Emby with Amazon Alexa

chef

@@nxenos83 I feel that this change in the code is of great importance.

We have to use "NameContains" in the InternalItemQuerys.

I was having waaaay to many mis-recognition from the echo.

Example it was hearing the movie "Trolls" as "Troll", so it couldn't find any matches in the ItemQuery because it was looking for exactly "Troll"

Once I changed "Name = movieTitle" to "NameContains = movieTitle", there was better responses.

However! this might cause issues for movies that have sequels, like "Iron Man", and "Iron Man 2".

I'll let you know.

Edit: Nevermind, "NameContains" is sooooo much better!

I can ask for: "Age of Ultron"

and Alexa responds with "Playing Avengers: Age of Ultron"

I'm so excited! this is turning out awesome!

If you pass the entire BaseItem of the requested movie to the "PlayMovie" subroutine, you can fill out an entire string for Alexa to say about the item.

Edited by chef
  • Like 2

nxenos83

I hadn't thought about mutiple echo units. Oh boy...

So it would be better to have each unit converse with one emby device, unless it is request by the user to switch.

Luckily I have taken a weeks vacation from work! Lol!

I have work travel scheduled for this week = boring nights in a hotel = time to do some coding.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like amazon is providing a way to identify the requesting device (despite feature requests for this dating back to 2015). Until the time comes that amazon adds it, I think the best bet is to store and segregate play to device per amazon account id. I believe the plugin config I had sketched out in the code I sent you could handle it.

I'm thinking I'll set up a different amazon account for each echo.

nxenos83

@@nxenos83 I feel that this change in the code is of great importance.

We have to use "NameContains" in the InternalItemQuerys.

I was having waaaay to many mis-recognition from the echo.

Example it was hearing the movie "Trolls" as "Troll", so it couldn't find any matches in the ItemQuery because it was looking for exactly "Troll"

Once I changed "Name = movieTitle" to "NameContains = movieTitle", there was better responses.

However! this might cause issues for movies that have sequels, like "Iron Man", and "Iron Man 2".

I'll let you know.

Edit: Nevermind, "NameContains" is sooooo much better!

I can ask for: "Age of Ultron"

and Alexa responds with "Playing Avengers: Age of Ultron"

I'm so excited! this is turning out awesome!

If you pass the entire BaseItem of the requested movie to the "PlayMovie" subroutine, you can fill out an entire string for Alexa to say about the item.

That's great.  To deal with multiple returned items, maybe look into using the closest matching algorithm that you posted before. If you first filter by name contains and then run the distance calculation or the filtered group, processing time should be pretty low.

• Like 1

Still experiencing some Mis recognitions though.

Edited by chef
  • Like 7

maegibbons

@@chef very cool!!

I want it all!!  But especially emby to play my recordings!!!

Great work!!!

Krs

Mark

I was racking my brain, as to the reason alexa was giving me such a hard time when asking for certain movies.

I couldn't figure it out.

Then it dawned on me. Alexa has a really hard time understanding the word "EMBY" (witch sucks)

I changed my skill name to "Home Theater" and I haven't had any issues since.

Wounder what to do about that?? The skill should most certainly be branded.

• Like 2

AdrianW

Alexa has difficulty with accents - I'm in Australia but have a mixed Aussie/Yorkshire accent - when I ask her to turn off the lounge light, she oftens says that there's no device called "lambs light".  ^_^

• Like 1

CBers

Still experiencing some Mis recognitions though.

Excellent work @@chef.

We all have mis-recognitions, even with basic Alexa commands :D

@@nxenos83

You asked about my Arduino motorized blinds. I made this little video for ya! Yep the binds are a bit loud, but they only take a moment to open/close. :)

• Like 3

@@chef can you link up Alexa to the Arduino?

Yeah you can :)

using Vera home automation, you can.

Check out MySensors Serial Gateway.

It uses a 2.4 GHz transceiver which Vera understands.

All you have to do is use the HA Bridge Java based server (on github - it mimics Phillip hue bridge) which controls Vera from Alexa.

Not as complicated as it sounds.

Then you have to send http request to Vera from Echo (through the HA Bridge) and it sends out the command over your 2.4 GHz gateway to what ever Arduino device.

You could probably skip Vera and write a basic serial port program in c#, plug the gateway into your computer, accept endpoint data from an Alexa's custom Skill, and send gateway commands out through the PC instead of Vera.

Totally possible. I plan on getting it working by the end of the week lol!

:)

Edited by chef

just had a thought while reading this thread, since emby does music, would "emby, play Sinatra on Kitchen Sonos" work?  if so Emby could take on another customer base with the Sonos community.   I believe Sonos has been working on a solution ith Echo, but with the blogs i have been readying they are having design/delay issues  

just had a thought while reading this thread, since emby does music, would "emby, play Sinatra on Kitchen Sonos" work? if so Emby could take on another customer base with the Sonos community. I believe Sonos has been working on a solution ith Echo, but with the blogs i have been readying they are having design/delay issues

Does Sonso show up in emby DLNA devices?

If so, then yes that will work if the Sonos is named "Kitchen Sonos".

Yes.

In that case it is very important for the plugin to check for clientCapbilities before it attempts to play any media to devices.

It is suggested on the emby wiki, that each app checks, but it isn't something that always is written in.

For Alexa it is important.

I wonder how clientCapabilities work on the server side? Will DLNA devices report audio only?

Gotta check that out for sure.

Edited by chef

I wonder how clientCapabilities work on the server side? Will DLNA devices report audio only?

other than an @@Luke to get an answer, is there anything some of us can do to test/assist?

"I wonder how clientCapabilities work on the server side? Will DLNA devices report audio only?"

the discussion was regarding dlna devices, specifically SONOS

What is the specific question is it relates to sonos? e.g. how did you even get to client capabilities?

Sonos only plays audio right?

So, we would have to have the Alexa client say something when someone tried to play a movie on Sonos.

"That client can not play video".

I guess it wouldn't really matter, the Alexa client wouldn't do anything but stop listening because of the playback error (which would be caught in a try catch).

As long as the person requests the audio, it will work.

Edited by chef