Accessing Emby library (Native) with UNC paths working on one machine and not another.

Wintersdark

Wintersdark

I'm currently looking at moving from a shared MySQL database on my server to an Emby backend for my HTPC network, and I've run into a vexing problem.

Emby for Kodi version 2.3.42, Kodi Jarvis.

My library is set up as shown here on my Ubuntu based server:

58903e1ca4b9f__FolderSetup.jpg

And similarly for /mnt/pool/TV -> \\192.168.0.10\mnt\pool\TV

I installed Kodi for testing on my Windows desktop, set up Emby for Kodi, and it Just Works - here's 300's path as shown in Kodi:

58903f559c1e9__MovieOnDesktop.jpg

So, it's smb://192.168.0.10/mnt/pool/Movies/....

Now, when I head over to my nVidia Shield, set Emby up there in exactly the same (all defaults) manner, I get an error while attempting to sync the libraries saying Kodi can't find the file - with the same path given (smb://192.168.0.10/mnt/pool/Movies..... ).  

Troubleshooting this, I go to the file manager, and add as a source: smb://192.168.0.10/mnt/pool/Movies and it cannot connect (Error 2: Share not available).  Change the smb to nfs, however, and it works just fine.  On my desktop, both work.  

I really don't understand why the samba shares aren't working here.  

Edit: I CAN browse my samba shares on the Shield, so it does have access to them - in fact, it pulls ROMs from there for my emulators.  

Now, I understand this is a problem technically outside of Emby's scope, when all is said and done.  My question, however, is:

Is there any way I can have Emby use nfs instead of smb?  I'm assuming Emby is adding the smb: to the start of the paths, as I *don't* have that in the paths in my Folder Management.  

Edited by Wintersdark

Wintersdark

Aaaaah, curious.  I think I've nailed it down, moments after posting this.  I'll leave this here, in case anyone else has this issue.

Knowing that I could access my smb shares on the shield, I tried just browsing to them in Kodi on the shield.  This worked, and I was able to access the shares.  However, the Kodi file explorer showed the path to be "smb://SERVER/Pool/Movies" (server resolves to 192.168.0.10, of course, either work)... the /mnt/ part was excluded.  Doing this on my Windows installation resulted in the same thing - manually browsing in the file manager to samba > workgroup > server > pool > movies resulted in the same "smb://SERVER/Pool/Movies" path.

For some reason, there's a difference in how the Windows version of Kodi resolves samba share paths and the Android version of Kodi.  

Even in Windows' own explorer, I can simply enter \\192.168.0.10\mnt\pool\Movies and get to that folder.  That does not work in Android. 

Strange. 

I would like to know, though - as I asked at the end of my last post, is it possible to use nfs instead of smb paths in Emby?

Wintersdark

You can probably use path substitution on the server to change the smb to nfs

Haven't tried, but I'm curious.  

I'm not sure what's adding the smb: to the start of the UNC path, as I certainly didn't.  I believe it's Emby doing that, as I've never seen Kodi do that on it's own, but obviously I'm no developer.  I'm suspicious if I'll end up with smb:nfs://SERVER/etcetc

I'll have to give it a try and see what happens.  I'd sooner run NFS than Samba, as I get better throughput there and it certainly matters when I'm feeding multiple HTPC's simultaneously. 

Edited by Wintersdark

mastrmind11

Haven't tried, but I'm curious.  

I'm not sure what's adding the smb: to the start of the UNC path, as I certainly didn't.  I believe it's Emby doing that, as I've never seen Kodi do that on it's own, but obviously I'm no developer.  I'm suspicious if I'll end up with smb:nfs://SERVER/etcetc

I'll have to give it a try and see what happens.  I'd sooner run NFS than Samba, as I get better throughput there and it certainly matters when I'm feeding multiple HTPC's simultaneously. 

Plenty of us run NFS w/o problems. Go for it.

Wintersdark

Plenty of us run NFS w/o problems. Go for it.

Awesome, good to know, thanks!

Edit: Hmmm.  How?

I changed my folder substitution paths to nfs:\\SERVER\mnt\pool\Movies, and on database reset Emby says "Kodi can't locate file:

nfs:smb://SERVER/mnt/pool/Movies/etcetc

So the smb: is getting inserted there somehow =/

Edit: Solved.

Apparently, it has to do with slash vs. backslash.

If my UNC path is:

nfs:\\SERVER\mnt\pool\Movies

emby translates it to nfs:smb://SERVER/mnt/pool/Movies

however, if it's:

nfs://SERVER/mnt/pool/Movies

emby passes it along without sneaking in a smb:

Edited by Wintersdark