Add Google Drive Account

Tolerant

Tolerant

I am having issues adding a Google Drive Account to Emby using the plugin for Sync'ing for Premium Users.

I have enabled the API at the google website, but what should be in "Display Name" and "Code" fields when trying to add a google account?

The Wiki says "You'll then be guided through the process of adding a Google Drive account." .. but there really is nothing to help or explain anything. Perhaps that can be explained in the Wiki instead of just saying "you will be guided".

EDIT:  "Display Name" should be the login used to sign into google, for example your gmail account.  The "Code" is then generated after you get prompted by a google page granting authorization to the app (Emby) to your Google Drive account, which gets pasted back into the Plugin config in Emby.

So I got this sorted, kinda.

Edited by Tolerant

On the config screen under the text fields there are green links that display instructions. have you tried clicking those?

Tolerant

Yes, however as I posted, the directions for what is needed and how to proceed for the Display Name and Code fields does not exist, it just says that we will be guided, which is not the case.

On a side note, I am still not sure if it was my using my login to google drive (email etc), or if it was removing preceeding and trailing spaces that were pasted in with the key and secret question.. but one of those two changes got it working to the point it gave me a code in the browser to paste in, but before that I was just lost and nothing I was trying was working and there is no info on the web to fully explain it, nor in the supplied clickable help you refer to.

Maybe you could add some mouse overs to the plug in or next to the text to make sure ppl use the correct info in those two fields, and / or  remove any preceeding and trailing spaces when data is entered... ;)

Tolerant

I used the popup link first, then the wiki, neither one told me what to do once I click "add account" in the plugin, that is what I am trying to tell you. A box that says "Display Name" and "Code" without telling you to what to enter in those two boxes is not helpful. Display name from what where? In what context? --- A Code? What code? A code from what, refering to what in relation to what?!  It just left me hanging at that point searching google for anything that made sense.

I found one post, barely, that mentioned trailing spaces in pasted codes, and somehow guessed at trying my google login.. so I am not sure which of the two things made it work.. but surely that can be expressed to people setting it up a little better.. I eventually figured it out, but after spending $99 bucks, I was just expecting things to work, not that I would have to guess and search for answers not to be found. I bring it up so you can improve the experience for the next person, not because I just want to complain. :P

Tolerant

Btw.. is there a thread that addresses the problem of sync uploads 3% to google drive, that changes to 1% and then it just hangs and a file never gets uploaded.. only folders get created? Cause I have gotten this far and now I am stuck with this problem. :(

Tolerant

Where was the display name field?

Install the plug in, go to google API, and setup and enable the Drive API, setup the Emby Plugin for Google Drive with key and secret ID.... ..   then you get to the part that *I* found to be left out of the Wiki and confusing. When the plugin actually asks you to put in the "Display Name" and "Code". Problem is, if u don't have the correct Display name (or possibly extra spaces in ID/Secret Key) then you get a 404 page and no code and no idea where to find the code. -- This is the point I got lost at, trying to understand what to put in those boxes and where to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to add a google drive bit I faced the same problem. Wasn't really a worry for me to report at the time but seeing this I will add another user that the above happened to.

• 1 year later...
Fanofscifi

Install the plug in, go to google API, and setup and enable the Drive API, setup the Emby Plugin for Google Drive with key and secret ID.... ..   then you get to the part that *I* found to be left out of the Wiki and confusing. When the plugin actually asks you to put in the "Display Name" and "Code". Problem is, if u don't have the correct Display name (or possibly extra spaces in ID/Secret Key) then you get a 404 page and no code and no idea where to find the code. -- This is the point I got lost at, trying to understand what to put in those boxes and where to find it.

First of all. Let me introduce myself. I'm Fanofscifi and a I'm a new member.  I've recently started using Emby and I'm impressed. I prefer Emby over Plex and I like that it's open source. I'm really sorry to come back on such an old post but honestly, trying to pair my Google Drive account to Emby is a nightmare. First, installing it through an API is very complicated when you've never done it before. But I've managed to get my client ID and secret. Now I have exactly the same problem as Tolerant. I put my gmail address in the 'Display name" box. Click on grant access and end up on a 404 error page. And only after closing that page the "Code" box is activated under the "Display name" box but if i put my gmail password I get a coloured circle spinning and looping over and over again. This is driving me nuts. Could anyone help me on this? Even with an invented example so I can understand.

Thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...
hatharry

Ive updated the steps for the parts google has updated in the next release. I found when copying the id and key a space " " gets inserted at the front. Remove the space at the front of the id and key, then save. That should fix the 404 problem you are having.

• 2 months later...

Can I do this and share my library with family? 

Hi there, can you explain more about what you're trying to accomplish? Thanks !