Duplicated music artists appearing now

cw-kid

cw-kid

Hi

Was just looking through the Album Artists on the Emby web GUI and noticed some artists are duplicated with different case letters. 

I am sure they were not there previously in the past. Had a quick check of the mp3 files metadata tags and folder names on the file server and the artist names I have are correct as per musicbrainz. But perhaps I have edited the tags with the correct case at somepoint and it has not removed the old entries or something. 

Is there a way to clean the library to remove them?

5898e696e88d8_EmbyMusic1.png

5898e6a6ac498_EmbyMusic2.png

5898e6b8ac468_EmbyMusic3.png

Edited by cw-kid

Happy2Play

All your examples are upper and lower case differences.  So I would check for case differences with in embedded metadata.

cw-kid

Hi

I have for example in my metadata for a-ha all the tags are correct with a-ha lower case. 

It is possible at some point in the past the metadata was A-ha with upper case A. And I later corrected the metadata. 

But it seems the old incorrect entry in Emby remains. 

I see there is a clean database schedule task that runs but this doesn't seem to have cleared it. 

Happy2Play

There is a new issues also, since you see them duplicated, that means the Artist has metadata in two places now.  Your original /music/artist location and /metadata/artists location (edit info will show you different paths for your duplicates).

Edited by Happy2Play

cw-kid

The A-ha artist without a cover image:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\artists\A-Ha

The other a-ha artist:

\\whs\Music\a-ha

So there is some local old metadata on the servers C: drive. 

How to fix? 

Thanks

cw-kid

Looking in that artists metadata folder on the server there are 3191 folders. 

Most of these appear to be none album artists, e.g. artists off compilation albums. 

There is a "A-Ha" folder and it only contains a single file an artist.nfo file. 

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

But for some of these other artists on my screen shots above. 

For example in that server metadata C: drive folder, I cannot see any folders present for the following artists:

BT

A Flock of Seagulls

Although there is a folder present for these artists:

A-Ha

Felix da Housecat

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

I don't know about anyone else but I don't want my main metadata files to be stored on the servers C: drive. 

All metadata files for music, movies and TV shows I want to be stored in the media content folders on the file shares on the server. 

e.g. in the folder where my mp3 files are located. 

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

So I manually deleted the folders:

A-Ha

Felix da Housecat

From this directory:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\artists\

I then cleaned and re-scanned the library. 

Now when looking in Album Artists view in the web GUI I still have the duplicates for A-Ha and a-ha and also I still have duplicates for all the other artists shown in the screen shot examples. 

Edited by cw-kid

Happy2Play

Do your artist folder reflect the same case as you embedded metadata?  I will test this but I think this is a factor also.

cw-kid

Yes for example look at the screen shot of the mp3tag above. you can see the path for a-ha is \\WHS\Music\a-ha

cw-kid

Clicking on edit info again on the incorrect "A-Ha" artist with no cover image its path is still;

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\artists\A-Ha

However that folder no longer exists as I deleted the A-Ha sub folder. 

But a lot of these duplicated artists don't even have a folder present in:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\artists\

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

Hi

The Emby server has updated to Version 3.2.0.0. 

I then cleaned the database, ran a library sync and cleaned the database again for good measure. 

But alas the duplicated album artists are still appearing as before. 

Thanks

EDIT: 

The version showing in the dashboard is 3.2.0.0 and not 3.2.0.0.100 however. 

Edited by cw-kid

Does updating to the current beta 3.2.0.100 make a difference as I see there is a config removed from the system.xml (EnableSimpleArtistDetection>trueEnableSimpleArtistDetection>)?

I was probably too hasty in removing that switch. It will be added back, thanks.

cw-kid

Hi

Just updated Emby server to version 3.2.1.0 I am still having problems with these duplicated album artists and getting rid of them. 

Is there something I need to do on my end to sort it or is a fix in the pipeline ? 

Thanks

banderson1311

I'm running into the same issue.  I have updated all my tags and recreated the library but I still have all the duplicate artists.  Similar to what you are seeing the info file refers to a location that no longer exists.  It seems like maybe the artists are being kept in memory even though they no longer have an nfo file present on the C drive.  Ideally there would be a way to delete an artist from the library or database.  In the meantime I just changed the artist name to something else (ex. Delete) and they no longer appear in the list.  I can still see them if I search but at least it's not a constant issue.

Happy2Play

I'm running into the same issue.  I have updated all my tags and recreated the library but I still have all the duplicate artists.  Similar to what you are seeing the info file refers to a location that no longer exists.  It seems like maybe the artists are being kept in memory even though they no longer have an nfo file present on the C drive.  Ideally there would be a way to delete an artist from the library or database.  In the meantime I just changed the artist name to something else (ex. Delete) and they no longer appear in the list.  I can still see them if I search but at least it's not a constant issue.

Once duplicated they have metadata in two different locations.  Usually /music/artist and /metadata/artist.

banderson1311

By /music/artist do you mean the folder where the media lives?  If so, I do have metadata for all my artists there.  Due to different case in some tags (Coheed And Cambria, Coheed and Cambria) duplicate artists were created with metadata present in metadata/artist.  I cleaned up the tags, deleted the data in the metadata/artist directory, and recreated the library but still see the duplicate artists that I cleaned up on there.  

So far, renaming these duplicates has been the only way I've found to stop them from appearing in the artist list.  This works well, but the perfectionist in me is bothered by a bunch of artists named "Delete" hanging out in the database.  :)

Happy2Play

Any time I modify music I remove them from Emby and perform a library scan, database clean, and remove artist from /metadata/artists before re-adding them.

• 3 weeks later...
RaxPower

I'm experiencing the same issues with a couple of artists,

Version 3.2.5.5 beta

Artists like Deadmau5 (Incorrect) and deadmau5

I've checked the tags for all the music and Deadmau5 doesn't exist anywhere, (folder that it was looking for Deadmau5 did have an artist.nfo which i've since removed).

I have tried the fix above suggested (move/delete the folders, clean/scan library, then re-add) but the correct and the duplicate appears again.

(Same issue with Dragonforce / dragonforce).