows search indexing slows down the creation of new folders/renaming

i do not see any slowdown (maybe i'm not used to fast searches) in searching via windows explorer - i only usually search for *.fileext though e.g. *.xml - pulls back over 4 thousand files from numerous sub directories across a 18+ HDD pool in 20-25 seconds

CharleyVarrick

I added the pool drive letter to windows indexing.

But I guess it depends on your setup also.  Are all you drive exposed with drive letters or hidden and only showing pool drive?

Are you searching the pool drive or a global search from My Computer?

Yes, all my drives are visible

This is one of the big difference I noticed between DP and DB, in the later, the original drive disappear (because the drive letter is removed)

And yes also to 2nd question, I am now searching the pool, as the software as begun to balance data.

Before pooling, my movie drives where divided by era (drive "P" held movies from 1900-1990, drive "M" held movies from 1991-2000, etc etc)

Since I setup the pool, I dump newly aquired content in DrivePool "D" and the pool software decides in which physical drive it actually puts it. 

I should point out that my issue is when I search and expect thousands of results, eg: *.mp4; it can take up to 5 minutes, and sometime more, until its done.

If I search an actual movie name, the result come in pretty quick.

CharleyVarrick

I have 4x6TB disks full of movies that I merged into a DrivePool.

when I search for *.mp4 (or *.avi), I get results from any of the 4 drives and also from the pool (thousands of hits)

when I search for *.mkv,  I get results from any of the 4 drives, but none at all from the pool

???

Edited by jlr19

CBers

Remove the drive letters of the individual drives, so you just have the mountpoint drive letter.

CharleyVarrick

Hi @@CBers

I just did that and also rebooted, no difference.

This has to be a WIndows vs .mkv issue, as it performs as expected with .mp4 and .avi, but not with .mkv

I went into Ctrl Panel, Indexing Options, Advanced, File type, oddly enough, .mkv was not listed, (even though I have a ton of those, file association is fine (to MPC HC), in any case I added .mkv to the list and rebooted to no avail

Edited by jlr19

CBers

Remove the drive letters of the individual drives, so you just have the mountpoint drive letter.

If you have your drives accessible via their own drive letters, then changes can be made that the pool isn't aware of, leading to inconsistencies.

CharleyVarrick

Actually, I believe its another difference between DP and DB. 

In Drive Pool, you can have content within AND without the pool on a same drive. Everything that's not within the funky-named folder is considered outside the pool.

That's why as soon as I realize the problem was with Windows and not DP, I've re-assigned letters to those drives, otherwise I can't access anything that's not in the special pool folder. Not that there's much, just a few loose files that don't belong anywhere else really.

If I would have half a dozen person playing in those drives and folder, it could be worrisome, but I'm the only one here that touches this stuff, so...

The weekend is upon us.

Cheers! :P

CBers

otherwise I can't access anything that's not in the special pool folder.

That's just plain stupid, not you, but for Drive Pool to allow parts of a disk to be left out of the pool.

Having to have letters assigned to disks that should be hidden, is crazy.

Each to their own though.

Good luck :)

Swynol

you can also use mount points rather than letters. it looks neater and you can still have access to each individual drive if needed. Then just have a letter assigned to your Pool5931adafe02a1_Untitled.jpg

CharleyVarrick

In all fairness, they don't need to have letters assigned, it works both ways.

As with many things in life, I think I prefer to have a choice, but that's just me.

But again, I would be really worried if I had many users (or just one other for that matter) playing with those drives and folders

EDIT: I just thought of a valid reason to have drive letters assigned.

You may want to add something big to your pool, and you know you have a drive that's 90% free, so you click open that drive, then drop your big files in the funky folder (called PoolPart...blablablabla). Content is instantly pooled, but you did get the opportunity to choose in which specific drive.

Else you drop your files in the pool drive and then its the software that decides in which drive it actually writes 

Edited by jlr19