Krypton not reporting play status to server

Letters

hstamas

That's an over exaggeration isn't it.

I'm not having issues playing stuff and seeing it reported in the server dashboard.

You just need to use a different way to initiate playback than what you're doing, unless you're saying that no matter what method you use, it's still not reporting?

I don't use widgets in the skin I use (Titan for Krypton). I just start playback from the Next Episode list, or navigate to what I want to play.

i really don't think its an exaggeration at all. Consider that a stock setup of Kodi 17 uses these widgets out of the box and these widgets don't work properly with Emby for Kodi. Anyone trying Emby out for the first time is going to be pretty frustrated that their watched status is completely out of sync. 

Even a workaround using Trakt like @@Tension113 points out doesn't work.

If you look at the thread that asked what client you use with Emby, I believe the lions share of users are using an Emby/Kodi combination. Seem like a pretty significant problem to me?

Edited by hstamas

hstamas

So @@hstamas, which skin are you using ??

Does it still not work in the default (Estuary) skin ??

It does not work with default Esturay no. I thought maybe it was skin related but after my reinstall I stuck with just default everything and if its a widget on the home screen it does not report. Part of the issue that has been mentioned before and is not helping keep this a clear cut problem is the fact that if you go into a library node and start playing something then stop -  come back out to your home screen and start playing it again via a widget - It DOES report to back to the server.

Edited by hstamas

agentxan

I was looking at this on my machines using the default skin estuary, no addons besides emby and from what I could see using addon playback mode the id is found when using either http streaming or smb direct access. I assume emby finds the id from the plugin url. This is when using the home screen widgets like recently added movies and from the library views. The server shows that the file is playing and when it is finished the file is marked as watched on the playing machine and the other kodi machines.

When using native playback mode with smb shares if I try to play the file from the homescreen widgets the item id is not included. If I go into any of the library views to play the item it does include the id.

I was looking at the code for PlexForKodiAddon and it seems they had them same problem of the kodi 17 widgets not reporting the id of the item. They seem to worked around this by getting the current playing file and looking it up in the kodi video database to get the id and the type of media. I used their code for when the id is not included to look up the kodi_id and it seems to work. The playing items shows up on the server as playing and when finished it sends the watched status to the server to update other clients I do not know much python so some else probably needs to look at it to see if it actually works and does not break anything else.

If anyone wants to look at it.

https://github.com/agentxan/plugin.video.emby/commit/7f0d03753127fc139cb3c040699fd1e5b7443fcf

https://github.com/agentxan/plugin.video.emby/tree/widgetplayback

Edited by agentxan
  • Like 3

Tension113

Yay, This works!  :D  Thank you for sharing...

Tested on a few files and the server shows it's playing and watched status is being set..  Good detective work :)

xnappo

This is nice work @@agentxan and much appreciated.  Good thinking to look at the new Plex code.

I see no reason not to merge this as it is in place of a fail branch anyway.

@ (it has been a while since I have done a release :) )?

https://github.com/agentxan/plugin.video.emby/commit/7f0d03753127fc139cb3c040699fd1e5b7443fcf

Edited by xnappo

hstamas

This is nice work @@agentxan and much appreciated.  Good thinking to look at the new Plex code.

I see no reason not to merge this as it is in place of a fail branch anyway.

@ (it has been a while since I have done a release :) )?

@@xnappo / @, any idea if this has been merged with the the files that installs via the Emby repo? Since Im still doing a lot of testing with Emby I am reinstalling a lot and would like to not have to install the repo version then have to overwrite it with this fixed file all the time.

Thanks!

Edited by hstamas

hstamas

The fix has been working for me consistently and doesn't appear to have broken anything. I haven't been using Emby as my main player as I'm still in a testing stage (considering transitioning from Plex for various reasons). I am actually going to put it into real time use tonight so I can certainly report back.

hstamas

Is this fixed on GIT yet? Sorry but I don't really understand "GIT speak". There is an error at the bottom of this issues conversation thread on GIT so Im assuming its not fixed.

Im surprised more people are not complaining about this? I believe the largest user group is the combo of Emby and Kodi and unless you don't use home screen widgets what so ever this issue should be popping up for most people.

elsker

hoping this gets fixed soon too, used to almost exclusively play from the widgets before I setup emby now I am using remote play to tide me by but will be nice to be able to use widgets again. :) 

xnappo

@@marcelveldt is going to review the fix.

It doesn't happen in the skin I use.  (Aeon Nox variant)

@@hstamas the pull request failed a lint check because you didn't declare variables (I think).  But that is easy to fix.  The bigger question is whether it will interfere with other skins widgets (which is why I want marcel to look at it) and less importantly whether we have some DB methods already in place to make the code more compact.

Edited by xnappo

Tension113

Weird.. I was having the issue with every skin I tried.. Including Aeon Nox Silvo..  

All has been well since I applied Agentxans fix though.. 

hstamas

@@marcelveldt is going to review the fix.

It doesn't happen in the skin I use.  (Aeon Nox variant)

@@hstamas the pull request failed a lint check because you didn't declare variables (I think).  But that is easy to fix.  The bigger question is whether it will interfere with other skins widgets (which is why I want marcel to look at it) and less importantly whether we have some DB methods already in place to make the code more compact.

Thanks for the info. If you could keep us posted that would be great.

FYI, I wasnt the one who put in the pull request (would have no idea how). I believe it was @@agentxan.

Edited by hstamas

Kodi_Newcomer

Can i try to change the addon for myself, or should i wait, until emby addon is updated with this fix. The most Time i play my epsiodes from Home Widget on Titan and i recognize the same issue.

elsker

Would somebody be able to kindly explain how we use agentxan's posted fix as this bug hasn't been fixed in kodi 17.1 and it sounds like it will be a long time if ever that a fix is applied in the emby plugin when you look at githuib.

Do we just copy these files over the existing plugin or install them as a zip file through kodi?

Thank you for your response in advance!

Tension113

He only changed one file.. kodimonitor.py

It's just a matter of downloading it from Github and sticking it in the addons/plugin.video.emby/resources/lib folder..

• Like 2

elsker

He only changed one file.. kodimonitor.py

It's just a matter of downloading it from Github and sticking it in the addons/plugin.video.emby/resources/lib folder..

Thank you! Worked perfectly.

Edited by elsker

Angelblue05

@ yes. The dbid is already part of the plugin path and this info needs to be loaded for kodi to link back to the database entry. You also need to specify the media type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk