Some General TV/PVR Questions

crusing

I have recently installed Emby Server and I am trying to decide if I will keep using it. I had been using MythTV with a KODI front end running on Ubuntu for the last couple of years. I use an HD Homerun Prime as my tuner.  I am using the Emby Kodi add-on as my primary client. I think I know the answers to these questions but I thought I would confirm them first, as I am deciding if I should purchase the lifetime Premier membership. 

1. There is no way to search the TV guide to setup recordings currently? This seems like a weird omission with the great search function in Emby.

2. There is no conflict handling at all for scheduled recordings?

3. What happens if I am using a tuner on another client or application when a recording starts? Does Emby take the tuner?

4. I am using the HDhomerun PVR add-on for Kodi for live TV, but I miss timeshifting. Is this on the roadmap?

5. Are there any plans for a full Kodi PVR addon?

Appreciate any responses. I have searched on many of these items but frequently turn up old posts.

jasonmcroy

I will try and answer as best as I can. Someone else feel free to correct me or give additional info.

#1 - From Kodi, I don't think so. You can do this from the web client and the Android TV App. I am not sure about the Emby Theater App as I don't use it that often.

#2 - No, not at the moment. I am sure it's something they would want to implement though.

#3 - Emby won't take the tuner you are using. It will grab the next one available. However, if you are on the same channel that is being recorded it will use that tuner. 

#4 - Timeshifting at the moment can only be done from the Web client, Emby Theater (on Windows and XBox One). It will be coming for other clients I am sure. Probably Android would be next I'd imagine.

#5 - I know there has been talk about it but it seem that it's something not easy to do? So, not too sure about that one.

What device are you using Kodi on? There is a great addon for the Shield TV and if you're on Windows 10 then Emby Theater is awesome.

I will try and answer as best as I can. Someone else feel free to correct me or give additional info.

#1 - From Kodi, I don't think so. You can do this from the web client and the Android TV App. I am not sure about the Emby Theater App as I don't use it that often.

#2 - No, not at the moment. I am sure it's something they would want to implement though.

#3 - Emby won't take the tuner you are using. It will grab the next one available. However, if you are on the same channel that is being recorded it will use that tuner. 

#4 - Timeshifting at the moment can only be done from the Web client, Emby Theater (on Windows and XBox One). It will be coming for other clients I am sure. Probably Android would be next I'd imagine.

#5 - I know there has been talk about it but it seem that it's something not easy to do? So, not too sure about that one.

What device are you using Kodi on? There is a great addon for the Shield TV and if you're on Windows 10 then Emby Theater is awesome.

Thanks for the info. On #1 I must have been inpatient. I setup all my recordings the hard way, but now I went back into the web client and it is returning guide items which it wasn't the first time I tried. I wonder if it takes time to index the guide database? I am using ubuntu for my primary client and my server. I hate to go back to windows but I wonder if Emby is better supported there. I have a mixture of other devices. Ipad, Apple TV, Openelec Kodi box. Now that the search is working my main pain points seem to be time-shifting and conflict resolution. Its good to know timeshifitng exists elsewhere as that gives me hope it is coming.

jasonmcroy

Glad to hear you got search working.

As far as time shifting it depends on how bad you want it. Personally I feel like things work better and come quicker to the Windows and Android platform. If you want the ability now then going with Windows is an option. Keep in mind that for full functionality with Emby Theater you would need a premier membership. You could always sign up for a month subscription just to see if it works like you expect and want. In my opinion, the Lifetime is worth it but you should test it first. The Devs and other users are very helpful if you run into problems. 

Good luck!

Oh, I meant to add that there is a Dev working on a Linux version of Emby Theater. It's only in Alpha stage right now but he has a post on it here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42868-emby-theater-for-linux/

Edited by jasonmcroy

my main pain points seem to be time-shifting and conflict resolution. Its good to know timeshifitng exists elsewhere as that gives me hope it is coming.

These are on our radar for upcoming releases, thanks !

• Like 1