Live TV Automatically Jumping Backwards

tpchristian

Jdiesel

I am excited to test the new beta server out as I have been having issues with playing jumping back for a while now. I never noticed this happening on the web app, only the Roku app. Will report back when I've had a chance to test.

How do you define lock up? In other words, what led you to that conclusion?

tpchristian

Good question -- should have been more descriptive as that is pretty vague.  Let me describe actually a few different situations.

1) I press play to play the episode.  It goes full screen and get the loading icon.  I wait for maybe 60 seconds and nothing ever shows up.  I can use the back button in the application, but that is about it.

2) I use one of the transport controls, e.g. forward button, and it will not play again.  I don't know if it would start playing eventually, but I would say that I wait 30-60 seconds.  I can hit the back button and I will resume it and it will usually play again from where it left off.  This is the example I ran into above.

2a) Same as above, except it will begin to play again after a few seconds.

EDIT: 3)  I've had it "lock up" :) a couple times watching live TV as well.  All of sudden the picture will freeze.  None of the transport controls respond and neither does the transport slider.  All I can do is go back.

As you might image the above gets a little frustrating, so I thought why not go to the directory and try playing them with another player.  I can play these files without the issues above with both WMP and VLC.  When I press the forward button that can be a very slight delay of 1 second or less -- not instantaneous, but not bad.

EDIT: I haven't run into the original skipping back issue, but I think I have run into the lockup on live TV so it may not have run long enough to run into one of these areas.

I don't know if I am might not be recalling something you are interested in for the behavior.  Let me know if there is something else you are curious about and I can make a mental note of it in the future.

Edited by tpchristian

You're mentioning files and live tv so it sounds like we're mixing two different scenarios. Which of these apply strictly to live tv?

tpchristian

OK.  I guess live TV is used in two contexts, the live tv set of functionality as available from the home page "live TV" option and really watching TV live.  Many of the scenarios above were talking about watching a show that was previously recorded from TV.  I started this thread with an issue while watching TV live and it would spontaneous skip back, I think always while it was playing a commercial.  I have been trying to reproduce that issue with this latest beta version.  I haven't been able to so far, but have run into a new problem where the picture freezes and none of the transport control do anything -- only option is back button.

Jdiesel

I just found out that I can pick between two different formats with my live tv provider. The default is http protocol in a HLS container which often skips back and buffers on the Roku client. I just switched over to rtmp in a live_flv container and everything works great on the Roku client now. Not sure why the latest Roku beta struggles with the HTTP protocol but I am happy that my live tv is working again. I only experience the skipping back on the Roku app and not the web or android client.

Edited by Jdiesel

I just found out that I can pick between two different formats with my live tv provider. The default is http protocol in a HLS container which often skips back and buffers on the Roku client. I just switched over to rtmp in a live_flv container and everything works great on the Roku client now. Not sure why the latest Roku beta struggles with the HTTP protocol but I am happy that my live tv is working again. I only experience the skipping back on the Roku app and not the web or android client.

Do you still see that now?

Jdiesel

Do you still see that now?

Yes I just tested it about an hour ago on the latest version of the beta server. I will try reverting back to the HTTP protocol to see if I experience the skipping again.

tpchristian

I have to take back a comment I made earlier.  I did see a problem in playing back a recorded show (.ts file) with WMP.  It was doing automatically skipping back.  Again, this seemed to happen during a commercial.  This recording was done with the Emby live tv functionality.  I guess I didn't see this earlier because I tend to jump over the commercials most of the time.