Live TV Automatically Jumping Backwards

tpchristian

tpchristian

I am having an issue where I am watching live TV (no a recorded show) and at a point it will spontaneously just back in time in the recording.  I have observed this on many channels.  If I am watching a program long enough, it seems to always happen.  I could be remembering wrong, but it seems that there is a pattern where this happens during a commercial.  What happens is that I have to manually get it to get back to where it left off.  Again, could be remembering wrong, but I believe that once I moved it forward to approximately the point where it skipped back and it did it again.

I am on the beta because I had been working on a different issue.  I think that this has happened for a while now and may have been happening before the I move to beta as well.  Current version is 3.2.1.103.

uploaded ffmpeg log, but server log was too big.  I know you prefer not to, but I included just then end of the file from the last hour or so.

EDIT:  I should mention that I am using HDHR prime tuner.

ffmpeg-remux-9403ea95-fe07-471e-b726-fe05995df5be.txt

server-63622454400 - Copy.txt

Edited by tpchristian

Jdiesel

I notice this sometimes when I start playing a live channel. It usually plays for approximately 1 minute the jumps back to the point where I first started the stream and will play fine after that.

blade005

I have seen this as well, but only when the Live TV stream is being transcoded for a client that can not Direct Play the Live TV stream. I assumed it was trying to jumping back to try and create enough of a buffer to have an uninterrupted streaming experience.

tpchristian

For mine, it is not after the first minute.  I would have watched a show, for example, for 30 minutes.  It might then jump back 15 minutes.  (Just approximations to give a sense)

On my dashboard for the client is says "Direct Streaming" as well.

Edited by tpchristian

tpchristian

I'm at a spot in a show right now, during commercial, where I use the skip forward button a few times and it gets to a point where it does this spontaneous skip back so I can just keep hitting skip forward and it goes in a loop.  I had to click on the slider to get past it.

tpchristian

This is happening consistently as long as I have a channel playing for a while (say, >30 minutes).  It seems like this is always doing this spontaneous skip-back during the playing of commercials.  I don't know if there is something in them that could be triggering this.

tpchristian

I continue to see it make this back jump during commercials.  Again, only when watching live tv, not watching recorded shows that are completed.  The jump point often goes back to the same spot from when it hits the same spot.  One more interesting phenomenon is that sometimes that jump back spot will change.  I noticed that at one point it kept jump back a smaller and smaller distance and eventually locked up.  I have noticed that when I had it running in the background hidden/muted I would come back and it would often be frozen.  No way to get the live tv going again until I go back and start it over.  I think that this spontaneous jump back issues causes that eventual lockup.

tpchristian

Luke, you may want to check out this thread on an issues that is different, but may have some relation...

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44899-av-sync-issue-playing-live-tv/&do=findComment&comment=420523

This A/V sync issue is happening on Android TV and I don't have this with the web client, but curiously might both be related to commercials.

tpchristian

I'm not sure I am understanding.  I should look for an option that will embed VLC into Emby or you are saying to use VLC instead of Emby?

EDIT:  If this is a setting somewhere, can you point me in the right page where that is set?

Edited by tpchristian

In settings at the bottom go right to the bottom of settings and tick direct play and underneath it use vlc. You also have to install vlc. Fixed it for me

In settings at the bottom go right to the bottom of settings and tick direct play and underneath it use vlc. You also have to install vlc. Fixed it for me

If you are talking about the Android TV app, you do not need to install VLC.

tpchristian

If you are talking about the Android TV app, you do not need to install VLC.

For this particular issue on this thread, it is happening to me on windows/chrome.

This issue on the the other thread about audio sync, it was with Android TV.

• 3 weeks later...
tpchristian

I'm also getting this on the new nvidia shield

It happening to me in Roku.

Just to make sure which issue are you guys seeing.  Automatically skipping back in time or audio sync issue or both?  Curious to know if this seems to happen during commercials for you?

BigSteve84

I have experienced both on separate machines, the audio being out of sync on Windows 10 pc and skipping backwards on my nvidia shield

Please try the latest beta server and let us know if the issue is experienced there. thanks.

I use Emby theatre though?

The issue is not restricted to any particular app.  Thanks.

tpchristian

I have been on the beta for a while.  I have stopped using Emby for Live TV because of these problems.  I had to go back to WMC for the time being.  As a matter of fact I had bought two HDHR prime tuners, but I haven't connected the second yet.  I am happy to test/help in any way that I can to get Live TV functionality working for me.  This functionality is key for me making use of Emby.  I just bring this up so that you understand that it will be helpful to give me a heads-up when there is a change that you would like me to test because I am not running this on a daily basis.

I've only tried watching live tv once so far, (will continue), but I had hit pause for a while.  I resumed fine.  I hit pause later, but then when I tried to hit play nothing happened.  None of the transport controls were responsive.  I ended up having to use the back arrow and start the live TV broadcast again.  Beyond it locking up that caused me to lose my buffer on the show I was watching so missed things -- so two consequences to that issue.  I will continue to try for a longer period to see if the skipping back is resolved.  I didn't get that far with this first test.

I have continue to try to use the system for recording shows.  When I hit the transport controls it will sometimes smoothly and instantaneously skip.  Sometimes after I hit a transport control, it will lock up.  Sometimes that is just for about 5-10 seconds.  Sometime, it will stick for a long time.  Then, my only choice is to use the back button and press resume.  Since it does seem that many of the problems relate to commercials, (interesting audio differences noted by ebr),  I have been trying to click on the slider to guess how far to skip over the commercial.  That does seem a little better, but difficult to do.  All of the above was in the Chrome browser version.  I will try to get some test in with Android TV as well.

I don't know how unique these issues are with live tv.  If there are any system settings that you think I need to check, I am happy to do so.  One that I've always wondered about is the h/w encoding setting.  I have it set to Intel Quick Sync.  I set that because my video is running from internal Intel video h/w.  I am not sure how to know what the best setting is for this or how it could affect issues I am seeing.  Just so you know, I don't have it set to convert recording afterwards.  Since sometimes, but not often, start watching a show while it is still recording, I didn't know if that made sense to convert it.

-Tom