Unable to find ffmpeg, however it is there!

dcook

thatoneguy99

Hmmm. I have that on a laptop. Going to see if I can get the same error on it. My working emby server is on Ubuntu.

Sent from my phone!

Can I see the entire portion of the log where you configured on the transcoding screen. Or the entire log from that session. We need to learn if Emby server is able to launch it at all or not due to execute rights.

thatoneguy99

I just installed Emby on my CentOS 7 laptop and I didn't have any problems. I am attaching my log for Luke to compare. I will also post the link I used to install FFMPEG. Went fairly smoothly for me. Here is my log and I will be back with the rest of the install information.

server-63622856490.txt

I restarted the server a few times, so that was a different log file.

I tried to attach the actual log files to the post, but it won't let me, seems to only allow image attachments.

It doesn't contain the portion from post #7 though.

Andy777

Nevermind I found the attachment option at the bottom of the browser!

Here are all the emby log files!

In

http://"your emby server internal address"::8096/web/encodingsettings.html

you can specify ffmpeg options.Apparently you didn't do so as the log shows ffmpeg is not found.

BR,

Abdy777

Andy, that is what I am trying to do.

The setup wizard never completes as it wont move past that step, and there is no option to skip like there is for live tv.

It would appear unable to be unable to execute

2017-02-16 16:58:53.8288 Info MediaEncoder: Attempting to update encoder path to /root/ffmpeg. pathType: Custom
2017-02-16 16:58:53.8288 Info MediaEncoder: Running /root/ffmpeg/ffmpeg -version
2017-02-16 16:58:53.8325 Error MediaEncoder: Error validating encoder
        *** Error Report ***
        Version: 3.2.1.0
        Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
        Operating system: Unix 3.10.0.514
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        Mono: 4.6.2 (Stable 4.6.2.7/08fd525 Tue Nov 29 22:31:42 UTC 2016)
        Processor count: 1
        Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server
        Application directory: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin
        System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): ApplicationName='/root/ffmpeg/ffmpeg', CommandLine='-version', CurrentDirectory='', Native error= Out of memory
          at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo) [0x001ee] in <bd46d4d4f7964dfa9beea098499ab597>:0
        System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
          at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo) [0x001ee] in <bd46d4d4f7964dfa9beea098499ab597>:0

Luke it has execute permissions. I tried leaving it in /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg and also tried from /root/ffmpeg

I can execute from the commmand line fine with the same user account that emby is using.

thatoneguy99

Should I assume that you will not be trying my links? Are you not keen to the idea of deleting and reinstalling FFMPEG using the link I posted? Or the Emby server install for that matter?

I tried that version as well.

@@Luke is there a way to make it skip the setup wizard?

Also you said it appears to unable to execute I don't see that in the log at all.  It has the correct permissions and I can execute via command line fine.

The error in the log says:  System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): ApplicationName='/root/ffmpeg/ffmpeg', CommandLine='-version', CurrentDirectory='', Native error= Out of memory

What does Out of Memory error mean?

kjp4756

It looks like you are running in a virtual machine.  How much ram have you allocated?  There was a thread a long time ago about someone who had some weird issues and it was because they had something like 256MB allocated to their emby vm.  Just a thought.

It is a VM, and has 1GB of ram, I could see maybe having issues with trans-coding multiple streams, however all I am trying to do is complete the setup wizard and it won't go past that step, keeps insisting that ffmpeg can't be found when it is most definitely there.

kjp4756

I'm not sure if 1GB would be enough.  Mono itself is a big memory hog.

EDIT: The emby process on my ubuntu server is using 1.25GB of RAM and it's not doing anything.

Edited by kjp4756

@@Luke

I just installed a new VM and increased memory from 1Gb to 3GB

I then installed Emby and ffmpeg exactly the same way as before and the setup wizard completed fine.

My suggestions:

1) Correct the error that is displayed during the setup wizard, as it was indicating that it could not find ffmpeg even though it was there, and in the log file it then stated it need 3.0 or higher which it was.

Would be more useful if the error actually displayed the reason for the failure, in this case if it had said "out of memory" right away I would have built a new VM with more memory instead of wasting hours trying to get Emby to detect that ffmpeg was actually installed.

2) Update the minimum requirements for Emby on Linux obviously 1GB Ram is not enough to even complete the Emby Setup Wizard, as seen by the "Out of Memory" error in the log

I don't know what else it would be then, it was clean Centos image, and the log file said Out of Memory, as soon as I bumped the memory the setup wizard completed.

Do you want me to build another vm with less memory and try again?

We have tested it though so I think there is possibly more to this story than we're seeing at the moment.

kjp4756

I set up a ubuntu 16.04.2 64 bit virtual machine on esxi 6u2 (nested in vmware fusion).  2 vcpus, 512MB ram.  I had no problems with completing the setup wizard.  I downloaded the daily ffmpeg version from the link in the wizard and extracted it in /var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg.  

I did the same thing with Centos 7 and the wizard won't complete.

Also using the ffmpeg from the link in the wizard.

I can try it again tomorrow

I set up a ubuntu 16.04.2 64 bit virtual machine on esxi 6u2 (nested in vmware fusion).  2 vcpus, 512MB ram.  I had no problems with completing the setup wizard.  I downloaded the daily ffmpeg version from the link in the wizard and extracted it in /var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg.