Duplicated music artists appearing now

cw-kid

RaxPower

deadmau5 (Correct naming of artist etc) - \\Server\Music\deadmau5

Deadmau5 (Incorrect naming, possibly in the past) - \\Server\ImagesByName\metadata\artists\Deadmau5

Second folder is where i have pointed emby to in the configuration (for items like studios/people) - \\Server\ImagesByName

"Save artwork and metadata into media folders" is checked for the music metadata library

What is also weird is all the track listings appear identical for both artists (and I can play them with no issues)

See below for a sample of the artist.nfo (the duplicate one has been recreated since i deleted it)

58bb3fe864c31_embyartistissue01.png

banderson1311

That's exactly what I've been seeing as well.  Even after I correct the tags and directory names the entries in metadata/artist continue to be created and the duplicates appear in the library.  

It looks like it must do some case insensitive matching in the library when assigning tracks to the artist (so both entries are linked to the same tracks).  I've found that if I change the Title for the duplicate value it breaks that link and I no longer see the entry.  It's a bit of a hack but it's served as a decent workaround until this is fixed.

• 1 year later...
cw-kid

I was probably too hasty in removing that switch. It will be added back, thanks.

So as of today on Emby Server 4.0.2.0 I am still having problems with duplicate music album artists, that I can't get rid of, as described in this thread. 

Its my understanding that today Emby does not / can not store metadata in Artists folders where your mp3 files are stored, even if there is an artist.nfo file present.

This setting <EnableSimpleArtistDetection>true</EnableSimpleArtistDetection> in the system.xml file, I've just checked my file and its not present. 

@@Luke what relevance if any does this setting have today in relation to the duplicated artist problem ? 

Thanks

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

That's exactly what I've been seeing as well.  Even after I correct the tags and directory names the entries in metadata/artist continue to be created and the duplicates appear in the library.  

It looks like it must do some case insensitive matching in the library when assigning tracks to the artist (so both entries are linked to the same tracks).  I've found that if I change the Title for the duplicate value it breaks that link and I no longer see the entry.  It's a bit of a hack but it's served as a decent workaround until this is fixed.

I just tried this I think, if I understand what was meant. 

I have two artists for Björk one entry points to this folder:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\artists\Björk

And the other entry points to this folder:

D:\ServerFolders\Music\Björk

The one that looks at the folder on the C: drive shows two albums under it.

The other one that looks at the D: drive has all the other Björk albums listed, why this is I have no idea. 

I edited the metadata in the Emby web GUI for the C: drive one and changed its title name to 123. 

This just then lists that entry as 123 in the Album Artists view. I then scanned the music library in the dashboard. But its still showing as artist 123 and has not gone. 

post-2165-0-66586000-1550421860_thumb.png

Edited by cw-kid

• 2 weeks later...

So as of today on Emby Server 4.0.2.0 I am still having problems with duplicate music album artists, that I can't get rid of, as described in this thread. 

Its my understanding that today Emby does not / can not store metadata in Artists folders where your mp3 files are stored, even if there is an artist.nfo file present.

This setting EnableSimpleArtistDetection>trueEnableSimpleArtistDetection> in the system.xml file, I've just checked my file and its not present. 

@@Luke what relevance if any does this setting have today in relation to the duplicated artist problem ? 

Thanks

It does not have any relevance anymore.

Please try this. For one of your artists that are duplicated, please remove all content associated with that artist from your emby library, then run and complete a full library scan (scan all libraries).

This will get the artists cleared out of the database. Then add it back and see if they are duplicated. Thanks.