Streamlining my server. Upgrading thoughts, and what do you use for multiple rooms in your home?

Jack Burton

Guest asrequested

Does transcoding live TV use similar server resources as transcoding movies already on the server? Or is it more intensive? Less intensive? Looking to implement live tv soon and trying to figure out what I'll need.

Transcoding recorded live TV is predetermined. You have no control of those settings. Playback transcoding is based on bandwidth, player capability etc. So that will vary. When recording, it's also done in real time. While playback (depending on your settings) will transcode to a buffer, so it'll work a bit harder so you won't get lag or drop out.

zigzagtshirt

Transcoding recorded live TV is predetermined. You have no control of those settings. Playback transcoding is based on bandwidth, player capability etc. So that will vary. When recording, it's also done in real time. While playback (depending on your settings) will transcode to a buffer, so it'll work a bit harder so you won't get lag or drop out.

Very helpful, thanks.

Perhaps one more question you can help me with:

I'm looking to set up HDHomerun prime to have my cable tv available through Emby.  I've seen videos on YouTube of the comparable set up on Plex, and the channel changing seems to lag and is very slow.  Does slow channel changing happen with Emby?  Seems like that would drive me crazy.

Guest asrequested

Very helpful, thanks.

Perhaps one more question you can help me with:

I'm looking to set up HDHomerun prime to have my cable tv available through Emby. I've seen videos on YouTube of the comparable set up on Plex, and the channel changing seems to lag and is very slow. Does slow channel changing happen with Emby? Seems like that would drive me crazy.

I have no experience with Plex, so maybe you can explain your definition of slow changing? I have two primes, and to change channel, I have to go back to the guide. I'm sure this is on Luke's radar for future development.

zigzagtshirt

I have no experience with Plex, so maybe you can explain your definition of slow changing? I have two primes, and to change channel, I have to go back to the guide. I'm sure this is on Luke's radar for future development.

Just found this other thread:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44362-channel-changing-too-slow/?hl=%2Bslow+%2Bchannel

When I say slow channel changing, I mean when you change the channel is takes many seconds to load the steam.  Seems like it takes longer on some clients vs others.

MSattler

Interesting. Any wireless AC recommendations?

If you are willing to spend the money, Ubiquiti.

Never have looked back once.  Running a Ubiquiti Security Gateway and 2 AC-Pro AP's.

Run the controller software in a VM.  My in-laws have the same setup and I run the controller on a rpi2.

MSattler

This deal expired, but comes up every now and then:

https://slickdeals.net/f/9797151-dell-xps-8900-desktop-i7-6700-8gb-ddr4-1tb-hdd-gt-730-2gb-win-7-600-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

i7-6700

8GB of memory, more than enough to start.

Video card you don't need since you will use the Intel HD built in gpu for hardware/gpu transcoding.

$600.

I have the same version with the i7-6600, threw in 32GB of ram, and it has been running non stop.  I did also make the primary drives 2 Raid 1 SSD's.

Guest asrequested

Just found this other thread:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44362-channel-changing-too-slow/?hl=%2Bslow+%2Bchannel

When I say slow channel changing, I mean when you change the channel is takes many seconds to load the steam. Seems like it takes longer on some clients vs others.

I think some of that will be dependent on the devices and network. Using my HTPC, when I start a show, it starts in a second or two. What are you intending to play on?

I think you should probably reserve live TV playback questions for those threads. Mr. Jack Burton's thread is somewhat unrelated.