Sync transcoding vs live transcoding settings

zigzagtshirt

zigzagtshirt

From what I understand, whatever Qf and encoding speed settings that are selected in the transcoding admin page are used by both sync transcoding and live transcoding (correct me if I'm wrong). Would there be a way to separate them? I like to transcode my movies over night with the sync option using the slowest setting, but that setting is way too slow for live transcoding.

Also, why aren't there any options for sound setting for transcoding? Would be great to have some control over the sound for my sync transcoding. I do understand that the main point of sync is to easily transcode into compatible formats. Could there be some more granular settings behind the scenes apart from the ease of use defaults?

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding anything.

zigzagtshirt

Bitrate most importantly, and (less importantly) formats.  When I use Sync to transcode my full quality blu-ray rips, the quality is consistent with what I would expect from the selected settings, but it looks like the audio has a bit rate of 192 kbit/s (I think this is the bitrate; I don't have it in front of me right now). I assume this is the same bitrate that's used for live transcoding.  So we get great video from this, but the audio is pretty weak.  Good enough for headphone use, but not so much for home theater sound.  

I have some users who frequently watch over the internet and stream to a home theater, so I need to compress the blu-ray rips down to a more friendly bitrate (either by using Sync to transcode, or let them live transcode while watching).  Emby Sync is incredibly convenient for this and makes it really easy.  The only downside is the audio.  My workaround for this is to compress them with Handbrake so I can have more control of the sound, but it's more of a pain and there are so many more steps involved.  I really like being able to hit that sync button in Emby and just let it go. 

Being able to select the audio quality/bitrate in the settings, or keeping original audio track while still transcoding video, would be great.

Edited by tsherran

@, can you give an example, perhaps with the sync transcoding log? because when the total bitrate is over a certain amount we should be going beyond 192k. thanks.

zigzagtshirt

@@Luke

Attached is the transcoding log after creating a sync transcoding job.  I selected profile = General; quality = High; sync to local folder.

In the server transcoding settings I have h264 encoding CRF = 18; preset = very slow

Am I doing something wrong here that is making the audio only 192 kbit/s?  I must be missing something...

Source file is a full BR rip with DTS-HD MA audio.

log_2-16-2017.txt

Edited by tsherran

ok, i see the issue. for this video, the media probe did not determine an audio bitrate so we gave it the default of 192000 when transcoding. we'll be a little smarter and bump that up depending on the audio channel count. thanks.

zigzagtshirt

ok, i see the issue. for this video, the media probe did not determine an audio bitrate so we gave it the default of 192000 when transcoding. we'll be a little smarter and bump that up depending on the audio channel count. thanks.

Looks like the media probe never grabs a bitrate for any of my DTS-HD MA content (or Doly TrueHD).  I guess this is probably due to the fact that they are variable bit rate.  I suppose you would need the probe to do some math to find the average bitrate.

DTS-HD MA has a core track of 1500 kb/s I believe.  The high def track sits on top of that and is variable bitrate.

As for one of my original questions, could selecting a bitrate for the audio be an option when creating a sync job (or for live transcoding)?

Thanks, Luke!